Front Maxle Lever Snapped off, How do I manage to get off the thru axle?

Ashton Danci
Ashton Danci Posts: 11
edited July 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
have this issue on my 2016 Pinnacle Iroko that I bought 2nd hand for £175 Online, Ofcourse buying 2nd hand bikes can come with issues if not weary of them like me. I Notices the front maxle but never thought much of it, it was until I got a slash through mg wheel where I realised I need to get a new tyre, I took it halfords and they didnt know how to get off the front wheel, Not Im stranded questioning nyself on what could I possibily do...

http://imgur.com/a/5ANNSJU

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'm guessing a drill will need to be involved...

If you can't release the pressure on the cam, presumably drilling it out would work, then its just a matter of getting some purchase on the inside of the maxle to wind it all out?

But please don't take my advice! Interested to see what the solution ends up being.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    I'm guessing a drill will need to be involved...

If you can't release the pressure on the cam, presumably drilling it out would work, then its just a matter of getting some purchase on the inside of the maxle to wind it all out?

But please don't take my advice! Interested to see what the solution ends up being.
    I was thinking of that but I dont see how it would work, would the end off the drill attempt to unscrew it while it spinning? And would there be any specific head on the drill I would use? As you can tell Im not good with my bikes haha
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    If the lever has snapped, presumably there is no tension and it just needs unscrewing?
    Can you grip the protruding bit with mole grips/stilsons? Or cut a slot across it to allow you to use a bar to lever it.

Alternatively, you might be able to use an extractor drill bit if you can get a pilot hole drilled into the axle from the lever end.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-extract ... eces/1112v
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    OK, I'm going to state the bleedin' obvious, just so that you don't forget.

# When trying to drill out, ensure that you put the drill in at the correct end so that the torque loosens the screw instead of tightening it.
    # If using an extraction tool designed to rotate anti-clockwise, use a drill with a counter rotation facility. Same caution as before.

As for "extraction tool" - anything sharp and sturdy that will dig in will do the job. How about a file? Knock it in to the soft metal of the Maxle shaft and turn the file with a pair of Mole grips. Same caution as before.

Good luck. Please let us know how you got on and what worked in the end. :)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    OK, I'm going to state the bleedin' obvious, just so that you don't forget.

# When trying to drill out, ensure that you put the drill in at the correct end so that the torque loosens the screw instead of tightening it.
    # If using an extraction tool designed to rotate anti-clockwise, use a drill with a counter rotation facility. Same caution as before.

As for "extraction tool" - anything sharp and sturdy that will dig in will do the job. How about a file? Knock it in to the soft metal of the Maxle shaft and turn the file with a pair of Mole grips. Same caution as before.

Good luck. Please let us know how you got on and what worked in the end. :)

:lol::lol::lol: Def worth saying
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd be interested to know why the lever snapped off is the axle seized in the fork?

As they should be lightly greased.

Can you not turn the axle with a pair of mole grips as suggested earlier on.
  • swod1 wrote:
    I'd be interested to know why the lever snapped off is the axle seized in the fork?

As they should be lightly greased.

Can you not turn the axle with a pair of mole grips as suggested earlier on.
    I have no clue on why it snapped off, I purchased the bike 2nd hand and it came like that so thats maybe why it went so cheap. I will try turning it when I get it back as its at the bike shop getting its derailiur replaced after it snapped off on me at random
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Ask the bike shop to have a look at it while it's there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Ask the bike shop to have a look at it while it's there.
    Have done thanks, Hopefully they will know what to do unlike halfords, If not I will try the mole grips and if that doesnt work ill use a drill on it most likely
  • Alejandrosdog
    Im having difficulty visualising this, the cam lever bit is snapped off, ok I get that.

Doesnt that leave the rest of it there? i.e. simple to get hold of with some pliers and turn round? if snapped off in the locked position (not sure thats possible?) cant you just undo the small (2.5mm?) hex bolt

Im sure the bike shop will sort it for you.
  • Im having difficulty visualising this, the cam lever bit is snapped off, ok I get that.

Doesnt that leave the rest of it there? i.e. simple to get hold of with some pliers and turn round? if snapped off in the locked position (not sure thats possible?) cant you just undo the small (2.5mm?) hex bolt

Im not too sure if there is an hex bolt, if so where would it be? I have attatched a link, thats all the images of the maxle.

• Alejandrosdog
    Im having difficulty visualising this, the cam lever bit is snapped off, ok I get that.

Im not too sure if there is an hex bolt, if so where would it be? I have attatched a link, thats all the images of the maxle.

Have you got a picture of the drive side? i.e. not the brake side?
  • Im having difficulty visualising this, the cam lever bit is snapped off, ok I get that.

Have you got a picture of the drive side? i.e. not the brake side?
    Yep I believe its on the imigur, justs scroll down or across and you should see it
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The bit sticking out of the drive side is what you need to turn, get some mole grips on it.

The way the Maxle works is that there's a slot in the end of the axle which you have sticking out, you put the lever into that slot to tighten/loosen the axle, finishing it off with the lever. As the lever's gone, you need to rotate the axle another way, such as mole grips.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    The bit sticking out of the drive side is what you need to turn, get some mole grips on it.

The way the Maxle works is that there's a slot in the end of the axle which you have sticking out, you put the lever into that slot to tighten/loosen the axle, finishing it off with the lever. As the lever's gone, you need to rotate the axle another way, such as mole grips.

Thankyou for the help I really aporiciate it, When I get the bike back for my local bike store I will do that if they dont have a soloution
  • Alejandrosdog
    whyamihere wrote:

Wot he sed
  • whyamihere wrote:

Wot he sed
    Yep will try that, Thanks alot for the help also
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Shops are meant to solve problems like this ffs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Shops are meant to solve problems like this ffs.
    He did say "If the shop don't have a solution" - which, if it's anyway a 1/2 decent shop, they'll have done it by now ... if they can't then, either they're not very good or it may well be a tougher problem to fix...

I take my bike into the shop when I can't remove an item with the normal tool (usually the bottom bracket) - because their tools are better and they've had more experience in removing stubborn items from bikes ... plus they fit the new one for me
  • Shops are meant to solve problems like this ffs.
    Took it to both Halfords and Decathlon which are the 2 main bike mechanics around here but they have only given soloutions and not offered any service to do it.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Did you say "and how much would that be for you to fix it for me?"
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Has it come back from the shop yet?
  • Has it come back from the shop yet?
    Yep the bike it back from the shop now
  • steve_sordy

And?
  • Alejandrosdog

And?

Come on we want to know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    I guess we’ll never know
  • steve_sordy
    After all that collective careful thought and help, it would have been nice to see how it ended. We all may need to know one day.
  • Alejandrosdog
    After all that collective careful thought and help, it would have been nice to see how it ended. We all may need to know one day.

I think most of us can use pliers though :)