What to bring

DomDT
DomDT Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in MTB beginners
What should I bring when going mountain biking and how should I carry these items?

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    A pump on the frame with maybe a water bottle. A bag under the seat with tyre levers and a spare tube and a multi tool. You don't need anything else.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It depends what type of mountain biking, in what terrain, what weather and how far you are going. For a short ride (40 km or so) over mixed terrain (mostly bridlepaths and byways around the Ridgeway) I take:

- saddlebag with a tube, levers, CO2 and multitool (this is always on the bike and I am set up tubeless)
    - hydration pack (I would say "Camelbak" but it's a Kriega one) with pump and another tube
    - in my jersey pockets are my phone (in a ziplock bag), garage door opener and some money
    - on the stem/bars is a Wahoo Element Bolt and, when needed, a decent light (Hope R4+)

For a longer ride (up to 100 km so far) over the same terrain I'd add some food (NutriGrain bars usually) and a sports-type drink in a bottle on the bike, plus a small pack of spares (mech hanger, chain link, tyre repair kit) and maybe a waterproof layer if the weather is threatening.

In truth, since going tubeless (a couple of years ago) I have never needed to stop for a tyre-related incident. I have also never used the mech hanger or chain links. I have used the multitool very occasionally for adjustments. All I have really used is the water/drink and food plus the computer, lights, phone and money. The rest is insurance.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • I have a small Camelbak hydration pack - in that I carry water (obviously), tyre levers, 2 inner tubes, multitool, pump, packable waterproof jacket and a couple of packs of haribo (just in case).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    edited July 2019
    DomDT wrote:
    What should I bring when going mountain biking and how should I carry these items?

Can depend where you are riding, for how long/distance and whether you are riding solo. Also, what country.

There have been some other similar threads recently. Try searching for those.

Personally, I use a CamelBak with water bladder and:

Spare tube
    Levers
    Pump
    First aid kit (inc foil blanket)
    Packable shower jacket
    Small power bank
    Multi-tool (inc chain splitter)
    Cable ties
    Chain link spares
    25mm Gorilla tape
    Gel pack (also can be used when empty to repair a split tyre)
    Snacks

Probably a few other things that I can't remember.

EDIT (Thanks to Steve Sordy) - I do also have spare brake pads

Steve - I'll happily tie you to a tree with my Gorilla tape and see how you get on. It works well on my tubeless set-up.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    In addition to what Billy Cool carries, I also have a spare mech hanger, a pair of Gerber Multipliers (they complement the multi-tool perfectly), a set of brake pads, about five links of spare chain, a magic link, digital tyre pressure gauge, tyre patches (in case my spare inner subsequently gets a puncture), about half a dozen folded kitchen towels (various uses, from hand/nose/arse wiping to wound dressings), painkillers, £10 note folded into an envelope, and finally a small cable lock with a 1-metre wire. I also have about three feet of Gaffer tape wrapped around my mini-pump. You can fix the universe with Gaffer tape. When I'm riding off-piste in my local area I take a folding saw. It is good enough to saw through 4" dia branches, or to act as a slasher for brambles and nettles.

From Billy Cool's list I don't carry: the first aid kit (very sensible though), power bank, Gorilla tape (I use Gaffer tape instead as it is wider and I suspect stronger).

All that lot goes inside my Camelbak MULE backpack, along with a 3-litre bladder (contents vary by season and planned ride). It has room to also take clothing items dependent upon the weather; waterproof, spare gloves, sunscreen, insect repellent etc.

It sounds a lot, I know. But I have used every single item on the list except the mech-hanger. Not all on the same trip, obviously; that would have been one hell of a trip! I would not carry them if I did not value their utility.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Cheese & pickle sandwiches.