Etape du Tour 2019

Comments

• def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Gulp, mine is 1401, so after the first 500 who tend to be ex-pros, young pros or other top racers, it's the first wave.

Still my son has reminded me that I was in the top 1,200 finishers last time in 2016.

Actually, seeing as you're a veteran -- and a quite successful one at that -- I thought I might tap your well of experience w/r/t final month's training:

Where I'm at:
    --no worries with rolling rides up to 160 km. Have dialed in bike fit, still tweaking shoes/insoles (amazing that what's comfortable up to 100 km starts feeling like torture device after 120 kms...).
    --as I live in Paris, long climbs aren't an option. I have a 2 hour out and back hill workout that includes a 5 km climb broken into two sections but nothing, obviously, like a col. So I'm going to Gap this weekend to try to get as many vertical meters as possible.

Next steps?:
    --with four weeks of training left, and given that the run-up week I'm planning on nothing more strenuous than active rest (1 hour spin a few times around Longchamps), what's the best plan of attack?
    --I can get in one or two weekend rolling long rides -- weekdays are basically limited to 1.5 hours, maybe 2, but that means getting up at 6 a.m. But if that's what I have to do.
    --was thinking this: 2 weekend rides of about 80 km each, going hard on hills. 2 weekday rides on my little "hill workout." So it would be a total of about 240 km/week for the next 4 weeks. Maybe throw in one 140-150 km ride just to make sure nutrition etc is dialed in.

**also, a nutrition/hydration question: How much water/food is available? I'm sort of torn between 2 water bottles or using my hydration pack, which I've used for longer rides despite how dorky it is...if there's lots of water every 30 km, then bottles should be ok, right?

TIA...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Hydration - there are loads of water stops to top up bottles. Just keep topping them up when you can. It was 39 degrees on the lower part of the final climb in 2015, but no shortage of water available. Typically there'll be water at the bottom, half way and at top of the climbs. You really won't want a hydration pack on your back on the final 33 kms climb.

If hot don't expect to be able to chew anything, you'll be reliant on gels and energy drink to top up your energy levels. Plus small cups of coke at the feed stations.

Training: The climbs tend to be steady efforts. You find a comfortable rythym and just stick to it and ignore the pace others around you climb at. There's 60+ kms of climbing so you need to know what effort is comfortable for 90-120 minutes. Personally I don't think smashing up short steep hills is particularly helpful. The 5 km long hill sounds a good one to keep working at. You need to be comfortable riding for 6-7 hours or even longer possibly, so do a couple of long days in the next 2 weeks. And climb, climb and climb some more! If you can't find hills then steady efforts.

How much tapering in the last week will depend on what your normal mileage is. I do around 400 kms per week including one 130+km ride, and ride most days, so less need to take the final week easy than someone who only does 200 kms average for example.

Caveat though, what works for me may not work for you!
    Keep the weight down and keep hydrated in the coming weeks, eating a good diet.
  • Dorset_Boy
    One other thing, get a good sports massage in 10-20 days beforehand to loosen all the tightness cycling builds up.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Waves have 1,000 pax and previously went at about 7 minute intervals IIRC.
    Can't remember what time the first wave goes though, sorry. Possibly 6,00 am ish?
  • def_defyr
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Hydration - there are loads of water stops to top up bottles. Just keep topping them up when you can. It was 39 degrees on the lower part of the final climb in 2015, but no shortage of water available. Typically there'll be water at the bottom, half way and at top of the climbs. You really won't want a hydration pack on your back on the final 33 kms climb.

If hot don't expect to be able to chew anything, you'll be reliant on gels and energy drink to top up your energy levels. Plus small cups of coke at the feed stations.

Training: The climbs tend to be steady efforts. You find a comfortable rythym and just stick to it and ignore the pace others around you climb at. There's 60+ kms of climbing so you need to know what effort is comfortable for 90-120 minutes. Personally I don't think smashing up short steep hills is particularly helpful. The 5 km long hill sounds a good one to keep working at. You need to be comfortable riding for 6-7 hours or even longer possibly, so do a couple of long days in the next 2 weeks. And climb, climb and climb some more! If you can't find hills then steady efforts.

