Wheel bearings worn ? how to tell.

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Fitted some Vision Trimax wheels towards then end of last year, done about 2k km on them and only once have they been ridden in the wet (used the original Mavic wheels during Winter). Noticed that when i get up to above say 35kmh that the rear wheel feels like there's a slightly dodgy tyre on it, ie feeling you'd expect to get if there was a slight egg in a tyre. Of coarse i checked the tyre, even took it off and refitted it just to be sure, no issues on the tyre. It came to me that perhaps it could be the wheel bearings ? anyone have any thoughts on this or how to know if it is, i assume i would need to strip the hub and take a look ?

Could the bearings have worn already, are Vision hubs known for such early wear ?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bearing wear usually manifests itself as either rumbling of the bearings and/or play in the wheel. If neither of those is evident, then the bearings are probably ok.
  • Ok so it doesn’t seem to be the bearings then, no side play and the hub is quiet
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Drop the wheel out of the frame, remove the QR/Thru axle, and turn the axle with your fingers. You'll be easily able to tell if the bearings feel rough.
  • Nick Payne wrote:
    Drop the wheel out of the frame, remove the QR/Thru axle, and turn the axle with your fingers. You'll be easily able to tell if the bearings feel rough.

Thanks Nick, will try it this afternoon.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tun the axle by hand if it feel smooth then they are fine anything not smooth is worn. Spinning freely does not mean no wear. Worn beairng can spin freely with no load on them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Decided as i had the wheels off to have a better look at the rear hub. Stripped it down and the bearings seemed fine, i did however notice that the hub was slightly loose and i cam assume that this was perhaps the issue, all clean and "hand tight" again.

Thanks