Felt or Calibre?

Tombsterz
Tombsterz Posts: 4
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
I'm thinking of either buying the Felt 9/80 (£349 down from £549) or calibre two cubed (£399 down from £599) as my first MTB. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for these or if there any sub-£400 MTBs that are better?
Any advice is welcome :)

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2019
    The Calibre is the better bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    The Calibre is by far the better bike. Fork, brakes, drivetrain, there's no contest.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Tombsterz
    Ok thanks, I'm interested in the Calibre but I quite like the look of the Felt and it's more within my budget. I had a feeling the Calibre is better because of the reviews, but is the Felt actually any good or should I just avoid it? I'm just basing this on the cheaper price and looks but obviously components and geometry are just as important
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    £500 is usually considered the lowest price you should go for in a MTB, in the Calibre you are getting what most others would charge £700 for, so it's a bargain at £399.

Don't go on looks at this price you could end up with a dog.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • My first bike was a Felt.
    Made a stupid and costly decision, based on the fact that I liked the colour/look of the Felt when there were so many better bikes in that price bracket. :oops:
    (There is a reason why there are so many cheaply 2nd-hand bikes for sale on Gumtree/eBay etc. They all bought cheap, heavy bikes with poor components which aren't fun to ride.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    It's £50, just wait another month if it's an issue, they really are a fair distance apart. Don't buy the Felt, you will regret it.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Tombsterz
    Ok thanks for the advice, I'll steer clear of the felt!
  • RagnarL
    RagnarL Posts: 63
    Tombsterz wrote:
    Ok thanks for the advice, I'll steer clear of the felt!

Definitely I have done a lot of research of the last 12 months etc on budget bikes. There is a review out on the two cubed from mbr I think stating there is nothing comparable to it at the price range. It won the new sub 375 hardtail of the year cat aswell by a country mile.