Chris Froome

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    PBlakeney wrote:
    fredmac wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

I am sure froome is a better bike handler than me,

Well, I haven't seen you ride a bike but I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    Based purely on TV highlights and memory Chris does appear to crash on a regular basis so you may be on to something there.

I need to own up to falling off my mtb just after Xmas going for a fast time on a greasy grass decent. Had to use a timber gate to stop me and ended up with a black eye and sore ribs.

Managed to get the 2nd fastest score on Strava with 22 seconds.

Hold on...

Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    PBlakeney wrote:
    fredmac wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

I am sure froome is a better bike handler than me,

Well, I haven't seen you ride a bike but I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    Based purely on TV highlights and memory Chris does appear to crash on a regular basis so you may be on to something there.
    While he does crash, prior to the Dauphine he had the longest streak of no DNF/DNS of any World Tour rider (going back to the 2015 Vuelta)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    He certainly crashed a lot earlier in his career but he looked to have worked quite hard on it in more recent years. I think he was just over confident.
  • ALL top racing cyclists crash at some point, that's the thing : these guys are on the edge a lot of the time and to gain any advantage they often push it to and beyond the limit of their ability/traction. It's easy to avoid (almost all) crashes, ride slow and reduce risk but that way they won't win any races.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ALL top racing cyclists crash at some point, that's the thing : these guys are on the edge a lot of the time and to gain any advantage they often push it to and beyond the limit of their ability/traction. It's easy to avoid (almost all) crashes, ride slow and reduce risk but that way they won't win any races.

And frequently cant see where theyre going or avoid obstacles anyway.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    ALL top racing cyclists crash at some point, that's the thing : these guys are on the edge a lot of the time and to gain any advantage they often push it to and beyond the limit of their ability/traction. It's easy to avoid (almost all) crashes, ride slow and reduce risk but that way they won't win any races.

And frequently cant see where theyre going or avoid obstacles anyway.
    The stem watching is just a cover story.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Just reading Geraint’s book. He’s Froomes mate and even he admits he doesn’t like following him. The stem staring habit causes him to flick about giving the rider behind constant problems trying to avoid his direction changes.

He looks terrible on a bike and however efficient he may end up being, he always seems to be on his arse.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Shipley wrote:
    Just reading Geraint’s book. He’s Froomes mate and even he admits he doesn’t like following him. The stem staring habit causes him to flick about giving the rider behind constant problems trying to avoid his direction changes.

He looks terrible on a bike and however efficient he may end up being, he always seems to be on his ars*.
    I think the Masonic link is the cover story. He just wasn't looking where he was going.

#stem-gate
  • Shipley wrote:

He looks terrible on a bike and however efficient he may end up being, he always seems to be on his ars*.

Yeah, I guess he was just lucky to win all those Grand Tours....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

It really is peak 2019 that Rich posts his interesting stat and people still claim Froome is super-crashy.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    they ride more than most people so have a higher chance of crashing.. im sure if I rode as much as them id crash just as much.

To be fair to him most of his recent crashes havent been his fault. The current one was just a freak accident
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

It really is peak 2019 that Rich posts his interesting stat and people still claim Froome is super-crashy.
    As his recent crash and his 2015 Vuelta crash were both DNSs, he still leads the way on most race days since a DNF

https://www.procyclingstats.com/statist ... ithout-dnf
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

As his recent crash and his 2015 Vuelta crash were both DNSs, he still leads the way on most race days since a DNF

Bluntly, you don't win as many GTs in the time he has by falling off - as much as it looks like he's about to - and he often looks like he's about to fall off.

Doubt he touches Armstrong on the no-crashes front.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Bluntly, you don't win as many GTs in the time he has by falling off - as much as it looks like he's about to - and he often looks like he's about to fall off.

Doubt he touches Armstrong on the no-crashes front.
    He has his fair share of incidents, it's just that every time he goes down it's a big story so we notice and remember them all, even the minor ones.
  • rick_chasey
    Well yes.

We all remember Armstrong on Luz Ardiden....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The most crashy GC rider I can remember was zulle. Crashed so often it stopped being news. Literally. He got good at not getting race finishing injuries thou. I can never remember indurain on the deck. Can't recall any GC rider apart from him who wasn't in a crash at some time.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    The best example of a rider losing his confidence after a crash has to be Rasmussen's TT. That was cringe worthy.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Zulle did have quite thick glasses on though didn't he ? Can't help if it rains or something in a race.
  • mididoctors
    Fenix wrote:
    Zulle did have quite thick glasses on though didn't he ? Can't help if it rains or something in a race.

He would disappear from the front of the race then reappear with with torn kit. .. oh he has been on the deck again. There was a time the team reported he crashed 6 times in one stage.. one of which was due to riding into a farm yard by mistake. None of it reported or filmed during the stage . The team made him finish the 93 tour with broken ribs.

Crazy really .
  • mididoctors
    It may have been a eyesight issue but he crashed in all weathers

Edit... Still won two vuelta
  • RichN95.
    Zulle is now head of the Swiss Freemasons

(not really)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Fenix wrote:

He would disappear from the front of the race then reappear with with torn kit. .. oh he has been on the deck again. There was a time the team reported he crashed 6 times in one stage.. one of which was due to riding into a farm yard by mistake. None of it reported or filmed during the stage . The team made him finish the 93 tour with broken ribs.

Crazy really .

Ah when GT riders were men and spectators were skittles!
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    Zulle is now head of the Swiss Freemasons

(not really)

Kept that quiet. Never was one for the post race interview
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Denis Menchov was prone to crashing quite regularly I seem to recall. Sure he managed it once when going up hill, which was quite something.
  • rick_chasey
    phreak wrote:
    Denis Menchov was prone to crashing quite regularly I seem to recall. Sure he managed it once when going up hill, which was quite something.

Yeah.

Rarely hurt himself though.
  • mididoctors
    G crashes more than froome.
  • rick_chasey
    G crashes more than froome.

Trackie ;)
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    phreak wrote:

So did Cancellara at P-R :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    phreak wrote:

Yeah.

Rarely hurt himself though.

Did prompt a nice and induced rage at the end of the 2009 Giro though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPt9tsnzXLc
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    Sebastian Reichenbach crashes the most IMO.

The Reichenbach Falls?

I'll get my gillet!