Entry level air fork suspension suggestions

kovacsa
kovacsa Posts: 44
edited July 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi All, Can anyone suggest an entry level air fork to replace this one on my hybrid bike?

Suntour NRX D HLO. 63mm. Hydraulic Speed Lockout / Preload
https://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/produ ... -5895.html

I won't be doing anything extreme with it. I'd like to have a stiff adjustable suspension that will mostly be used for smoothing out the bumps on the road and gravel trails.

This is my current bike:
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015 (Must select Whistler 70 when on the site)

Thanks!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Rockshox Recon
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You need a fork with 60 - 70mm travel, a straight steerer and qr drop outs so that severely limits your choice.

What doesn't the current fork do that you would like it to do?
    If you are only riding on tarmac and gravel the fork isn't really doing much anyway.
    How long have you had the bike? If it's been a while then a service may improve the fork performance.

An alternative and probably cheaper solution is to investigate the possibility of fitting larger width tyres. The extra volume may be enough to take the sting out of bumpy road and gravel surfaces.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'd put a rigid fork on it, for what you are using it for there isn't any need for a suspension.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    robertpb wrote:
    I'd put a rigid fork on it, for what you are using it for there isn't any need for a suspension.

I'd agree with that. And to fit wider tyres and with reduced pressure to take the sting out of the trail.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Xcr air fork?
    80mm with QR/straight steer option.
    More travel than you want but you can always let some air out so it sits lower

https://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/products/fork/XCR32-5860.html
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Rockshox Recon

Could not agree more

I have that

HOW do you add images P L E A S E
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    +1 for rigid fork and fatter tire. A rigid fork will be significantly lighter than suspension fork and potentially much less expensive. Use money saved to upgrade front tire.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Midnight wrote:
    Use full editor (not quick post), click the Img button (banner across the top) and paste the URL for the image (so will end in .jpg or similar) between the image identifiers
    51yEYCpV-OL._SX425_.jpg
    If you click quote for this post you'll see how it looked before I posted it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Midnight wrote:
    Rockshox Recon

Could not agree more

For a hybrid bike used predominately on road? What's the point, even if one would fit?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If you're dead set on an air fork, Suntour do an air spring version of the fork that's already on there - https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SR-Suntour-NRX ... sku=310209

But at £200, not sure why you'd bother as the type of riding you are doing, and the type of bike that it is does not need a £200 fork putting on it. A suspension fork has two main purposes - first one is to try to keep the wheel in contact with the ground more to ensure that the rider can control the bike more. The second purpose (though much less signficant than the first) is to make riding over rough terrain more comfortable on the arms / rider.

Front sus on touring / hybrid bikes are put there because they help sell the bikes to naive punters who think suspension is "better" than no suspension. In reality, all it's done is make bike which should be light and simple to maintain, heavier and more expensive to maintain.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    The Rookie wrote:
    Midnight wrote:
    Use full editor (not quick post), click the Img button (banner across the top) and paste the URL for the image (so will end in .jpg or similar) between the image identifiers
    51yEYCpV-OL._SX425_.jpg
    If you click quote for this post you'll see how it looked before I posted it.

many Thanks