New MTB, what upgrades should I make?

JoelPedals
JoelPedals Posts: 6
edited July 2019 in MTB buying advice
Just swapped my fullsus for this brand new hardtail, as I only need a bike to comute on.
I'm thinking of upgrading the forks first (unsure what ones fit) but what other upgrades should I make to make the bike feel better and stronger?

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fluid ... UQEALw_wcB

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If you only need the bike to commute on, why did you buy that bike?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you think you need to 'upgrade' anything?
    What does the bike not do that you want it to do?

If it's only for commuting* then you have bought the wrong bike. A road bike or hybrid would be better.

If it was my bike the only things I would consider changing are the tyres and chain ring.
    2.8" tyres for commuting are pointless and will just drag. Put narrower, slick tyres on and it will be easier and faster.
    With a 30T chain ring you'll spin out at about 25mph. Put a 36T ring on (if it will fit) and you'll gain a few mph.

Selling the dropper post that you'll never use on a commute will get you some cash to put towards the changes.

*I am assuming your commute is road-based.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • larkim wrote:
    If you only need the bike to commute on, why did you buy that bike?

It was a straight swap
    Not a fan of roadies.
  • JBA wrote:
    Why do you think you need to 'upgrade' anything?
    What does the bike not do that you want it to do?

If it's only for commuting* then you have bought the wrong bike. A road bike or hybrid would be better.

If it was my bike the only things I would consider changing are the tyres and chain ring.
    2.8" tyres for commuting are pointless and will just drag. Put narrower, slick tyres on and it will be easier and faster.
    With a 30T chain ring you'll spin out at about 25mph. Put a 36T ring on (if it will fit) and you'll gain a few mph.

Selling the dropper post that you'll never use on a commute will get you some cash to put towards the changes.

*I am assuming your commute is road-based.

Thanks for being helpful :)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    OK, I get that you've bought this for "compromised" reasons, and each to their own. But for road commuting use, other than swapping for lighter rigid forks, why would you even think about "upgrading" them.

What you want for a commuting bike (in no particular order) would be:-
    - enough top end speed
    - fast rolling tyres
    - lightweight overall package
    - comfortable riding position

Assuming comfort is sorted and that you're not already spinning out the highest gear n the commute, then tyres are the most obvious port of call. Lightening the whole bike up could be expensive vs buying a cheap light hybrid hack just for the commute.

Thought about clipless pedals / shoes potentially? Lights, storage, bike computer / maps? Trying to be helpful, but unless your commute is off road, buying a MTB for commuting and then seeing if the most off-road feature of the bike (i.e. the fork) needs upgrading sounds like a bit of a naive question to be asking!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    OK, I get that you've bought this for "compromised" reasons, and each to their own. But for road commuting use, other than swapping for lighter rigid forks, why would you even think about "upgrading" them.

- enough top end speed
    - fast rolling tyres

Assuming comfort is sorted and that you're not already spinning out the highest gear n the commute, then tyres are the most obvious port of call. Lightening the whole bike up could be expensive vs buying a cheap light hybrid hack just for the commute.

Thought about clipless pedals / shoes potentially? Lights, storage, bike computer / maps? Trying to be helpful, but unless your commute is off road, buying a MTB for commuting and then seeing if the most off-road feature of the bike (i.e. the fork) needs upgrading sounds like a bit of a naive question to be asking!

Youre correct. will change the tyres and not spend a penny more until parts break :) thanks
  • larkim wrote:

- enough top end speed
    - fast rolling tyres

Youre correct. will change the tyres and not spend a penny more until parts break :) thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reduce drag (narrower faster rolling tyres)
    Reduce weight (dropper, tyres, cassette)
    Gearing (get a bigger chainring on it, something like a 38-40T).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    It's hard to say that it's not really the right bike for what you want it to do.

Having said that:

Thinner/lighter/faster tyres
    Tubeless
    Bigger chain ring
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you should have kept the full suspension bike and just got a little hybrid bike to ride on roads.
  • layers
    layers Posts: 20
    Give the guy a break, he can buy whatever he likes! Fwiw I agree tyres and after that wheels are usually the best upgrade in terms of feeling a big difference to how the bike performs