Incorrect Crank Arm

Emphursis
Emphursis Posts: 124
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I bought a PlanetX RT57 with the cycle scheme in 2015. This was meant to come with an SRAM Force 22 groupset. Anyway, after 4 years and about 400 miles total, I have dropped it off for a service and found that the left crank arm does not match the right - it is longer and also from a mountain bike crankset.

I'm having real trouble finding anywhere that sells single crank arms - does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ebay is probably the best place to look - even if you have to buy a complete new/old chainset. Although the old adage applies - "if you haven't noticed a difference, then there probably isn't any"
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    ...or check the MTB forums for a "I bought this bike in 2015 from PX and it has a left side Force22 crank" thread :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You could try to embarrass Planet X into sorting one out for you? Hit social media!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    100 miles per year ? You monster ! I'd not have thought it would need a service after such little mileage unless you've mistreated it ?

Are you sure you havent swapped arms in the past - i know i do things like that and then forget what I've done...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My skip-rescued singlespeed has a square taper Veloce chainset and a different length left crank which looks like something off a pre-war Russian tractor. I can't tell when I'm riding it though
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Had a similar thing after buying first bike, a Boardman Road Team, from Halfords. About 9 months after buying it (and riding it almost every other day) I noticed it had the wrong forks after idly looking through an old Boardman catalogue. Then found the crank lengths were also different lengths; one 175mm, other side was 172.5mm....

Bike had clearly been cannibilised by the workshop, and put on the shop floor. Was all corrected by local Halfords with a hefty voucher (they also found the higher spec correct forks at the back of the workshop!) 9 months later, but i never coukd tell when riding it...was my first "proper" bike though so had nothing to compare it to :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...