Big Shorts

8linkhorn
8linkhorn Posts: 12
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
I have commuted in several cities and noticed a pretty standard uniform for any gender: close fitting leg wear - generally black, with something highly visible on the top half. Sleek, athletic and practical. Recently, however, when cycling in Birmingham I noticed most commuters had an almost identical uniform to this, but with one addition: a large loose pair of shorts over the trousers. Keen to investigate the possible benefits of this, I tried it out for myself on my return home. I could not appreciate any advantages to this get-up, but I did feel rather absurd and it felt like everyone I passed was either pointing, laughing or both! If anyone has seen or tried this phenomenon for themselves, please could you enlighten me as to how and why this has evolved, and whether I’m missing something (apart from the big shorts!). Ta

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    What do you mean by "Big Shorts"?
    MTB Style Baggies, that look like 3/4 length cargo shortS? (Endura Humveee as an example)

I find many who chain trips together, such as to the shops on their way to/from work or somewhere for a pint will wear baggies, on the basis that this seems a bit more "normal", and stops some of the perceived stares that you can get in the shopping cue with the figure hugging shorts and pad (aka pant liner by some) putting too much on show.

I wear baggies because I've do the above.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    How big were these 'big' shorts.

I wear mtb shorts for my commute, can't say that I've ever been overly concerned about people finding them ridiculous. They look a lot more 'normal' than figure hugging lycra.
  • 8linkhorn
    Those sound like the ones I mean, so it is purely an aesthetic thing I guess.
    I would still reckon they look less ‘normal’ when it is obvious you have arrived on a bike. I have personally never perceived stares without the shorts, nor considered it unusual seeing someone else similarly clad at the checkout.
    Each to their own ‘ey.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Some people worry about these things...
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102701&hilit=Pecker
  • 8linkhorn
    MrB123 wrote:
    Blimey!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Personally I never wear lycra shorts for commuting. Always baggies or chino types. It's not a race, at least it's not on the Basingstoke Canal school run.
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    I wear officially-designated "Urban" shorts on my commute. They aren't what I'd call big, but they are not skin tight and could be worn in supermarket or pub without the least fear of embarrassment, were it not for the fact that I once wore them mountain-biking on a wet day in Wales, permanently staining the backside a fetching shade of yellowy-brown (this is what happens when you wear urban shorts in a non-urban environment).

Edit: my commute IS a race, but I run flats, so wear trainers, and long study of the sartorial habits of the London commuter has shown me that lycra + trainers is not a good look. Some may argue that use of flat pedals belies a lack of serious SCR intent, but a) I like to use the bike in street clothes from time to time, and b) I can still ride quite fast with flat pedals on.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Where whatever the hell you want on your commute. Shouldn't matter to anyone else.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    MrB123 wrote:
    You say that, but my wife has effectively banned me from wearing my new CHPT3 shorts in public for this very reason. Bloody comfy they are too. She does have a point though...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    PBlakeney wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    You say that, but my wife has effectively banned me from wearing my new CHPT3 shorts in public for this very reason. Bloody comfy they are too. She does have a point though...

So do you by the sound of it...
  • Its a good film, especially the bit with Steve Carell in the strip club.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Baggies are fine for commuting, I'm not sure about baggies over trousers though?
    I'll wear them over a base layer in winter if it's sub zero, or over biblongs if I'm going MTB in the winter.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    PBlakeney wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

What if some see's the outline of your parts you're going to run off and shag them and or have an affair?

I'd ask for dinner and drinks first
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Sage advice indeed coming from the guy with stains in his bibs shorts.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 8linkhorn
    I wear officially-designated "Urban" shorts on my commute. They aren't what I'd call big, but they are not skin tight and could be worn in supermarket or pub without the least fear of embarrassment, were it not for the fact that I once wore them mountain-biking on a wet day in Wales, permanently staining the backside a fetching shade of yellowy-brown (this is what happens when you wear urban shorts in a non-urban environment).

Edit: my commute IS a race, but I run flats, so wear trainers, and long study of the sartorial habits of the London commuter has shown me that lycra + trainers is not a good look. Some may argue that use of flat pedals belies a lack of serious SCR intent, but a) I like to use the bike in street clothes from time to time, and b) I can still ride quite fast with flat pedals on.

Lycra + trainers = what millions of runners exercise in every day. Look fine to me...
  • 8linkhorn wrote:
    Lycra + trainers = what millions of runners exercise in every day. Look fine to me...
    That depends. I had to follow a rather large gent in lycra on the commute home last night. Not a pretty sight.
    Kept trying to get round him but he kept drafting me and passing me on the hills.

Wouldn't want anyone else to endure that - hence why I wear bib-shorts with baggies over the top.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • 8linkhorn
    So the bike fashion designers have missed a trick. If I design a cycling top that is long enough at the front to cover ones gender specifics, I could make my first million!