2019 Nationals

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,218
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Haven't seen a thread for this yet so thought I'd start one as the results have started coming in.

Netherlands - Jos van Emden took the men's TT from Langeveld and van Baarle, van Vleuten unsurprisingly took the women's TT by a huge 1:35 from van Dijk and van der Breggen.

I did wonder if Geraint might take part in the UK champs to get some race mileage in but he isn't on the start list (Luke Rowe is also down as having withdrawn from the road race, I had him down as a likely winner).

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    Might (work and family permitting) get a chance to go to the Irish Championships in Derry

Dunne, Dunbar, Bennett and Mullan the 'big' names in road race.

There is a Roche on the start line - little brother Alexis.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Might (work and family permitting) get a chance to go to the Irish Championships in Derry

Since it's in Derry, am I right in thinking it is all Ireland?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    IT'S GOING TO BE SO HOT.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Yup. Cycling in Ireland is organised on an all island basis, a lot of sports are.
    Within the Ireland set up there are bodies representing the 4 traditional provinces (Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht)

This year it's Cycling Ulster's turn to hold the Nationals and it's being hosted by Foyle CC and taking place in Derry & Donegal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Alice Barnes takes the ladies TT, but Hannah in third.
  • Mad_Malx
    If anyone is interested there is a live ticker for the British men's TT just now.
    http://bcttlive.theresultslive.co.uk/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    edited June 2019
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Yup. Cycling in Ireland is organised on an all island basis, a lot of sports are.
    Within the Ireland set up there are bodies representing the 4 traditional provinces (Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht)

This year it's Cycling Ulster's turn to hold the Nationals and it's being hosted by Foyle CC and taking place in Derry & Donegal

Some nice racing roads around there, my first ever holiday where I took a bike was in Ballyhoorisky and I barely saw a motor vehicle riding around Fanad Head. Would love to go back as it still looks pretty unspoiled.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    French Nationals Mens TT Elite
    A lot of suffering in the heat.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Dowsett takes the British TT title.

1. Dowsett
    2. Archibald
    3. Cummings

There are live streams available offically, though the TT looked like a finishline webcam and a couple of interviews. Hope for better for the RR.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/natio ... -follow--0
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ben Thomas FDJ -GR France ITT
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Asgreen takes the Danish TT. Quite a season the lad is having.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Wout van Aert Belgian time trial champion. (Jumbo Visma)
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Campenaerts not even on the podium in Belgium - 4th
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Dowsett takes the British TT title.

1. Dowsett
    2. Archibald
    3. Cummings

There are live streams available offically, though the TT looked like a finishline webcam and a couple of interviews. Hope for better for the RR.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/natio ... -follow--0

its Norfolk, unless theyve roped in some as yet unknown broadcaster/helicopter setup as theres no planned tv coverage that Ive seen promoted yet and not even any hint of highlights though youd expect there must surely be something...but I get the distinct feeling its all a bit lower budget than that this year, and theres just not enough mobile coverage to do anything but a vague web cam setup, and maybe some patchy online updates when they have signal, which wont be very often once they are out in the middle of nowhere or on the north norfolk coast.

still at least the locals are looking forward to it...https://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/road-c ... -1-6121908 ok maybe not so much then :roll:

also heads up no direct trains to Norwich from London on Sunday,its bustitution from Ipswich, or go from Kings Cross via Cambridge instead. and people thought the Isle of Man was isolated and awkward :)
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    I live in Norwich and it has been a proper balls up, the event is being organised by Golazo who I believe are based in Holland/Belgium. They came in with big ideas of full road closures and 35,000 people doing the sportive. Norfolk County Council were having none of it and it was scaled down after that.
    The local information has been woeful, routes have only been confirmed this week.
    Golazo are obviously not proud of their involvement as they do not even list this event on their own website,
    https://www.golazo.com/calendar
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Given the profile of cycling in the UK these days you think they would love this sort of event. Maybe not into European sports in Norfolk or summit.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Dowsett is featured in the BBC R5 poadcast 'Bespoke' this week. It's about tt'ing and is a very interesting listen. It starts at the saddle apparently!.
  • mididoctors
    amrushton wrote:
    Dowsett is featured in the BBC R5 poadcast 'Bespoke' this week. It's about tt'ing and is a very interesting listen. It starts at the saddle apparently!.
    on his doorstep that course being a Essex lanes roadman. Even more of a shoe in than normal.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    He's a good bloke is Dowsett.

Have bumped into him at the occasional coffee stop and he's what you'd want the pro on your doorstep (sort of) to be.

I probably made him awkward by being a bit of a weird fan and congratulating him for his Giro TT win years after the event, but I remember it well and he deserves for that to be celebrated.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    D-IZQFuWsAA06Aw.jpg:large
  • mididoctors

Have bumped into him at the occasional coffee stop and he's what you'd want the pro on your doorstep (sort of) to be.

I probably made him awkward by being a bit of a weird fan and congratulating him for his Giro TT win years after the event, but I remember it well and he deserves for that to be celebrated.

Probably the rider most ridden with if you out from London. If you can keep up . If he doesn't want company you will know easy enough.
  • rick_chasey

Probably the rider most ridden with if you out from London. If you can keep up . If he doesn't want company you will know easy enough.

Only off the bike.

Probably for the best. My fantasies of being an ok cyclist would evaporate fairly instantly on contact with a World Tour pro.
  • Mad_Malx
    Claimed the scalp of a former British RR champion a while back on my commute. Over 50% of the competitors (by mass) were properly racing. The remainder may not have realised there was a race on.
  • mididoctors

Only off the bike.

Probably for the best. My fantasies of being an ok cyclist would evaporate fairly instantly on contact with a World Tour pro.

When he or any pro is riding socially in a group.. it tends to gets a bit half Wheely from everyone ... Ego is a funny thing. Half wheeling is my main activity on a bike . ... Best thing about cycling isn't it?

I tried a few times to go with him at pace ..he says hello friendly enough then somewhat quickly after taking the wheel you find you need a strong optical device to see said back wheel. Saves a session of intervals on the turbo.
  • rick_chasey
    Haha I can imagine. I'm too much of a fan to dare half wheel a pro...!

I'm quite
    tenor.gif?itemid=5103039
  • mididoctors
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Claimed the scalp of a former British RR champion a while back on my commute. Over 50% of the competitors (by mass) were properly racing. The remainder may not have realised there was a race on.

I beat the British RR champion on the weekend warrior A104 drag from robin hood roundabout classic return to London ronde. Well masters RR champion really...after he had been racing track in the morning. But I'll take it
  • mididoctors
    Haha I can imagine. I'm too much of a fan to dare half wheel a pro...!

I'm quite
    tenor.gif?itemid=5103039

It's all the non pros half wheeling each other if it's a group with a pro in it.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. My ego left my cycling side long ago. Have been humbled far too often by people with far far fewer miles in their legs to care now.

The number of guys who suddenly get into it and 6 months later are dropping me...I ride on pure enthusiasm and lack of weight.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    So long as you don't fan Boi as much as I did when I met Marianne Vos you're doing well...

(Ooh I'm ashamed even remembering it)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Ahahahahahaha