TDF 2019: Stage 3, Binche > Épernay 08/07/2019 - 215 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Binche > Épernay 08/07/2019 - Stage 3 - 215 km

At 215 kilometres, the 3rd stage of the Tour de France travels from Binche to Épernay, which is located at the heart of the Champagne region. The hilly finale suits the Classics riders.

stage-3-tdf-2019-map-700h.png

Stage 3 takes the riders south from Binche, and they cross the border from Belgium to France after 12km. Initially, they are in the département du Nord, then they cross into the Aisne, very briefly visit the Ardennes before returning to the Aisne, and finally enter the Marne.
It’s been a while since La Grande Boucle last finished in the commercial centre in the Champagne region. Actually, the biggest cycling race in the world arrived only once in Épernay. In 1963, Belgian rider Eddy Pauwels won that year’s 1st stage to catapult himself into the yellow jersey.

Reims is the major city on the route.

stage-3-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

The route of the Tour de France’s 3rd stage runs on flat roads to a finale for puncheurs. The last 50 kilometres feature a series of sharp hills – Côte de Nanteuil-la-Forêt (1.1 kilometres at 6.8%), Côte d’Hautvillers (900 metres at 10.5%), Côte de Champillon (1.8 kilometres at 6.6%),

tour-de-france-2019-stage-3-climb-n5-a2da9fcabc.jpg

Côte de Mutigny (900 metres at 12.2%) and Côte du Mont Bernon (1 kilometre at 5%) -, all with the potential to eliminate fast men.

stage-3-mutigny.jpg

Furthermore, the ASO introduces a novelty to pep up the battle for the maillot jaune. Bonus seconds (8, 5 and 3) will be on offer at the Mutigny with 15 kilometres to go. The Mont Bernon is crested with 4 kilometres out, while the run-in to the line is also uphill. To be precise: the last 500 metres climb at 8%.

bf191

Pure sprinters won’t stand a chance on this terrain, but it will be interesting to see how the likes of Sagan and Matthews cope. And what about Van Aert? Winning two stages, the cyclocross champion recently made a spectacular stage race debut at the Critérium du Dauphiné.

Favourites 3rd stage 2019 Tour de France

***** Peter Sagan, Julian Alaphilippe
**** Greg Van Avermaet, Wout Van Aert, Michael Matthews
*** Maximilian Schachmann, Alejandro Valverde, Sonny Colbrelli, Michal Kwiatkowski
** Matteo Trentin, Tim Wellens, Alberto Bettiol
* Rui Costa, Tony Gallopin, Wilco Kelderman, Daryl Impey

Binche
Population: 33,000
Binche hosted the 2018 Belgian road championship won by Yves Lampaert, who sported his national jersey on the roads of the Tour de France, during which his Quick Step team won four stages. Lampaert also finished second of the semi-classic 2018 Binche-Chimay-Binche won by Danny van Poppel. The race, created in 1911, had a n up-and-down history and was resurrected in 2010 under the guise of Franck Vandenbroucke Memorial to honour the man who won it in 1996. In 2013, the Hainaut city was also the start of the Fleche Wallonne, won that year by Daniel Moreno.

The town is home to team Wanty Groupe Gobert and among the riders born in Binche feature Albert Dubuisson, professional between 1938 and 1952, who took part in the 1950 Tour de France, the year he won the Tour of Belgium.

A listed carnival

The Binche carnival is an exceptional living heritage, an extraordinary human, social and cultural event. As such, its was listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage event in 2003. This folkloric carnival, born from a long oral tradition, consists in a genuine ritual whose participants feel like they belong to something unique. Locals have a saying that goes “There is only one Binche in the world.”

75c72

Specialities: Binche doubles (small pancakes stuffed with cheese),

double%20binchoise.jpg?itok=yvDMU-KZ&hash=0e886a3d1495b068f8e652007139a572f12c10352749ec8e6afc6bfdee0fc397

La Binchoise beer, Ruffus sparkling wine, Binche gin, Binche lace.

binchoise-bruin-82-13l.jpg

Épernay
Population: 24,000. 50,530 hab. for the 47 communes of Epernay Agglo Champagne.

