Jag wire pro slick gear cables

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
whats the thoughts on these cables?

Always used shimano stainless but seen these on eBay while looking for shimano cables.

Does the polishing really make a difference?

Another thing never had a cable snap and wondered if these are weaker?

I’ll be using in some sp41 I have spare.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I haven't used Jagwire, but I have used the Shimano XT stuff with ptfe coated wire and a lubed outer cable. I guess that they are pretty much the same. But is it worth paying the extra vs the standard stuff?

In my opinion, this sort of stuff is only really worth using if you have through cables, not the interrupted version because of the extra friction). The shifting was smoother and it lasted quite a while. But was it worth the money vs standard? ....err yes! :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I haven't used Jagwire, but I have used the Shimano XT stuff with ptfe coated wire and a lubed outer cable. I guess that they are pretty much the same. But is it worth paying the extra vs the standard stuff?

In my opinion, this sort of stuff is only really worth using if you have through cables, not the interrupted version because of the extra friction). The shifting was smoother and it lasted quite a while. But was it worth the money vs standard? ....err yes! :)

Never noticed them before always just bought standard Shimano stainless cables but seeing the words polished and slick got my interest.

Due to replace a full outer and inner cable on a bike I use for travel to work and thought I'd treat it to a higher end gear cable with the use it gets.

One of these or a opti slick shimano gear cable
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I've used one of these and it worked really well:

https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/j ... -shift-kit

They are all a muchness with stainless, polished, PTFE etc. A lot of it is marketing fairy dust.

Any clean cable and inner will do the job.
    "Ride, crash, replace"