Landa
Nibali

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,229
    Ahem - Bernal not Bardet
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I give up... Is this thread about who will come third?
    Half man, Half bike
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Richie Porte to slip away unnoticed in a break in mountains
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ahem - Bernal not Bardet

It's up to you to make your own predictions
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Ahem - Bernal not Bardet

And you've put Bardet in two categories
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ahem - Bernal not Bardet

I did that deliberately in the other threads but no one commented on it. Should have made it more obvious
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Interesting Quintana and Porte aren't even on the list ?

Both have massive question marks over them but they are two who have shown that at their best they have the w/kg to win mountain stages and the ability to limit their losses - or in Porte's case to take time - in time trials.

Making the case for them.... this time last year Porte had just one Tour de Suisse ... and Quintana looked as strong as Bernal at Paris Nice earlier this year. OK you can also make a bigger case against them but apart from Bernal (and that is ignoring his age and number 2 position) I think you can make a case against everyone.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,229
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ahem - Bernal not Bardet

This - I wasn't expressing an opinion on where Bardet or Bernal should be. I will happily express an opinion on how pretty Bardet is though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,484

Both have massive question marks over them but they are two who have shown that at their best they have the w/kg to win mountain stages and the ability to limit their losses - or in Porte's case to take time - in time trials.

Making the case for them.... this time last year Porte had just one Tour de Suisse ... and Quintana looked as strong as Bernal at Paris Nice earlier this year. OK you can also make a bigger case against them but apart from Bernal (and that is ignoring his age and number 2 position) I think you can make a case against everyone.

I'm surprised how Quintana in particular seems to have been ruled out in all these threads. Sure, he hasn't become the rider everyone expected and was poor last season but amongst this field should be a major contender.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Pross wrote:

I'm surprised how Quintana in particular seems to have been ruled out in all these threads. Sure, he hasn't become the rider everyone expected and was poor last season but amongst this field should be a major contender.

9th in the Dauphine, highest stage finish 8th. Best result this season 2nd in Paris-Nice (with a highest stage finish of 10th)

Add that to his disappointing habit of .... not doing anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Without Froome, whose wheel will he follow?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,608
    Pross wrote:

9th in the Dauphine, highest stage finish 8th. Best result this season 2nd in Paris-Nice (with a highest stage finish of 10th)

The altitude at the end of the third week does really suit him.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Pross wrote:

In Paris Nice he was as strong as Bernal, saying he had a best stage finish of 10th doesn't tell the story. He had a poor 2018 and a poor Dauphine - who knows what his aims were for the Dauphine perhaps it was ridden purely as training, ok I doubt that excuse works for a poor 2018 but his grand tour palmares makes him a contender in a weakened field.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    And he did beat Froome at the Vuelta. Can't be taken away from him.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Cobo begs to differ :D
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    M.R.M. wrote:

Contador and co. had to drag him away on that break, yep its all racing and he won, but it wasn't of his making in the slightest.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    Quintana won that vuelta fair and square. The giro win is a different matter.
  • Just put your predictions - the talking stops here...!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bernal
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Bernal
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Bernal, but would love to see Uran win.

DD.
  • mididoctors
    Ignore
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Egan Bacon