Liverpool-Chester 2019

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,121
Has anyone done the Liverpool-Chester ride recently?

I'm thinking of giving it a go, but would need to drive to Liverpool on the Sunday morning to get there and was wondering what parking was like in the area? There's a car park right next to the start which we use when we drive there but I reckon that will be a bit busy on the day.

Are the marshalls bothered if you go off route as long as you hit the cutoff times for going through the tunnel in each direction? :roll:

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Loads of parking around in Liverpool. Plenty by the docks too.

I think we've done the proper one once but the route is often some of our normal roads anyway.

Marshalls are fine and we often ignore them as we aren't doing the ride. Nobody's going to chase after you.

What distance are you doing ? The long one is more entertaining but the basic LCL isn't that inspiring but maybe that's because I'm used to the roads.
  • I was thinking of doing it.
    Was going to travel in and out by train. Look up Merseyrail. This is a local rail service. 15 minute service and bike friendly. Nearly every station has a car park. Ticket will be comparable to car parking.

Can't make my mind up on route. Short one is a bit insipid. Long one seems just a bit too contrived. But I really do fancy riding through the tunnel!!!
  • thistle_
    cougie wrote:
    What distance are you doing ? The long one is more entertaining but the basic LCL isn't that inspiring but maybe that's because I'm used to the roads.
    Possibly just going to do the family route with the boss, but might extend it up to new Brighton and back - 5 miles is a bit short but 25 is a bit far (and the 25 is only one way).
    If we got the train we'd have to drive to at least Chester (no early morning trains here), unload and get out at one of the underground stations with bikes so it is probably just as quick and cheap to drive the whole way unfortunately.
  • thistle_
    We ended up driving to Birkenhead North (just off the motorway, massive free car park) and got the train to Lime Street. Probably 8 bikes on the train all going to the ride, but it was pretty quiet so no issues.
    Surprisingly easy getting out of the underground with bikes on the escalators, I think it was easier than using the lifts.
    We bought a day ticket that let us go there on the train but back on the ferry rather than the train which was a lot easier especially as the trains were busier by then. Worked out cheaper than a single ticket on the ferry...

The ride was great, not many people doing the family one but good to see so many kids taking part and enjoying it. Only negative thing was that we had to hang around for about 30 minutes at the toll plaza before we could head back!
  • Not sure what it was, but there was a 100 mile event that seemed to take in part of your route, but headed north up to Southport and back. On early this morning. Seemed a bit contrived, but those after Strava segments probably thought it was OK. Lots of intense looking guys staring at their power meters but not looking at the road ahead!!!
  • thistle_
    Not sure what it was, but there was a 100 mile event that seemed to take in part of your route, but headed north up to Southport and back. On early this morning. Seemed a bit contrived, but those after Strava segments probably thought it was OK. Lots of intense looking guys staring at their power meters but not looking at the road ahead!!!
    Sounds like a time trial but can't see anything that long taking place on Sunday in that neck of the woods.
    Wonder how they crossed the river as the birkenhead tunnel would have been closed in the wrong direction (unless they were very early)