Swains lane hit and run

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
Piss poor by the police. Tell the victim that they probably won't be able to go after CCTV for several days, then when he gets it for them they write a letter to the owner asking who was driving..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48146525

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... n-into-air
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Cynic that I am.... the owner of the car will probably be unable to remember who was driving and take the FTF charge, rather than the potentially more serious charges resulting from the collision.

Unless of course better CCTV can be found that identifies the driver.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Oops, realised I missed this in the SCR thread. My excuse is that was a totally inappropriate thread...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah sorry i posted it in SCR. That seems to be a coverall thread nowadays
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Latest I read is that the police have actually got off their asses and done something and written to the registered owner of the vehicle.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtb-idle
    redvee wrote:
    Latest I read is that the police have actually got off their asses and done something and written to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Wow, that'll learn em.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    If you want a thoroughly depressing read that will show it's absolute anarchy out on the roads and no one GAF about it you could do worse than start here

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/9 ... 62145?s=19
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    no mention of a driving ban?
    FCN = 4
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I've no personal experience of being detained at Her Majesty's pleasure, so this is a bit of a guess, but I'd be surprised if inmates are allowed to drive...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    MTB-Idle wrote:

They damn well ought to be for life IMO, the video footage made the incident look like a blatant "seek and destroy" mission, rather than a SMIDSY incident.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    But when he's out in less than a year is he allowed to jump back behind the wheel?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,458
    He got a 34 month ban, reading this I'd say there's more thana fair chance that he was drink driving

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime-co ... -1-6138629
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    20 months sentence, and the police didn't consider it a priority to gather evidence.
  • mtb-idle
    TGOTB wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I've no personal experience of being detained at Her Majesty's pleasure, so this is a bit of a guess, but I'd be surprised if inmates are allowed to drive...
    keef66 wrote:
    But when he's out in less than a year is he allowed to jump back behind the wheel?

yeah this was kinda my point, I'm glad someone grasped it. 20 month sentence, out in say 9 months for good behaviour; straight back behind the wheel with a chip on his shoulder relating to cyclists.

Fortunately it appears he does have a specific driving ban too but as we know this rarely stops drivers with convictions.
    FCN = 4
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know you shouldn't go by appearances, but his mug shot doesn't suggest an individual who's genuinely remorseful and likely to be driving Miss Daisy when he gets the keys back...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Jeez, first i'd heard of this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... st-in-bury
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    elbowloh wrote:

Bl00dy hell, what a complete imbecile - I mean I know he's an estate agent and all, but even so.

That's disgusting, shocking, incomprehensible behaviour, and then to go on and lie about it.
    I wonder what he will end up with, suspended sentence, some paltry fine, and that's it?

That is the kind of person who should have their driving licence taken away permanently, and never be allowed to own a motorised vehicle again - once they get out of jail.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Daniel B wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Bl00dy hell, what a complete imbecile - I mean I know he's an estate agent and all, but even so.

That's disgusting, shocking, incomprehensible behaviour, and then to go on and lie about it.
    I wonder what he will end up with, suspended sentence, some paltry fine, and that's it?

That is the kind of person who should have their driving licence taken away permanently, and never be allowed to own a motorised vehicle again - once they get out of jail.

Agreed. I don't know why but this bit stood out for me in amongst the other unjustified rage - "smashing his own wing mirror in a temper tantrum and driving off."

If you can get that mad while in control of a vehicle, you've proved yourself incapable.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    elbowloh wrote:

There's some more detail in this one too:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-16528814
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Two things in tabloid reporting I despise with a passion.

What does it matter that the 69 year old alleged man is 'elderly' or that the victims bike was worth or cost £2500?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Daniel B wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

He's lucky the witnesses wanted to come forward. I had something similar albeit my bike wasn't written off and the guy who helped me said specifically he wouldn't give me his details as he didn't want the hassle.

Police found the guy, he denied it, they put an add out for witnesses and that was that.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Because the old man in vulnerable and it's not his fault, and the cyclist deserves no sympathy because he is rich.