Vaaru MPA Ti

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited June 2019 in Your road bikes
Thought it was about time i posted some pics of my Ti bike, took them earlier and was amused by the attention it received from a nearby herd of cows that ambled over for a nose! Not good at picture process on here so hopefully this will work.

IMG_20190609_105925.jpg
IMG_20190609_105943_1.jpg
IMG_20190609_105935_1.jpg
IMG_20190609_110130.jpg
IMG_20190609_110114_1.jpg

For the technical, it's a

Vaaru MPA
Sram Red etap
Reynolds AR41 disc wheels
Zipp SL70 carbon bars and stem
Conti TL5000s
Speedplay pedals
Specialized Power Arc saddle
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Very good. I remember you posting on the "Nice frameset" thread I started.

Everyone tends to love their new bike, so I won't ask "do you like it?" because of course you do!

If I went for something like this it would in theory be a lot more relaxed ride than the current main bike which has pretty racey geometry and short wheelbase (but is still comfortable). So how are you finding the Vaaru compared to the Kuota?

What do you like? Anything you don't like or would change?

NB galvanized gate and bunch of cows perhaps not the best photo backdrop :wink:
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    rdt wrote:
    Very good. I remember you posting on the "Nice frameset" thread I started.

Everyone tends to love their new bike, so I won't ask "do you like it?" because of course you do!

If I went for something like this it would in theory be a lot more relaxed ride than the current main bike which has pretty racey geometry and short wheelbase (but is still comfortable). So how are you finding the Vaaru compared to the Kuota?

What do you like? Anything you don't like or would change?

NB galvanized gate and bunch of cows perhaps not the best photo backdrop :wink:

Hi rdt and yes, I know I broke a few of "the rules" with my post, was a bit of an impromptu one without much thought so point taken!

To answer your questions, there isn't anything I don't like really apart from little things like the second redundant internal cable hole which has a cover over it. Neat enough but not perfect. Also the brake cable is externally routed along the chain stay but that is by design according to James at Vaaru as it would mean increasing the size of the chain stay tubes to accommodate a hydraulic cable. It's a beautifully made frame and rides very well and the geometry seems to be suiting me fine. I've done a couple of >100k rides with no discomfort and the riding position has made me want to shorten the stem on my Kuota! There isn't a huge difference in riding position between all 3 of my road bikes now in all honesty. I find the slightly less aggressive position on the Vaaru allows me to stay in the drops much longer than I've managed before on any bike and it certainly doesn't feel like I'm sat up when I'm on the hoods.

I've actually had a lot of Strava PBs recently on it recently but can't in all honesty put it down to the bike completely as I have been upping my mileage a bit in preparation for the London 100. I think it has helped though, probably just through increased comfort and maybe some marginal gains on more aero wheels and bars, tubeless Conti 5000s vs GP4000s etc.

I had a bit of trouble with the rear brake dragging slightly to the extent that a full spin on the back wheel only permitted around 3 full rotations before the wheel would stop turning but a trip back to James has sorted that out. He was very thorough and attentive at all stages and I can't speak highly enough about him, clearly a very knowledgeable guy.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise