Tour build up 2019

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
edited July 2019 in Pro race
So we have all the threads discussing who's gonna win the bloody thing, but there's more to the Tour then that (thank god).

So, who's gonna be in yellow after stage one, and how does that impact the likely jersey holders after stage two, the TTT.

Stage 3 isn't straightforward either with a cheeky cat 3 cote just before a draggy sprint and it's only really till stage 4 you get a proper flat flat sprint, given stage one is a little draggy too, and by stage five you've got a proper GvA style hilly stage, only it's got 20km of flat for the inevitable break to play silly buggers.

Then you're into Planche des Belles Filles and it's full on GC action time.

first week doesn't look too shabby therefore, considering.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited June 2019
    S1..I didn't know about the cobbles till now ... Mid stage. Not the worst but not nothing... https://maps.app.goo.gl/cxvRzvyLXhCSwmrJ8all those GC teams trying to get on it. Most likely a mild cross head wind? Didn't realise the stage was so tricky. The sprint at the end is still a sprinters finish.... They should get up that.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    S1..I didn't know about the cobbles till now ... Mid stage. Not the worst but not nothing... All those GC teams trying to get on it. Most likely a mild cross head wind? Didn't realise the stage was so tricky. The sprint at the end is still a sprinters finish.... They should get up that.

The sprint is a little draggy too.

suits.....Ewan? (oh noooooo) though if it's technical i'd back Groenewegen too.
  • mididoctors
    S1..I didn't know about the cobbles till now ... Mid stage. Not the worst but not nothing... All those GC teams trying to get on it. Most likely a mild cross head wind? Didn't realise the stage was so tricky. The sprint at the end is still a sprinters finish.... They should get up that.

The sprint is a little draggy too.

suits.....Ewan? (oh noooooo) though if it's technical i'd back Groenewegen too.
    looks straight on the map but road book would be better. Not downloading that onto my phone.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I am feeling the bonus sec primes on some of these stages.. may be 8 secs is not enough?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    PTP will go up next week. Probably on Monday.

I'll be doing all the jerseys and combativity award again
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:

Wckd etc... Maybe regig the green jersey and polka dot . I won them both by being right in the hills more than sprints.. Maybe no green points on mountain days ..make picking the sprints transition days more important for green.

I would have won yellow too if G hadn't deliberately sat up in the final TT .

Sticking my oar in ....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Wckd etc... Maybe regig the green jersey and polka dot . I won them both by being right in the hills more than sprints.. Maybe no green points on mountain days ..make picking the sprints transition days more important for green.

I would have won yellow too if G hadn't deliberately sat up in the final TT .

Sticking my oar in ....
    Maybe you were just too good. Maybe I should ban you.

I'll consider it, but I like to keep it simple (especially as I'm not unemployed like last year). I'm more inclined to rejig the KOM than the Green Jersey. I think things will naturally pan out differently this year with no obvious GC favourites.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Is the roadbook available anywhere yet?
    Will be riding the etape and staying out for the rest of the week so will catch 18, 19 & 20
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Is the roadbook available anywhere yet?
    Will be riding the etape and staying out for the rest of the week so will catch 18, 19 & 20

Nope. Not yet.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Ignore
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    S1..I didn't know about the cobbles till now ... Mid stage. Not the worst but not nothing... https://maps.app.goo.gl/cxvRzvyLXhCSwmrJ8all those GC teams trying to get on it. Most likely a mild cross head wind? Didn't realise the stage was so tricky. The sprint at the end is still a sprinters finish.... They should get up that.

Is it just me that thinks it's a touch on the insane side to put the full peloton on that on stage one?

Rest of the week.... I can see Quickstep with the yellow, possibly sharing it between them a bit. Not too shabby in a TTT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Is it just me that thinks it's a touch on the insane side to put the full peloton on that on stage one?

Rest of the week.... I can see Quickstep with the yellow, possibly sharing it between them a bit. Not too shabby in a TTT.

You are correct.
    The same person that told me about Dumoulin said that it is going to be full on from the gun, because the KoMs are between kms 40-50. Could be carnage and somebody's GC could be over before it's begun.

I'm unlikely to post much for the next week or so, as I'm on hols and only have the phone.
    So I sure won't be doing any early stage threads. Thursday week probs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i just hope its not a boring as the other races so far this year
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I predict a bore fest
  • mididoctors

I'm unlikely to post much for the next week or so, as I'm on hols and only have the phone.
    So I sure won't be doing any early stage threads. Thursday week probs.

