C2W Hybrid advice.

MrMister111
MrMister111 Posts: 74
edited July 2019 in Commuting general
Thinking of getting C2W scheme. Thinking a hybrid is best for me. Will be on road, but gravel cycle tracks, grassy sea front, small hills etc.

I'd like front suspension that has lock out.

Looking at no more than £700, as want to see how I go. Heard good and bad on Boardman, but can get from just about any bike shop now.

Wouldn't want too expensive anyway as would try and use to go short distances and lock up where I would normally use my car.

Would prefer to be light just for getting in/out of house as have to store inside, maybe if easy peasy to remove wheels for storing a bonus to.

Don't know what's good/bad, I know you can spend 000's on just gears for example, I don't need this just a basic bike really to try and get around more.

Also heard good/bad about certain shops to get from, is the build of it that important as long as you check it when get it for security etc?

Thanks

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'd be worried about locking a £700 bike outside especially a hybrid as they're popular with thieves as they're easy to move on.

Aside form that the Boardman hybrids do look excellent value. If you buy from Halfords make sure you join British Cycling prior to purchase as you'll then get 10% off your purchase.
  • Thanks, yes I'd be nervous everywhere leaving it out of sight tbh, way of world today unfortunately. Reason little nervous about spending this much....

Not knowing much about bikes is there much difference (£100 price wise), in the MTX 8.6 and 8.8?

So using C2W the £650 if joined British cycling would really be £585 so would only need say £600 in C2W vouchers? It's just you can't add anything cash on top so if code wasn't accepted or anything be stuck...

Think some say Boardman are just halfords own brand, and slightly bad name? but in price range or cheaper anything else like them?

Thanks
  • Boardmans are sold exclusively in the Uk through Halfords (and Cycle Republic), but they aren't a Halford's brand.
    They are good bits of kit - some of the best specced bikes out there if you are buying from a retailer.
    There is an issue with brand snobbery and poor sales/tech staff in some branches of Halfords (although I hear less complaints on here now, so i assume that is changing).

Might also be worth checking your nearest GoOutdoors - don't know about commuting bikes, but the Calibre range of mountain bikes are some of the best reviewed bikes in their price bracket.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • ham76
    ham76 Posts: 26
    I’d rather apply for an interest free credit card and buy a bike like Canyon Roadlite 6.0. Set up the DD of £70 a month and you can settle it in 10 month time.
    I’ve purchased a bike with C2W scheme in the past but I won’t bother it again. The saving you get is almost nothing…..

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/fitness-bi ... be=BK%2FGY

I have Roadlite 7.0 for my commuting and it serves me really well. The bike has various eyelets for fitting the mudguards and racks.
  • ham76 wrote:
    I’ve purchased a bike with C2W scheme in the past but I won’t bother it again. The saving you get is almost nothing…..
    Really? Thought the savings, and using the savings calculator it is around 40%+ though? How do you work yours out?

It's the net you pay so save on tax and NI.
  • Has a quick look in to halfords. Looked at the MTX and was surprised at the thinness of the tyres. I know it's more a road bike and supposed to.

Beside it was the MHT, bigger wheels, classed as mountain bike. Is the MHT still ok for road cycling though? Looks to be about 1.5Kg heavier than the MTX, not sure of the spec comparison.

If I'm to get one I'm pretty torn now on which, MHT or MTX. I do want to go on gravel tracks, coastline hills, nothing like mountain bike trails though.

So is MHT ok for road work with those tyres? It has lockout suspension, I know will be heavier because of this but I do want front suspension anyway and MTX has that to.
  • ham76
    ham76 wrote:
    Really? Thought the savings, and using the savings calculator it is around 40%+ though? How do you work yours out?

It's the net you pay so save on tax and NI.

Don't forgot to add the final ownership fee....I think it's 25% of the bike value.....
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    ham76 wrote:
    I’d rather apply for an interest free credit card and buy a bike like Canyon Roadlite 6.0. Set up the DD of £70 a month and you can settle it in 10 month time.

I have Roadlite 7.0 for my commuting and it serves me really well. The bike has various eyelets for fitting the mudguards and racks.

How is the ride on the Roadlite? I like the look of them but worry a bit that the bars are too low and aggressive, how do you find it?
  • ham76
    dugliss wrote:
    ham76 wrote:

How is the ride on the Roadlite? I like the look of them but worry a bit that the bars are too low and aggressive, how do you find it?

Well, I thought it does look aggressive because the saddle is set ridiculously high in the picture.

However, I checked the geometry of several Hybrid Bikes before I say anything….
    I don’t know if I looked at the correct place but I checked the “Head Tube” length and my findings are:-

Roadlite 6.0 : (105mm)
    Boardman HYB 8.9 : (120mm)
    Trek FX Sport 4 : (135mm)
    BMC AlpenChallenge AC02 : (122mm)
    Pinnacle Neon Men (140mm)

(They are all “S” size frame.)

So, I’ve never noticed but it is actually low side compared to other bikes.
    I don’t find it the bars are too low because my saddle is much lower, which sits almost the same level as the bars.
    I find my bike is very light, responsive and good value for money……
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardmans are sold exclusively in the Uk through Halfords (and Cycle Republic), but they aren't a Halford's brand.
    If being wholly owned by Halfords classes as not a Halfords brand (?) then I guess that's true.

Only owned them for 5 years now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cquisition
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Highly recommend a Merida Crossway 300 for your budget. Decent set of components for the money. I have one as a weekend bike for riding with the kids, ended up doing several 50+ mile charity rides on it (usually passing lots of broken down B-Twin's and Carrera's on the way).

If you do buy from Halfords or similar, get the bike checked afterwards by a third party. The list of mistakes they have made on every bike I have ever bought from them is pretty extensive!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    Boardman HYB 8.6 reduced in latest Halfords sale to £480

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... rsalebikes
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    The Rookie wrote:
    Boardmans are sold exclusively in the Uk through Halfords (and Cycle Republic), but they aren't a Halford's brand.
    If being wholly owned by Halfords classes as not a Halfords brand (?) then I guess that's true.

Only owned them for 5 years now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cquisition

Chris B is still a minority share holder, Halfords sell the regular stuff and independents sell the high end racing and tri bikes. Not sure what they sell in the Boardman concept stores, but I doubt its Giant.

I've got a Boardy (can't remember which model but was £500 or so) and its had a few spokes replaced, wheels trued a time or two and would benefit from a new cassette and chainring. They seem to be made of cheese.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.