BBC debate winners and losers

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
edited June 2019 in The cake stop
Is it just my impression or Rory the skinny guy is the most credible opponent for Bojo?

Gove keeps going on about Corbyn, which might resonate among some retarded tories, hopefully not too many among MPs... Hunt is really beige and Javid is really not PM material.

I actually don't dislike the skinny guy, which is a first for me
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Is it just my impression or Rory the skinny guy is the most credible opponent for Bojo?

Gove keeps going on about Corbyn, which might resonate among some retarded tories, hopefully not too many among MPs... Hunt is really beige and Javid is really not PM material.

Rory Stewarts entire plan seems to be putting forward the same withdrawal agreement that May failed with. The reality is that it is no deal or no brexit as these are the only two options as Parliament has repeatedly rejected what was quite a soft brexit for mainly party political reasoning. Good luck with the skinny guy. You will need it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    john80 wrote:

Rory Stewarts entire plan seems to be putting forward the same withdrawal agreement that May failed with. The reality is that it is no deal or no brexit as these are the only two options as Parliament has repeatedly rejected what was quite a soft brexit for mainly party political reasoning. Good luck with the skinny guy. You will need it.

The withdrawal agreement is not a soft Brexit. Three years ago, it would have been described as a hard Brexit - it's just when compared with the views espoused by the fundamentalist Brexiters, it looks a bit softer.

Stewart is the only one who can appeal to non-Tory voters. Increasing the vote share should be one of the aims of the leader.
  • ugo.santalucia
    He was raight when he said that nobody seems to have a plan to pass their "Brexit" to parliament either... they don't want no deal but they haven't said how they are going to achieve such outcome.

Bojo says you need to be prepared, so basically he wants to bluff with the EU telling everybody in advance that it's a bluff... great strategy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Anyway, my queston is who will be candidate no.2, which cannot be Gove or Javid... so it's Hunt or Stewart... of the two Stewart seems more appealing to soft/remain Tories
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    He wants to bluff with the EU telling everybody in advance that it's a bluff... great strategy.
    Certainly worked well back when he was saying that the real reason to vote leave was to pressure the EU into giving us better terms of membership :?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hah - I love the BBC bit where they've included tweets about the 5 being a boy band ... "waiting to stand up on the key change" .... :D

For me (not a party member of any party)
    I like Bojo - but not as PM - he'd be better on the stage
    I don't like Hunt or Gove
    Sajid - who?!
    Stewart seems to be about the only realist - but again "who?!"
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Given the Tories will be doing the same thing in September/October it’s a mute point

Whoever gets in still has the polarised and disjointed Tory party to meld back together into a cohesive and direction driven machine it once was. No one has a clear view on how to do this. I agree Stewart looks the most capable but that’s hardly a platform to campaign on given the low calibre of the other wannabes. Stewart is campaigning on the same deal that has been voted down three times in Parliament , hardly joined up thinking ...

That is a long distance journey in terms of time with a good degree of political blood to be spilt.

If it wasn’t so important it would be mildly amusing, to the same degree as privileged Victorians used to visit sanatoriums for entertainment.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Slowmart wrote:
    I agree Stewart looks the most capable but that’s hardly a platform to campaign on given the low calibre of the other wannabes. Stewart is campaigning on the same deal that has been voted down three times in Parliament , hardly joined up thinking ...

Stewart signed his exit from the leadership contest last night when he started going all left-wing and stating he would raise taxes.

It's now looking like the BBC tried to intentionally spike the leadership debate with handpicked 'ordinary people' who now turn out to be a Labour staffer and the hypocritical iman "words have consequences" who is happy to post anti-Semitic posts on Twitter.
  • ugo.santalucia
    oh well, it was just me then...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,613
    No. But he hadn't prepared quite as well as he thought. He may well be treating it as a dry run for next time... maybe in November.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    When may got the job I thought the one after her would be the better time to go for the pm spot. Show your face bit make sure you got knocked out. But TM just went straight in and this was definitely predictable.

This time I think is the same. Get you face seen, put on a decent show but get knocked out preferably at the last possible time before the membership vote. Let some other idiot move on Brexit. Then you pick up the pieces after Brexit. Perhaps Rory Stewart has done that.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I was impressed by Stewart’s response to being knocked out of the leadership contest. He spoke with more authenticity, dignity and intelligence in 3 minutes than I’ve heard from the combined output from the Tories and Labour.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Whoever gets the job will be gone within a year. Brexit can only be delivered in one way - over the cliff with no deal. Which will utterly screw the country.

So they'll either screw the country or screw their own party by trying to do what May did. That any of them want the job just shows what utterly awful, narcissistic individuals they all are.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    rjsterry wrote:
    No. But he hadn't prepared quite as well as he thought. He may well be treating it as a dry run for next time... maybe in November.

Very possibly. He's managed to significantly increase his profile and was the only one standing from a completely different position to Boris so could be well placed when it inevitably goes to ratshit in the autumn.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    Will they make a series out of it?

Britain's Got the Pop Factor... and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice Prime Minister.

I can't help feeling that the contest is being run like Strictly Come Dancing or Bake Off

The older I get, the better I was.

• I thought Rory Stewart made the most sense and was realistic about tax, Brexit etc, however this inevitably ended up with him being next out!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I genuinely cannot see a leader anywhere in parliament, in any party.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Whoever is PM needs the political nous and muscle to bully/bribe/blackmail enough MPs to vote their way. May had none of it, but Boris has plenty.

He may not have enough to pull off a Brexit vote, and he's an odious individual, but he may be the best man for the job.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Watched Bojo interview last night and I almost had the feeling he was trying to get out of the job... he faffed and tried to be very vague on specific questions about the backstop and trade agreements, almost as if he had second toughts about becoming PM at this stage in time.
    Are people really going to vote for him only because he has a reputation for winning elections? There is no election and if there was going to be one soon, then it's obvious it's because Brexit has gone pear shaped and the tories wouldn't stand a chance, Boris or else
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Watched Bojo interview last night and I almost had the feeling he was trying to get out of the job... he faffed and tried to be very vague on specific questions about the backstop and trade agreements, almost as if he had second toughts about becoming PM at this stage in time.
    Are people really going to vote for him only because he has a reputation for winning elections? There is no election and if there was going to be one soon, then it's obvious it's because Brexit has gone pear shaped and the tories wouldn't stand a chance, Boris or else

Now who does that remind me of.. Oh yes:

1546707506731.jpg