You up for doing them day by day during the tour proper when you return?
  • mididoctors
    I predict a bore fest

Maybe how's that going to come about?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I predict a bore fest

Good question, Ineos are so strong that the race may we’ll be dead bar manufactured drama between Thomas and Bernal while everyone marks each other out in a very hilly edition. Alternatively bernal might kill everyone in the first day in the mountains.

On the other hand, one or more key Ineos riders may fall off, leaving it far wider and it could turn out to be a corker :)
  • mididoctors
    I predict a bore fest

Good question, Ineos are so strong that the race may we’ll be dead bar manufactured drama between Thomas and Bernal while everyone marks each other out in a very hilly edition. Alternatively bernal might kill everyone in the first day in the mountains.

On the other hand, one or more key Ineos riders may fall off, leaving it far wider and it could turn out to be a corker :)

Basically .... Boring because Ineos.
  • rick_chasey
    I think Prudhome is pretty good at the opening week's route.

They're always pretty interesting.

It's been pretty hard to light up the GT race as the competition hasn't really been there, and perhpas there's some criticism to be levelled there (but what would you have done differently), but the Tour day-to-day is much improved over pre-2007 Tours.
  • mididoctors
    I agree all the GTs have improved . As has cycling.
  • RichN95.
    Teams are starting to be announced. Jumbo-Visma announced there's so long ago I think it had Freire and Menchov in it

Lotto-Soudal, Ewen, Monfort, Benoot, Keukeleire, Kluge, Wellens, De Gendt, De Buyst
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    RichN95 wrote:
    Teams are starting to be announced. Jumbo-Visma announced there's so long ago I think it had Freire and Menchov in it

Lotto-Soudal, Ewen, Monfort, Benoot, Keukeleire, Kluge, Wellens, De Gendt, De Buyst

Arkea announced their first six riders (whole confirmed teams have a green tick):

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Arkea announced their first six riders (whole confirmed teams have a green tick):

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist

Glad Delaplace gets a ride - betting he's in the first break in the neutralised section? One day it will pay off
  • mididoctors
    Don't know till you try
  • RichN95.
    Wanty team: G.Martin, Backaert, A.De Gendt (no relation), Offredo, Van Meslen, Eiking, Meurisse, Pasqualon

Elsewhere there is talk of Simon Yates riding as well as Adam. (Maybe teams are finally cottoning on to Sky's usual tactic of taking their Giro leader to the Tour)
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Wanty team: G.Martin, Backaert, A.De Gendt (no relation), Offredo, Van Meslen, Eiking, Meurisse, Pasqualon

Elsewhere there is talk of Simon Yates riding as well as Adam. (Maybe teams are finally cottoning on to Sky's usual tactic of taking their Giro leader to the Tour)

Of all the teams, Michelton probably have the best 'all for the team' culture to actually make the best use of multiple GC threats.

Sky do do it, albeit reluctantly.

Movistar have had the talent on the bike but not in the car to do so. There are suggestions the addition of Sciandri as DS has changed that, but I think the jury's out so far.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Of all the teams, Michelton probably have the best 'all for the team' culture to actually make the best use of multiple GC threats.

Sky do do it, albeit reluctantly.

Movistar have had the talent on the bike but not in the car to do so. There are suggestions the addition of Sciandri as DS has changed that, but I think the jury's out so far.
    But what Sky did for the last four years was send their best 8 or 9 riders to the Tour. No exceptions. Porte, Landa, Thomas, Froome - leaders at the Giro, but still in the Tour team. Other teams still split their top riders between the Tour & the Giro.

Again this year you won't be able to name a rider that could significantly improve Ineos, but you probably can for all the other WT teams.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah not disagreeing - thought you wonder whether that is cause or effect.

If you're mitchelton, you see Sky's roster for the Tour and may think "why bother, we're better off gunning for stuff elsewhere".
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I'm standing by my earlier prediction that for GC this is going to be relentlessly boring.
    Ineos still look exceptionally strong and capable of controlling pretty much anything. They have the top two favourites for the Tour. If there's any excitement it will come from "the leadership question" between them.

The rest will be happy enough with a podium or a top ten, and won't take risks. There are no multiple GC winners who would be ready for a hail-Mary attack from distance to try and grab yellow. They'll sit in wheels and mark each other for the placings.

If I'm wrong, then my best guess is that it's Astana that try and make a race of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Yeah not disagreeing - thought you wonder whether that is cause or effect.

If you're mitchelton, you see Sky's roster for the Tour and may think "why bother, we're better off gunning for stuff elsewhere".
    If that is the approach of teams, when did it start? And is it Ineos or Froome they are avoiding?

I've always found the Sky dominate/salary cap type talk a little hollow when other teams don;t turn up with their best 8. Sure, they have greater strength in depth than most, but man for man several teams can match them, Froome aside.