Which front derailleur do I need?

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited July 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm in the process of building a Brother Big Bro, and have come to a grinding halt.
The FD I was going to use isn't compatible with the frame, it's a clamp on type, and needs a direct mount.
I've ordered this bracket/adaptor from their website
https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/acce ... t-adapter/
But I'm not sure which mech to get. Ideally, I'd like to run the cable along the top tube and down the seat post. The rest of the drive train is all Deore M6000 2x10 speed.
Also, before anyone mentions it, I'm not keen on going for a 1x system, unless/until I decide to go 11 speed :D

Cheers

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited July 2019
    EDIT: wrong link.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • andy9964
    I'd looked at that one, but wasn't sure if it worked with my shifter. Though IIRC, MTB parts co-operate better than road stuff. I'll give it a punt for what it costs.
    Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Apart from the latest Shimano side pull (and electric shifting obviously), MTB front mechs are all interchangeable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Andy9964 wrote:
    The FD I was going to use isn't compatible with the frame, it's a clamp on type, and needs a direct mount.
    I've ordered this bracket/adaptor from their website
    https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/acce ... t-adapter/

Are you saying the frame made for a clamp on derailleur or you can't attach a clamp on derailleur?

Do you have a direct mount derailleur that you want to attach to a frame made for a clamp mount derailleur?
    JBA wrote:
    You can buy a direct mount FD for less than that adaptor.
    How about THIS?

For the OP buy that adapter, it implies to me that the frame is made for a clamp on derailleur and doesn't have a direct mount on it.
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I'd looked at that one, but wasn't sure if it worked with my shifter.

Do you already have a direct mount derailleur or you just want to use one?
  • JBA
    cobba wrote:
    JBA wrote:
    You can buy a direct mount FD for less than that adaptor.
    How about THIS?

For the OP buy that adapter, it implies to me that the frame is made for a clamp on derailleur and doesn't have a direct mount on it.

You're right, cobra. I wasn't paying attention. Something like THIS or THIS would be suitable then.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • andy9964
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The FD I have/wanted to use is a clamp on type, like those in JBA's last post. The frame has a dropper cable port right where it would normally clamp onto the frame.
    I'm assuming the adaptor sits above the port, and has the direct mount bit sitting lower on the drive side
    This is what I have, you can see the port cover on the right side of the seat tube (yes, it, and the cranks need cleaning :lol: )

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6kVUkMBybLqCTA986

mdV7UswOv1RJffbzHD9_3tGCgKytwaM1FghCDJCSmIY8cEbyIJnUgKVug4WIRdKw3_2bIjBlAD1fH5F4dLGOIZjyAtK3ccg9WK_aI4HpwhjPBXw8ez1W7aVuFAAjFXCrNx2wWFedRud7eDzqfnfg4tnpe5pIlVEUrRR3eoTsPfXhUyOFgFlfFn6FStLrCpC3snUlFmoFxAdG0B6ZkKal6cxCvGR_qV-LZyMgRxRY7Cgi8MrXY2uQPIDKgt_KTy0CsgPRBJsdNc3fqKYMr6DCcnhNhCXQkN8KBAVJ1Od-RrX8Xj8bako2BhFcayUJMOqIRlWRmpOnfxGmewn4ZzEygSh6rgtNCN55F9kAR8k8ht6Z9bIsg2OVq0e3EkGvZRSkdwsmDqpDPdHioJQlTCJpPFOMQ1-5ij_L3jSlHG_dawSf-hxZpNyPIW2nDtQUo4fGOS_DNx_ExEzZ8nj_wKmisguSwQNrBI7WtwKSfGf7fDIwzAOe3hJFR6FWIK6hq_Tt68ZI8t7URKGErXjOXQq0gbnf8chdUssQ4qqonnORZdbff2qyQybG7jxy_kenb-GAmx-qTHzRFoaK4paK5eKioVDwsyWn9Lla_lCT1jzjNrjExtrZmBXGm4t4_U05-LCBj6RHaBB87QSc1rqJogptb4WFTj-w6jQ=w499-h883-no
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Andy9964 wrote:
    The frame has a dropper cable port right where it would normally clamp onto the frame.
    This is what I have, you can see the port cover on the right side of the seat tube

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6kVUkMBybLqCTA986

That photo shows what's going on.

I see there's currently a Clamp Band Adapter on the derailleur clamp, if that's the correct thickness for the seat tube, you might be able to use that derailleur if you trim down or cut a section out of the clamp band adapter where the dropper cable port is.

The clamp band adapter looks to be a similar thickness as the protruding dropper cable port.
  • JBA
    You can buy high clamp band and low clamp band front derailleurs. One or the other should clear the dropper cable port.
    Buy both, see which is best suited and return the other one.

• andy9964
    cobba wrote:

I see there's currently a Clamp Band Adapter on the derailleur clamp, if that's the correct thickness for the seat tube, you might be able to use that derailleur if you trim down or cut a section out of the clamp band adapter where the dropper cable port is.

The clamp band adapter looks to be a similar thickness as the protruding dropper cable port.

Wow, good spot, I didn't even know that existed. Sadly, it only fits the tube without the adaptors, so that (very good) idea wont work :(
    I've ordered the £7 derailleur from CR - as mentioned earlier but edited out, and their own adaptor
    Thanks to both of you