A question

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,943
edited August 2019 in The cake stop
Just some questions arising from a thought I had the other day whilst sitting at the lights in my car.

There was a cyclist coming up on the inside of me and as the windows were down I told him he could hold onto the car if he wanted, (meaning that he didn't have to unclip). It was noisy and there was only a second or two to tell him, but either didn't catch what I said, or didn't understand, and unclipped anyway. Ah well.

Would any of you that own cars mind a cyclist holding onto your car at lights etc. ?

and, if you were okay with that, how would you let them know?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd never hold onto a car at the lights. So many people are very protective of their cars that it's not going to end well.

I'm happy to put a foot down if I need to.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What would be the point? Unclipping is an almost subconscious action and quite easy! I'd feel safer avoiding an unnecessary physical interaction with a motor vehicle and it wouldn't look good to other road users. And I'm not surprised he didn't understand; it's not a suggestion that anyone would begin to expect. Basically, terrible idea! IMO!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nah - I wouldn't trust an unknown driver of an unknown vehicle - I'd quite happily hold onto the car driven by a family member (not all of them) or select friends - but whilst out and about - I'd rather just unclip and know that I'm holding myself up...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was considering grabbing passing vehicles as I was struggling up Blue Bank south of Whitby last week, but I've never wanted to do it at traffic lights. In fact I'd earlier passed up the opportunity to hang on to some railings while clipped in at the lights.

If you really want to offer it as a service you need to fit some kind of handrail, and some written instructions advertising the fact.

Motorists shouting at cyclists out of open windows are normally just being abusive, so your good intentions are likely to be misconstrued
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I can just see the scenario, he leans against the window you've opened falls against car bangs head, he's got it on head cam you told him he could, he gets onto wesueanyonewecan.com, your life is ruined... nah forget it
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    At a standstill in a vulnerable location I'd rather have two hands and one foot on the bike, than two feet and one hand. I have and do sometimes lean on a convenient roadside installation to avoid unclipping, but the thing about these is they tend not to move (deliberately or accidentally).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Just some questions arising from a thought I had the other day whilst sitting at the lights in my car.

There was a cyclist coming up on the inside of me and as the windows were down I told him he could hold onto the car if he wanted, (meaning that he didn't have to unclip). It was noisy and there was only a second or two to tell him, but either didn't catch what I said, or didn't understand, and unclipped anyway. Ah well.

Would any of you that own cars mind a cyclist holding onto your car at lights etc. ?

and, if you were okay with that, how would you let them know?
    no way i'd hang onto a stranger's car

in order of likelihood i'd think the driver was trying to...
    ...be sarcastic
    ...tempt me into holding on so he could move off fast and maybe cause me to fall or get dragged
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    If you aren't used to leaning on something with both feet clipped in, against a stranger's car probably isn't the ideal place to have a first try.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Perhaps we need a 'cyclist friendly' ID system for vehicles. As above, default interpretation by me on bike is words from a car will be abusive. But in vehicle several times I've thought 'wish I could ask him/her about'... something, such as what brand of nice bright rear LED flasher is that, I fancy one? No way of so doing.

Thinking though. If there was an ID system, no doubt a-holes would just abuse it.

Oh well. So be it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    I guess that the summary is, no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'd rather hold onto something than unclip, for instance at traffics lights but I don't think I'd hold onto a car. I tend to use the large traffic cones at temporary lights if available. If at temporary lights for roadworks etc I find it quicker to hold on then when lights go green to be able to instantly sprint off especially if at front of queue of cars.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I sort of wouldn't mind but in my head would be the, "What if I/they spannered it and scratched the car" question.

I wouldn't risk it with randoms though, as discussed people are extremely silly about their cars (people are extremely silly about their push bikes), and it is a little too familiar to lean on people...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    orraloon wrote:
    Perhaps we need a 'cyclist friendly' ID system for vehicles. As above, default interpretation by me on bike is words from a car will be abusive. But in vehicle several times I've thought 'wish I could ask him/her about'... something, such as what brand of nice bright rear LED flasher is that, I fancy one? No way of so doing.

Thinking though. If there was an ID system, no doubt a-holes would just abuse it.

Oh well. So be it.

Which was where my thoughts were leading.

For instance, I carry spares. Not a lot but there's usually a couple of inner tubes, a pump, and tools in my car next to the spare (car) wheel in the well of the boot. Unless the car's fully loaded, I can easily carry a bike, and have a big poly bag it can fit in.

I know it would be fairly obvious that they would need help if someone had broken down (fixing a puncture), but maybe not so obvious if they are 'limping' home. It would be nice if they thought they could ask.

The older I get, the better I was.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You must have been a boy scout.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    Learn to trackstand, no need to unclip.

Just know that some people will think you're an arse for track standing, but that's just because they can't do it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no, never. its a bit like wandering up to a random house and sitting in their garden furniture. bizarre.

#silly
    #justinvitingapunchonthenose
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    didnt it come up with one of those close pass viral videos recently when a cyclist held onto the side of the car, whilst it was admittedly not a friendly exchange, didnt the police reviewing it claim it was illegal for a cyclist to hold onto a car like that (whilst turning a blind eye to every pro/pro-am race where it happens)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure that pro cycling races are held under the rules of the road ? Double white lines ? Red lights etcetera
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cougie wrote:
    Not sure that pro cycling races are held under the rules of the road ? Double white lines ? Red lights etcetera

well exactly they turn a proverbial blind eye to that stuff, whether races are held under rules of the road or not Ive no idea, but it doesnt mean you can grab a handful of car whilst riding a bike was the point
  • Bridgey79
    Bridgey79 Posts: 4
    A friend of mine has a guy he rides with who I really don't like. Horrible character. Anyway one day I'm with my friend and his mate turns up. We go for a ride and he leans on a car at the lights. It was embarrassing but the car driver didnt do anything possibly as there were a few of us. I can imagine on an another day it could have got pretty heated. At the end of the day that car is someone's property. The problem is you p*ss off that driver then he close passes the next rider he sees or whatever and joins the anti cyclist brigade.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    JakeJ wrote:
    Learn to trackstand, no need to unclip.

Just know that some people will think you're an ars* for track standing, but that's just because they can't do it.

Or alternatively they think it's just a stupid thing to do in traffic with your feet clipped in. It always raises a smile when someone does it for a while then loses balance and has to unclip just before the lights change.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have my car stickered with pro cycling stickers from the TLI.
    Touch my fu ck8n car tho just because you are a dikk for not being able to trackstand.
    Sums up the general rule of thumb.