The capital of champagne saw the Tour de France peloton for the first in 1963 for the 50th edition of the race. The starter of the day’s menu was a promising one as Federico Bahamontes attacked on the flat and took a 1:30 lead. It was enough for Jacques Anquetil to react after crashing at km 20 but not enough to prevent him from eventually winning his 4th Tour. That day, Eddy Pauwels had taken everything that was up for grabs – the stage and the yellow jersey. Already in the Tour GC lead for two days in 1959, the Belgian won four stages in his career and finished five times in the top 20. The Tour made it back it town for starts in 1978 (Jan Raas won the stage), for a team time trial won by the ONCE team in 2002, in 2010 for a bunch sprint dominated by Mark Cavendish in Montargis and in 2012 for a Peter Sagan victory in Metz. The last time the Tour came to Epernay in 2014, Matteo Trentin raised his arms in Nancy, scoring his second Tour victory after the one clinched in Lyon in 2013. The Italian belongs to the happy few who won stages in the three Grand Tours. Epernay is also the birthplace of John Gadret but also of Marcel Huot, winner of a Tour de France stage in 1928 and of Jean-Pierre Boulard, crowned in the 1968 Tour de l’Avenir.

Avenue de Champagne
A dozen champagne houses among the most famous in he world are located on the avenue: Moet & Chandon, Mercier, Boizel, Comtesse Lafond, De Castellane, Esterlin, Perrier-Jouët, Pol Roger, De Venoge, Demoiselle, A. Bergere… Avenue de Champagne is one of the sites chosen in the Champagne bid for the UNESCO World Heritage.

43b48

Specialities: champagne, champagne ratafia, marc de champagne, potée champenoise (stew)

Avenue-de-Champagne_%C2%A9C.-Manquillet-1.jpg

?image=%2Fdmsimgs%2Fchampagne(1).jpg&action=ProductDetail
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Champagne is another name given to horses of a palomino colour. Check out this handsome chap.

d476b168dbc85e044de23189ab81bdf4.jpg

Meanwhile the nearby cathedral of Reims has a cow gargoyle...

IMG_3465.JPG
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,596
    Quite interested to see how this one turns out
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Bold prediction. Tim Wellens will attack
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Quite interested to see how this one turns out

Sagan v Alaphillipe sounds about right, GVA van Aert possibly in the mix.
    Probably not quite enough for the GC boys to get anything out of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Bold prediction. Tim Wellens will attack

Maybe not actually if he's kept on the leash for Ewan, who should have a decent chance I'd have thought. I'll still just back Sagan each way though
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    I am really looking forward to tomorrow's final climb.

Sorry if there is a world wide shortage of Bollinger next year.

view?usp=drivesdk

1-5AEAvP6QUA57Y0DxrGG20oO6lJpc334
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    A lot of riders could win this.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    A lot of riders could win this.

WvA
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I fear a significant crash near the end. GC teams would be well advised to make the last 30k hard to thin numbers out
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    RichN95 wrote:
    I fear a significant crash near the end. GC teams would be well advised to make the last 30k hard to thin numbers out

Is it significantly twisty or narrow?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Well this was the same road where in I think 2012 there was that horrific crash which took out so many riders with serious injuries. Think it was into Metz.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Is it significantly twisty or narrow?
    Usually the GC teams will drop back a bit once they pass the 3k mark, but for this there may be time gaps so everyone will be doing trains to the last 500m.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:

Well this was the same road where in I think 2012 there was that horrific crash which took out so many riders with serious injuries.

The one that did for Poels? If I recall correctly, that was narrow but straight where that crash happened.

Anyhow not the squigglies but the ups and down in more detail.

