TDF 2019: Stage 2, Bruxelles Palais Royal > Brussel Atomium 07/07/2019 - 27.6kms TTT *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Bruxelles Palais Royal > Brussel Atomium 07/07/2019 - Stage 2 - 27,6 km - Team Time-Trial

The Tour de France's 2nd stage is a team time trial of 27.6 kilometres in Brussels, Belgium. The start podium is located near the Royal Palace. The teams ride to Ter Kamerenbos, a park on the south side of Brussels. As the finish is near the Atomium, which lies on the north side, the route moves through the city to get to the arrival.The roads are wide and straight. It is a perfect parcours to go all out.

stage-2-tdf-2019-map-750h.png

The route features four sloping sections. The first one appears at kilometre 1.4, when the road climbs for 600 metres at 4%. A similar gradient holds on for 800 metres at kilometre 9.8, while the shortest upslope – 300 metres, at kilometre 13 – goes up at 4%. With 3.3 kilometres left the last incline is 800 metres and averaging 3.5%.

stage-2-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

A change in the race lead is highly possible today, and even this early, time gaps between teams with overall ambitions may have an impact later on – but last year’s team time trial in Cholet saw just 11 seconds separating the fastest five teams, with the now-defunct BMC taking the win.

Last Kms.

53a11

The first team sets off at 1430 and is expected to finish at 1500. The last team starts at 1615 and finishes around 1645.

Favourites 2nd stage 2019 Tour de France

Arguably, Jumbo-Visma, Team Sunweb, Mitchelton-Scott and Bahrain-Merida are the best teams when it comes to time trialing. Looking at their 2019 credentials, Jumbo-Visma won the UAE Tour TTT, while Mitchelton-Scott bested them on the Tirreno-Adriatico. Obviously, the strength of a team depends on its players, so Team Ineos – with Thomas, Castroviejo and Bernal – is another force to be reckoned with.

*** Jumbo-Visma, Team Ineos
** EF Education First, Bahrain-Merida, Mitchelton-Scott
* Movistar, Astana, Deceuninck Quick-Step

Brussels Royal Palace

With the Palace of the Nation, home to the Federal Parliament, which lies at the other end of the Royal Park, the Royal Place of Brussels is a symbol of constitutional monarchy. It is the administrative residence of the King and his main workplace. Built between 1815 and 1829, it was the reunion of four older 18th century town houses. Since 1965, it has become a tradition for the Royal Palace of Brussels to be accessible to the public every summer after the National Day on July 21 until the beginning of September.

royal-palace-and-brussels-park.jpg

Km 16-Etterbeek
The Triumphal Arch and its perfectly symmetrical colonnades in the Parc du Cinquantenaire in Brussels, Belgium.

belgium-3595338_960_720.jpg

Km 23-Laeken

Sights:

Notre-Dame de Laeken church
The 19th century neo-Gothic church stands at the end of Avenue de la Reine in Laeken. Built for King Leopold I to house the remains of his wife, Queen Louise-Marie of Orleans (whose memory is honoured by the avenue name), it has become the necropolis of the Belgian royal family.

Laeken_01-1414154931.jpg

Royal Palace of Laeken
This chateau in the Louis XVI style was built on the spot of an old manor purchased by general governors Marie-Christine and Albert, Dukes of Teschen. Nopoleon Bonparte bought the domain and embellished it to offer it to his spouse Josephine of Beauharnais. It later became the residence of William I, king of the Netherlands bevore becoming the residence of the Belgian kings.

Castle_of_Laeken.jpg?resize=1000%2C600

Paling in 't groen
Paling in 't groen is a Flemish regional dish, mainly from the area along the River Scheldt between Dendermonde and Antwerp. The Dutch language name (literally 'Eel in the Green') refers to freshwater eel in a green herb sauce. The traditionally home-made meal is also sold fully prepared but still uncooked by some fishmongers' shops or market stalls, and can be enjoyed in specialty restaurants.

1200px-Paling_in_t_groen.jpg

OK, ok some craft beers as well.

1280.jpg?width=1300&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=b6472ae1fd45c0fe4f84c82c984e2187
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    CCC not worth a star? I known they're not BMC, but Pinotti is still coaching them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    The crash in the final couple of kms has led to an interesting starting order for the TTT.

