Donald Trump

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The 4th July celebrations will involve the "brand new" Sherman tank and the "brand new" Abrams tank. Idiot.

He does seem to be suffering some kind of degenerative brain disease. The Sherman tank was taken out of US service in 1957.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    Rolf F wrote:
    The 4th July celebrations will involve the "brand new" Sherman tank and the "brand new" Abrams tank. Idiot.

He does seem to be suffering some kind of degenerative brain disease. The Sherman tank was taken out of US service in 1957.
    his followers don't care, probably already claiming it's fake news
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Rolf F wrote:

US Service, but Murica wouldn't understand it being used by other nations. (Paraguay retired their last ones in 2018)

Amusingly no one in the US defence department seems to know where these are, the tooling has long been binned. There's no "stock" of them lurking in some warehouse all the active/static vehicles left are in museums all over the world.
    The Brand new Abrams are coming from the Southern edge of Washington, only two I think and a pair of Bradley's. The Abrams in question are the run of the mill M1A1's not the current M1A2C variants in active service so certainly not brand new, probably just given a wash and a lick of paint.

He also claims they are getting the Blue Angels on to do a fly over in the best aircraft in the world, a 34 year old multi role fighter jet...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Isn't he getting Ivanker and Jared to pilot the jets? they're doing everything else trained professionals are supposed to be doing for the US?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • step83
    Isn't he getting Ivanker and Jared to pilot the jets? they're doing everything else trained professionals are supposed to be doing for the US?

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, I doubt either have enough air time training etc for fast jets so look out for a Cessna Skyhawk awkwardly trying to do a loop the loop, then trump claiming they are the bestest of pilots in the USAF despite holding no rank.

Not quite sure what he is planning with the tanks 70 ton Abrams and the Bradleys being close to 30 tonnes with the current equipment, even with their transport tracks/blocks they will destroy the roads which is why the Veterans day parade binned them off. No one fancied the estimated $92 million resurfacing costs. Maybe we can get them doing manoeuvres on the grounds of the whitehouse?

Odds are they will be static displays, I'm guessing he mixed up Bradley's and Sherman's but no ones correcting him their all too busy trying to find some!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Step83 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The Brand new Abrams are coming from the Southern edge of Washington, only two I think and a pair of Bradley's. The Abrams in question are the run of the mill M1A1's not the current M1A2C variants in active service so certainly not brand new, probably just given a wash and a lick of paint.

Thre are no "brand-new" Abrams tanks anyway, all refurb's of old ones. They basically strip them down to the last nut and bolt and box up all the bits. Sand blast the hull, then ship the lot to another factory on the back of train. Then they bead blast it (on account of it going rust while in transit!) and bolt it all back together with new weapons systems. They don't get new engines but they do weld up the leading edges on the turbine blades due to errosion (there are no spares left) which is interesting.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Old bone spurs is risk averse when it comes to putting his life on the line. Maybe he feels the same about his family but then again he might not. Hard to say which way he blows in the wind.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Trump would sell his own grandmother.. He has no friends either unless you count Putin or some other dictator.

He seemed to have a friend once, Roy Cohn, but dropped that pretense when the man was dying. He had stopped being useful.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I am celebrating 4 July today - I'm really glad that we are independent of them. :D
  • step83
    Thre are no "brand-new" Abrams tanks anyway, all refurb's of old ones. They basically strip them down to the last nut and bolt and box up all the bits. Sand blast the hull, then ship the lot to another factory on the back of train. Then they bead blast it (on account of it going rust while in transit!) and bolt it all back together with new weapons systems. They don't get new engines but they do weld up the leading edges on the turbine blades due to errosion (there are no spares left) which is interesting.

Yeah they have been "recycling" the hulls for a while, didn't realise they were fudging the turbines to work though.
    Isn't the rust in transit basically because it gets left in a storage yard because they are being stripped quicker than they can be put back together, again partly due to delays in things like the ERA.

Amusing though that a turbine blade in most circumstances is considered a consumable its a bit daft they have ran out.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Step83 wrote:

Yeah they have been "recycling" the hulls for a while, didn't realise they were fudging the turbines to work though.
    Isn't the rust in transit basically because it gets left in a storage yard because they are being stripped quicker than they can be put back together, again partly due to delays in things like the ERA.

