Beer at home

mouth
mouth Posts: 1,195
edited July 2019 in The cake stop
So I'm quite partial to the odd cold one at home. With whisk(e)y it's obvious, wine the same. Do you take your beer straight from the can/bottle or do you make the effort to pour it into a glass?
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have always had to drink from a glass, no idea why though
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    From a glass. I have a glass that is the perfect size for a 330ml bottle with a little head and some pint glasses for 500ml cans (although it irks me a little that the glass is underfilled).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I have always had to drink from a glass, no idea why though

..does 'always' include when you were a baby?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Always from a glass to get the full flavour of the beer.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • oxoman wrote:
    Straight from the bottle, if it's a can it goes in a glass.

This.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Beer in a can? Why would you?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

You don't, you pour it in a glass....
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

This.

With a glass, your nose is in there whilst you're drinking, and you get the aromas which make up the flavour.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

No, you leave it in the shop and buy beer in a bottle instead!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 447
    Capt Slog wrote:

This.

With a glass, your nose is in there whilst you're drinking, and you get the aromas which make up the flavour.
    Which is why some beers are best drunk out of the bottle....
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Capt Slog wrote:

This.

Which is why some beers are best drunk out of the bottle....

Then why drink it? :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What are your thoughts on those mini kegs though?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Always in a glass.

Only time I drink from a bottle it's because I'm on the bke
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Beer or Lager - glass, can, bottle? Who cares as long as it gets in yer belly! Each have their place and situation.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Those of you who are married may find that drinking beer out of a glass is the safest option.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I either drink cheap strong Polish lager straight from the can, as cold as possible, or I'll pour a good bottle of "proper" beer into a glass. You can get get nice beer in cans now too, which will also go in a glass.

Mmmm. Beer.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Mouth wrote:
    With whisk(e)y it's obvious, wine the same.

Well, you say that....... :o :shock: :?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Step83 wrote:

Again, I always transfer to a glass before drinking.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Always from a glass.
    I try to avoid the beers from major brewers. Ringwood brewery now turning out utter rubbish since Marstons acquired them. Doombar from Sharps now poor since Coors bought them out and now brewed in Button on Trent.
    Good indy breweries in the Sarf.
    Flack Manor
    Andwells
    Vibrant Forest
    Hopback
    Dorset Brewing
    Palmers
    Piddle
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Beer from a glass for me at home or at friends houses,also the thing with your beer/wine glasses you should only wash them with clean warm/hot water as using a detergent takes the plum off the glass,this is something I was told by one of my uncles who lived in Singapore and worked for Tiger beers for a long time, don't know how true this is but he was adamant about it
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    figbat wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Again, I always transfer to a glass before drinking.

True, I recall someone trying to use a hose or similar with one, results were less than desirable.

Glass is best for me, open an slow pour in to try an get a decent head to it.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    always use a glass
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Singleton wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    With whisk(e)y it's obvious, wine the same.

Well, you say that....... :o :shock: :?

When I see people drinking these straight from the bottle*, its usually a brand which is either so expensive or so cheap I've never heard of it. I suspect the latter if I'm honest.

As for my original post, and personal preference, usually I decant a can into a glass, but stick with the bottle if there is one.

*not gonna lie, I've done it with both. One that sticks out is a pre wedding round of golf in which we passed a nice single malt around between us. I'd never heard of the brand though...….
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Cans into a glass unless I'm chugging back something cheap, cold and strong purely for the effect.
    Bottles from the bottle unless it's a WeiBbier as they really need to be poured into a glass so you can enjoy the aroma as well.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    usually with mates under the bypass.....or in a glass ...usually Woodfordes Wherry , Adnams Broadside,,,,,Moongazer....or if available - Macewans Champion
    fight in a bottle !!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Always from a glass.
    I try to avoid the beers from major brewers. Ringwood brewery now turning out utter rubbish since Marstons acquired them. Doombar from Sharps now poor since Coors bought them out and now brewed in Button on Trent.
    Flack Manor
    Andwells
    Vibrant Forest
    Hopback
    Dorset Brewing
    Palmers
    Piddle

If you can find a supplier get thee any of the might fine range from Ramsbury, I'm lucky enough to live in the area so everywhere including Waitrose and Tesco stocks, plus I'm able to pop into their brewery to collect.

https://www.ramsburyestates.co.uk/

TIDY

http://www.thebellramsbury.com/

NOM
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    itboffin wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Always from a glass.
    Flack Manor
    Andwells
    Vibrant Forest
    Hopback
    Dorset Brewing
    Palmers
    Piddle

If you can find a supplier get thee any of the might fine range from Ramsbury, I'm lucky enough to live in the area so everywhere including Waitrose and Tesco stocks, plus I'm able to pop into their brewery to collect.

https://www.ramsburyestates.co.uk/

TIDY

http://www.thebellramsbury.com/

NOM

Ooh, will have to stop in on my next trip back to the inlaws. Thanks for the tip ITB.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I used to brew my home, which I'm tempted to start again with now kids are a bit older, but in smaller batches, rather than talking in liters rather than pints. 25l was minimum.
    I did a very nice clone of hopback summer lightening, from recaptured yeast from a few bottles.

Soap/detergent destroys the compounds that give the beer it's head.

Always carefully decant real ale from bottle into glass not only for the aroma but to prevent yeast sediment from stirring up if not been pasturised.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Tyke999 wrote:
    usually with mates under the bypass.....or in a glass ...usually Woodfordes Wherry , Adnams Broadside,,,,,Moongazer....or if available - Macewans Champion
    fight in a bottle !!!

McEwans Champion tried that last year but wasn't for me don't think i finished it either,I used to like their Export for home drinking,and would enjoy a pint of their 80 shilling my old local 20 odd years ago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

No, you leave it in the shop and buy beer in a bottle instead!
    Plenty of good beers available in cans now.

Hops are affected by sunlight and cans protect better against that. They also chill down quicker in the fridge.

For example one of the best reviewed craft brewers in the country (Cloudwater) is almost exclusively in cans apart from a few specials.