C2W Halfords, mountain bike <£800 advice

MrMister111
MrMister111 Posts: 74
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of C2W scheme and was (in another thread) thinking was going to go for a hybrid but had a very quick look in Halfords and now think prefer mountain bike instead.

My use will be starting out again on bikes, never done proper mountain biking, what I want for is basic commuting and coastline hills and tracks. No forests etc, very basic use out and about around the doors as such.

Budget is <£800 and Halfords doing 15% trade in as well which will help with price. So I was edging towards Boardman MHT 8.6/8.8, but open to suggestions please.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Voodoo Bizango, https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -22-frames
    By far the best value for money at that price point from anywhere (not just Halfords), a 29er would also suite your usage better than a smaller wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Seconded - I've got a Bizango, love it.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie wrote:
    a 29er would also suite your usage better than a smaller wheel.
    Thanks will have a look.

Noticed the Boardman MHT 8.6 has 27.5, the 8.8 has 29, so as you say the 8.8 would be better? Is this because of riding on normal roads would be better?

Why does the 8.6 have 27 and 8.8 29?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just different. 29er wheels are a bit more fast rolling which suites road biking (broadly, you don't see riders in the Tour de France riding BMX sized wheels, do you?), at the moment 27.5 and 29 are the two dominant standards for MTB wheels. Some like one, some like the other, hence Boardman making bikes with both options. Neither is wrong or right, and if you've only got one bike and limited experience I doubt you'd really fall in love / hate either size. If the gearing is identical on a 27.5 and a 29er, you go faster for the same pedaling cadence on a 29er.

I honestly can't see what you're paying £200 more for between the Boardman 8.8 and the Bizango. The Bizango fork is not Rockshox, but is a nice Suntour equivalent fork. The Boardman is heavier (I can vouch for the weight of the Bizango as being 12.8kg when I weighed it when I got home, so that's nearly a kilo lighter than the Boardman), the drive train is identical, the brakes are identical etc. Money may not be the sole decider if its C2W so I can undertand the appeal of a nice mature brand vs the more "youf" flavour of the Bizango (colour scheme, branding etc), but for £200 I know which I'd go for!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    pretty sure halfords are sold out of bizangos, ive been looking for the last 2/3 weeks and there website just shows unavailable in store and delivered when you try to buy
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Don't be discouraged by website availability. I've managed to buy a bike by visiting the shop and they sourced one in for me.
  • Well bought a Boardman MHT 8.6, hope is decent!