Ineos
    Arkea
    Astana
    Groupama
    Ag2r
    Movistar
    Direct Energie
    CCC
    UAE
    Trek
    Katusha
    Cofidis
    Dimension Data
    Sunweb
    Bora
    Lotto-Soudal
    Mitchelton-Scott
    Bahrain-Merida
    Education First
    Deceuninck-Quickstep
    Wanty Groupe Gobert
    Jumbo-Visma

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/sta ... 5244793856
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I take it there's no hot seat in a TTT? If there is Ineos could be sitting there for a while!
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I take it there's no hot seat in a TTT? If there is Ineos could be sitting there for a while!
    I bet the won’t sit there. They may do a shift each and turn up near the end if they’re going to win.
  • RichN95.
    BTW A reminder that it's the fourth rider that stops the clock for 8 man teams
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    there was a hot seat for the Giro Rosa Stage 1 TTT, I presumed it was a essentially UCI requirement, as its hardly a TV coverage ask for the Giro Rosa
  • RichN95.
    Last year Sky went off second and finished second. First off were Mitchelton who came 4th. Winners BMC went off 5th. Third placed team Quick Step, the penultimate starters.
    Start order doesn't really matter.
  • Anyone know where they will all be parked and warming up? Is it worth a walk to this area or is access too restricted?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Today's horse is Sam the Zebra-Horse of Bruxelles Midi/Brussel Zuid station, who was the centre of a struggle between station regulars who enjoyed his eccentric presence and evil corporate capitalist sandwich making conglomerate Pret à Manger who removed him in May this year when they opened a spot in the station.

sam.jpg

Méabh Maguire described Sam as "a national treasure - or at least a very helpful landmark... Brussels folk love Sam the zebra-horse. He's weird and wonderful just like this city. Don't get rid of him."

Venetia Spencer added: "Please don’t retire Sam. He’s been making me smile and buy a coffee ever since I first got off a Eurostar to live here in Brussels - 14 years and counting."

Sam has even played an important match-making role. Simon O'Connor wrote: "When Marta came to visit me in Brussels after not seeing each other for 12 years, we met by Sam, the horse disguised as a zebra. Sam brought us luck: we got married 10 months later."

https://www.thebulletin.be/save-sam-midi-station-zebra-horse-be-removed-pret-manger

Pret à Manger say that Sam has been retired somewhere safe.

Reports that he has been putting his hooves up at Pedro Delgado's donkey sanctuary remain unconfirmed.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Todays end credit music (including tenuous Kraftwerk connection)

https://open.spotify.com/album/2weNkFPHsIekG82F3vBIBm
  • awavey
    Eurosports Matt Roberts (motorbikes) just declared it must be a 127.6km stage, becauses 27.6 would be too short :lol:
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    Eurosports Matt Roberts (motorbikes) just declared it must be a 127.6km stage, becauses 27.6 would be too short :lol:
    In 1978 they had a 153km TTT
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Keeping it safe with my annual waste of money and backing Yellow Lotto to finish top 3 today. Used my winnings from Sagan top 3 yesterday. Safe as houses
  • blazing_saddles
    Ineos have kicked it off.
  • RichN95.
    If Ineos win and beat Jumbo by more than 10 seconds the new yellow jersey could be.....

Gianni Moscon

That'll be fun.

I think they may jettison him before the end. Then it will be Bernal.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    What do people think of this Ineos conspiracy theory that they engineered their early start?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    "Hello it's Bradley Wiggins the man with the master plan." :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    I have an occasional office at ULB in Brussels that overlooks this forest. It's nice.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    What do people think of this Ineos conspiracy theory that they engineered their early start?

It's nonsense.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    13'-58" for Ineos at CP1. Thomas looks fine.

Conditions not supposed to vary much whatever time a team starts.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202

What's the supposed advantage of going early? Is it going to pïss down later?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Race Radio

@TheRaceRadio
    57s57 seconds ago
    More
    Note the stripes on the sleeves of @TeamINEOS riders. 6 of 8 have been National TT champions.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Ag2r on the ramp. Bardet about to lose a chunk of time?
  • mididoctors

What's the supposed advantage of going early? Is it going to pïss down later?

I don't get it either
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wout Poels pulls off after taking a long turn on the hill
  • blazing_saddles
    Astana looking to be about 30 seconds slower over the distance
  • awavey
    now forgive me for thinking, we'd have seen which riders had been dropped if we werent wasting 30-60secs watching the other teams staring into the distance at the start :roll:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ineos down to six, don't know who the other drop was
  • mididoctors
    Ineos jettisoning riders in the last 3k
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Ineos do 29:18

So 30 mins is not a winning time!