How much tapering in the last week will depend on what your normal mileage is. I do around 400 kms per week including one 130+km ride, and ride most days, so less need to take the final week easy than someone who only does 200 kms average for example.

Caveat though, what works for me may not work for you!
    Keep the weight down and keep hydrated in the coming weeks, eating a good diet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm usually OK in heat -- up to a point, of course -- and struggle when it's cold. I've got a 1 x1 34 gear so even if it all goes pear-shaped I should be able to finish in the upright position! But my goal is to enjoy the spectacle, even if getting back is going to be a PITA. We're staying in Beaufort -- lovely village -- but not convenient for an easy exit...
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Def Defyr wrote:
    #12794, wave 12 -- so, any idea what time I'll actually be starting?

If I finish 12,793 I'll be happy. Have never done it before so just estimated how long it was take based on not really being able to train for mountains. I'm mostly going for the experience of doing a sportive -- if I like it I'll probably get more into that scene.

I'm going to Gap this weekend for some mountain training, so if I can do a few 80-100 km loops with a few cols I'm hoping that will give me a base.

@DorsetBoy Being in the top 1400 on the Megeve Morzine etape is pretty damn good. I happened to be in Samoens that day on a hiking vacation and watching the start of the joux plane climb is what got me interested in signing up this year.

#12728 for me!
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Ed F
    Ed F Posts: 79
    #269 for me!
  • def_defyr
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Def Defyr wrote:

If I finish 12,793 I'll be happy.

#12728 for me!

See you in the holding pen!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    somehow ive made pen 10 even through my previous effort was a DNF last year.

Im hoping to just enjoy the day and finish.. last climbed is closed until 2000 IIRC so hoping as long as I make it to base of that I should have hours to finish the thing.
  • teebs_123
    Def Defyr wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Def Defyr wrote:

If I finish 12,793 I'll be happy.

#12728 for me!

See you in the holding pen!

Indeed. Black / Orange S Works. Any idea what our start time is?
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • I am in wave 5, being my first time I am not sure what this will mean in terms of the pace that people will be going around me. I didn't want to start too late in case it is a very hot day and starting later could be a disadvantage.

I am hoping to leave myself at least 3 hours to do the climb to Val Thorens.
  • def_defyr
    I am in wave 5, being my first time I am not sure what this will mean in terms of the pace that people will be going around me. I didn't want to start too late in case it is a very hot day and starting later could be a disadvantage.

I am hoping to leave myself at least 3 hours to do the climb to Val Thorens.

3 hours seems reasonable. I don't think I'll be able to climb at more than 10 km/h by that point. The middle col will be a real leg softener.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    The EdT site says you have to start the final climb (km 102) before 14:54 and finish before 18:42, not 20:00.

Allowing for a pause at the refreshment stop halfway up, you need to average about 10km/h on the climb, or get there well before, say starting the climb by 2pm at the latest. My tip is not to hang around in the refreshment zones, grab what you need and keep going.
  • def_defyr
    JS14 wrote:
    The EdT site says you have to start the final climb (km 102) before 14:54 and finish before 18:42, not 20:00.

Allowing for a pause at the refreshment stop halfway up, you need to average about 10km/h on the climb, or get there well before, say starting the climb by 2pm at the latest. My tip is not to hang around in the refreshment zones, grab what you need and keep going.

I had kind of hoped to snag an earlier start time by overestimating my fitness but I think a lot of people did that! ah, well, can only do my best...
  • I fully agree I will be aiming to start the last climb quickly and only expend extra time for what is really necessary.
    on a separate note I have started to look at the long term weather forecasts, which seem to indicate ideal conditions (not too hot and not too windy. I don't know how accurate they are but I do hope that is what it turns out to be.
  • def_defyr
    This is the start time, by wave.

https://www.letapedutour.com/en/the-rac ... -timetable

Being in Wave 12, I'm leaving at 8.
  • What happens afterwards

I may potentially have to wait awhile in Val Thorens before I can down to where I am staying at St Martin De Belleville. So I wanted to know from those that have done Etape before is there much to do whilst we are waiting to get down? Is there a party atmosphere, or is everyone too tired to speak? I imagine there will not be places to sit down and have a coffee etc.... with so many people up there. Should I take a good book to read?

