Right bottom bracket for Boardman team carbon 2016?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hi All,
I've got a Boardman Team Carbon 2016, yellow and black, with a FSA chainset and believe the PF30 BB has started to creak badly again. I re-greased the bearings in situ last year and it sorted it but seems only a temporary fix.
It does the usual noises when out the saddle putting power/effort into the pedals. I've traced it and I'm fairly happy that its the none drive side as I can move the crank arm slightly and it creaks and clicks moving very slightly.
l believe its best not to just replace the bearings as the BB plastic shells will more than likely be damaged getting the bearings out.
Is it worth just getting a straight full BB replacement like the below or looking at something more expensive like a Wheels manufacturing replacement?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... cc546d3bb9

Thanks all.
Regards.
Tony.

Comments

• Are you sure the crank is done up properly? FSA recommend quite a high torque for the crank bolt - 38-41Nm.
  • tonysj
    Are you sure the crank is done up properly? FSA recommend quite a high torque for the crank bolt - 38-41Nm.
    I don't have a torque wrench but will check if its tight, I did check it yesterday when I found the creak issue as initially I thought it was the none drive side pedal but changed the pedal from another bike and it didn't cure the creaking.

What does the silver centre ring thats on the outside of the Allen key bolt in the centre actually do?

Thanks.
    T
  • tonysj
    I've checked the crank bolt and tapped the cranks together using a piece of wood and rubber mallet before tightening again. I've noticed there is some lateral movement across the crank when I pull the none drive crank against the chain stay, its about 1 mm.

Is this likely to be the cause of the creaking as it clicks when I pull them together and let go?

Do I need a new PF BB do you think to sort this issue.?

Regards.
    T
  • tonysj
    TonySJ wrote:
    Are you sure the crank is done up properly? FSA recommend quite a high torque for the crank bolt - 38-41Nm.
    I don't have a torque wrench but will check if its tight, I did check it yesterday when I found the creak issue as initially I thought it was the none drive side pedal but changed the pedal from another bike and it didn't cure the creaking.

Thanks.
    T
    Raisinberry777. Turns out you were right. After tapping the cranks arms together with a block of wood and a rubber mallet then tightening the crank bolt up some more the creaking has gone. Thanks for the Bang on info.
    Regards.
    Tony.