421_82196817f34bbe7a05b00784794a58f7.jpg?Expires=1562784950&Signature=XlOL7weIyMtqZcAfOBJpYsc-1ccXki6LI7gF1yonzyk7FRbOBgGay7B5mQw9XDhdgzzDVAjm2bq2YwjKZVUzFKHjN76n70fqh80FBORpVhnfCa9rfX4g9ZxN0ZRWr6iX7bUGkzsxUPXEeK94oYn8XnrGc9lS~N-av9168~H2K4E66CVwCjkujXNNrZmVxJo3rgAF1nCLLzlsPnsfepNEIdBB0zM23ex5njTm3YkOBRabPF2o-3OZvvNJ~e5MriZs4-EdFAEjCAQcB7nNhS8Z-0GxbO7wZtbV8K0xz9v3fo6EbxqwoXvZigG0WQG45nMCgmpY1z8WXP~UAUvZGBnm7A__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA
  • rick_chasey
    Same one yeah. (Avondetappe intel innit)
  • RichN95.
    **** Peter Sagan, Julian Alaphilippe
    **** Greg Van Avermaet, Wout Van Aert, Michael Matthews
    *** Maximilian Schachmann, Alejandro Valverde, Sonny Colbrelli, Michal Kwiatkowski
    ** Matteo Trentin, Tim Wellens, Alberto Bettiol
    * Rui Costa, Tony Gallopin, Wilco Kelderman, Daryl Impey
    In the latest instalment of me judging your stars, I think Thomas is worth a star or two. He'll be top ten IMO
  • rick_chasey
    BOLD CALL
  • RichN95.
    BOLD CALL

Fixed that

It will be like when they went up the Muur a couple of years ago and Froome came second. GC riders take priority. So some who might contend will actually be babysitting. Thomas - an experienced classics guy - can get close. Or he'll crash.
  • blazing_saddles

Didn't have time to watch it as well as Vive le Velo,(with guest, young Mr Evenepoel) last night. Did record it though, so will check it out..
  • rick_chasey

Didn't have time to watch it as well as Vive le Velo,(with guest, young Mr Evenepoel) last night. Did record it though, so will check it out..

Is right at the end.

Was a good episode - Theo Bos, Sven Nys and Jos van Emden.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    BOLD CALL

Fixed that

It will be like when they went up the Muur a couple of years ago and Froome came second. GC riders take priority. So some who might contend will actually be babysitting. Thomas - an experienced classics guy - can get close. Or he'll crash.

I just wonder if they let a break go down the road to calm it down a bit. Especially with the bonus seconds up for grabs half way down.

(sorry if I am more full of sh!t today than usual, I am on cumulative 6hrs sleep for the whole weekend)
  • blazing_saddles

Is right at the end.

Was a good episode - Theo Bos, Sven Nys and Jos van Emden.

Just seen it.
    The interview with Poels a year on from the crash and see how much it still haunted him....
  • rick_chasey
    I know, right?!

It was a horrific crash.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Re. Thomas it'll be interesting how he plays it, will he want to put a marker down that he is team leader? I suppose we don't really know what the team have told the riders but if I were him I'd want to take time on Bernal if possible even if it's only small change.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Have a sneaky suspicion Bernal's gonna clip away from the GC-men on these short steep climbs
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Do these roads suit Bernal? It's not just the gradients but the positioning to get into the climb in the right position. Perhaps they do I'm aware of Bernal's talent in terms of w/kg but not so much how good he is at the skills required to be at the front when it matters.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ShutupJens
    I'm not convinced that Thomas will be worried about what Bernal is up to, more so just generally keeping out of trouble and getting through unscathed. He won't be able to compete for the win amongst Sagan, Alaphillipe et al.

With regards to Bernals talent in terms of being on the front when it matters, he did alright in the crosswinds last year I believe when he was at a much bigger disadvantage
  • rick_chasey
    Ambitious to expect GC action today, save for crashes.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Can kruijswijk win the tour?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Can kruijswijk win the tour?

Odds say no. Small chance.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I think he will need others to fail for him to come out on top.
    Half man, Half bike