I would love to hear from someone who has done this before.
  • ogs116
    ogs116 Posts: 6
    What happens afterwards

I may potentially have to wait awhile in Val Thorens before I can down to where I am staying at St Martin De Belleville. So I wanted to know from those that have done Etape before is there much to do whilst we are waiting to get down? Is there a party atmosphere, or is everyone too tired to speak? I imagine there will not be places to sit down and have a coffee etc.... with so many people up there. Should I take a good book to read?

There is a pasta party at the end and usually a large space where you can grab a beer and lie in the sun. VT has lots of bars and cafes.

I think the approach road will be sectioned in two - one side for riders still ascending to the finish, and the other for descenders so you should be able to descend to St Martin when you want to. They did a similar thing at Hautacam a few years back.
  • teebs_123
    How is everyone getting back to Albertville etc after the event? I've missed booking the official shuttle so currently looking at options..
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Dorset_Boy
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    How is everyone getting back to Albertville etc after the event? I've missed booking the official shuttle so currently looking at options..

You will have to ride back down to Moutiers. You might be able to catch a train back to Albertville from there.
  • teebs_123
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

You will have to ride back down to Moutiers. You might be able to catch a train back to Albertville from there.

Great, thanks. Looks like a steady ride back down the hill to the train station.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • def_defyr
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

Great, thanks. Looks like a steady ride back down the hill to the train station.

We are staying in Beaufort, so the plan is to have my wife meet me in Moutier, but driving the faster route back through Albertville rather than retracing the race. I thought long and hard about the shuttle but eventually dithered too long and it was sold out...
  • Thanks so much for the response.

I think I might stick around for the pasta party and soak up the atmosphere.
    ogs116 wrote:
    What happens afterwards

There is a pasta party at the end and usually a large space where you can grab a beer and lie in the sun. VT has lots of bars and cafes.

I think the approach road will be sectioned in two - one side for riders still ascending to the finish, and the other for descenders so you should be able to descend to St Martin when you want to. They did a similar thing at Hautacam a few years back.
  • I got the text to remind me to upload my medical certificate. Went to my GP this morning and they refused to issue it, saying that under guidance from the BMA they had been instructed not to issue these any more as nobody can certify that you are physically ready and that it could open them up to being liable.

Anyone else had this? What to do?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I got the text to remind me to upload my medical certificate. Went to my GP this morning and they refused to issue it, saying that under guidance from the BMA they had been instructed not to issue these any more as nobody can certify that you are physically ready and that it could open them up to being liable.

There are companies on the intranet that will do one for you.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • teebs_123
    elbowloh wrote:
    I got the text to remind me to upload my medical certificate. Went to my GP this morning and they refused to issue it, saying that under guidance from the BMA they had been instructed not to issue these any more as nobody can certify that you are physically ready and that it could open them up to being liable.

There are companies on the intranet that will do one for you.

I've used one as my GP wanted £120.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422

I didn't quite understand this prior to doing last years event, whilst I'm physically capable as I guess most people think they are... a GP won't understand the stress you put urself thru, and also won't take into consideration temperature, hydration and any other number of variables. So I'm not sure the bit of paper is really worth anything.

I enjoyed doing the even last year and will hopefully do another sometime...
    However one of my abiding memories was of helicopter paramedics going to work with chest compressions etc on afairly heavy gent in the road. I don't know If he survived but it was pretty grim.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I didn't quite understand this prior to doing last years event, whilst I'm physically capable as I guess most people think they are... a GP won't understand the stress you put urself thru, and also won't take into consideration temperature, hydration and any other number of variables. So I'm not sure the bit of paper is really worth anything.

I enjoyed doing the even last year and will hopefully do another sometime...
    However one of my abiding memories was of helicopter paramedics going to work with chest compressions etc on afairly heavy gent in the road. I don't know If he survived but it was pretty grim.
    Of course its not worth anything, but ASO won't let you take part without it, unless you have a race licence.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • teebs_123
    I've uploaded my certificate but it's still saying 'Pending' - anyone else in the same boat?
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Dorset_Boy
    My certificate has been approved but it sat as pending for weeks. They will have 15,000 to work through - what's your bib number?