Shock! - service or replace for cheaper

loudog
loudog Posts: 136
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Got a 2015 fox float Factory CTD w/Boost valve shock that needs its second major TF tuned service in two years. The service costs just over £100. The shock is pretty old now so have considered buying a new (but older) shock which actually works out at a cheaper cost......

Choice options

ROCKSHOX Monarch RT
Fox Float Performance (NON boost)

Both £99.99

Will a new - but slightly less capable shock still be better than my beaten shock even after a service?
Will I even notice?

An it's not really a forever shock anyway, Would like to think i'm due a new bike towards the end of next year....

OPINIONS PLEASE

Mainly riding Trail & bike park. BPW, AFAN, Coed y Brenin, Chicksands, Woburn. That sorta vibe.
It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    My order of preference would be

Service through TF (by some way)
    New Fox
    New RS
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If it comes back from a service, it will be as good as new, bar any cosmetic damage to the exterior of the body. So you get an as new capable shock for less money. You will notice a less capable shock.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you don't want to service it, why not just ride it into the ground?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Personally, a better shock that has been serviced is preferable to a cheaper (less capable) shock that is brand new.

Having used TFT recently, I'm quite happy to keep sending back my 6 year old shock and forks. They come back pristine.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    BillyCool wrote:
    Personally, a better shock that has been serviced is preferable to a cheaper (less capable) shock that is brand new.
    This.
    Your new, cheap shock will need servicing at similar cost and intervals to your old shock. Why compromise on performance to save a few quid?