Amusing though that a turbine blade in most circumstances is considered a consumable its a bit daft they have ran out.
    the rusting hulls is because they blast them before sending to another factory thousands of miles away. Thy must have split the work between replican marginal states, ahem.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lagrange wrote:
    I am celebrating 4 July today - I'm really glad that we are independent of them. :D

I'm also celebrating 4th July. With a hint of irony it's our wedding anniversary :D 32 years and counting.
  • 4th of July celebrations.
    Republicans only.
    I've heard the Republican National Committee is distributing tickets to the anointed.
    Because its' so nice to have your national holidays hijacked so you can pay for conservative propaganda at your own expense. On this Independence Day, I would like to make the point that not all, or even a majority, of Americans , agree with what this individual says to and about you, your nation, or the rest of the world in general. Or us, for that matter. My apologies for any misunderstandings this employee may have caused.
  • bianchimoon
    4th of July celebrations.
    Republicans only.
    I've heard the Republican National Committee is distributing tickets to the anointed.
    Because its' so nice to have your national holidays hijacked so you can pay for conservative propaganda at your own expense. On this Independence Day, I would like to make the point that not all, or even a majority, of Americans , agree with what this individual says to and about you, your nation, or the rest of the world in general. Or us, for that matter. My apologies for any misunderstandings this employee may have caused.
    He's an abberation, lets hope the Dems choose the right candidate to stand against him, not sure Bidens got what it takes, Harris or Warren? Buttigeig probably too soon for him and America.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Republicans only.
    He's an abberation, lets hope the Dems choose the right candidate to stand against him, not sure Bidens got what it takes, Harris or Warren? Buttigeig probably too soon for him and America.

I really can't work out how messed up a country is that it might even matter who he is up against (assuming that the Democrats aren't going to nominate OJ Simpson).
  • 4th of July celebrations.
    Republicans only.
    Harris and Warren have both been the ones acting like the adult in the room. I don't know about their stances on health care, but that's really a non-issue, as any president has to have the approval of congress to get any such program passed, as well as the courts.
  • step83
    Republicans only.

Its basically a military themed political rally to play to his ego and further reiterate his rhetoric.
    I'd imagine he will seize on the upholding by the 9th circuit court to freeze the funding of his wall as he will again be using it as part of his campaign.
    Though quite how hes going to blag and magic up the estimated $23bn is another matter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    So, apparently the continental Army took over the airports during the revolutionary war.
    The scary part is that this nonsense no longer surprises.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    PBlakeney wrote:
    So, apparently the continental Army took over the airports during the revolutionary war.
    The battle he was talking about was in the 1800's not 1776. Even reading a teleprompter he still manages to speak fluent cr@p.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    The battle he was talking about was in the 1800's not 1776. Even reading a teleprompter he still manages to speak fluent cr@p.
    I quit trying to figure out what he was saying a long time ago. Just puts one in a bad head space.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Nope. "In 1775....."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48880867
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bianchimoon
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Nope. "In 1775....."
    Elsewhere, astute viewers of the speech, like Aazami Shervin, pointed out that Mr Trump's mention of Fort McHenry references the war of 1812 and not the revolutionary war.
    It was this reference I meant
  • Lagrange
    Why do they not take today off as well and make a long weekend of it?
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Nope. "In 1775....."
    Elsewhere, astute viewers of the speech, like Aazami Shervin, pointed out that Mr Trump's mention of Fort McHenry references the war of 1812 and not the revolutionary war.
    It was this reference I meant
    Which would accurate.
    But we are discussing Trump, so accuracies are apparently irrelevant.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Lagrange
    I see that our Ambassador to the US is clearly a forum user but FFS why did he not keep his thoughts to himself or why TF did someone leak them. It just diminishes the UK in the eyes of someone who, in pique could fark us hard.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lagrange wrote:
    I see that our Ambassador to the US is clearly a forum user but FFS why did he not keep his thoughts to himself or why TF did someone leak them. It just diminishes the UK in the eyes of someone who, in pique could fark us hard.

Part of an ambassador's role is to provide HM Gov with confidential feedback like this. The problem is not what the ambassador said - the problem is with whoever decided to leak it. This sort of stuff would have had some kind of security classification attached to it, so whoever leaked it may well be in breach of the OSA.
  • bianchimoon
    The worrying thing is.. we already knew this classified information :lol:
  • sungod
    trump administration is 'inept and insecure', says uk ambassador
    as is the uk government, even without johnson as pm

how much worse can it get :D
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Imposter wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Part of an ambassador's role is to provide HM Gov with confidential feedback like this. The problem is not what the ambassador said - the problem is with whoever decided to leak it. This sort of stuff would have had some kind of security classification attached to it, so whoever leaked it may well be in breach of the OSA.

The second I read this message I get a BBC notification as an investigation into the leak
  • sungod
    well, fair's fair, obama's assessment of cameron was leaked, if only the uk had taken heed of it

but i see farage is eager as ever to stab the uk in the back in his fervour to lick trump's feet, pathetic