Chris Froome

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I found this picture of the road where the accident occurred on the talktalk news website. Just putting it here to try and inform the discussion on risk. As roads go, it doesn't shout "You need to keep both hands on the bars along here"...
    48066435368_88f8ef495c.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Accidents happen.

We all make them, I’m lucky as it only costs cash if I make a mistake.

People whose professions have consequences which are more profound on individuals always have had my respect

In terms of Froome, it’s always easy to second guess an individuals actions but without the context or information to make an informed opinion.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    When spending that amount of time on a bike it's only human nature to have nonchalant lapses in judgement and concentration. He has probably done worse multiple other times in training without any consequences. Just a freak accident and I'm glad he is on his way to recovery. I'm personally certain he will be back for the 2020 Tour. He is amazingly driven and professional. I'm willing to put money on him winning the 2020 Tour!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Froome is a good bloke, i like his humility.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I found this picture of the road where the accident occurred on the talktalk news website. Just putting it here to try and inform the discussion on risk. As roads go, it doesn't shout "You need to keep both hands on the bars along here"...
    48066435368_88f8ef495c.jpg

I personally find it too risky to ride without my hands on the handle bar under strong windy conditions on a bike with deep section wheels. That is just common sense to me. Didn’t even Geriant Thomas got blown off the road in a race while he had both hands on bars? :lol:

Regular bikes doesn’t suffer from this issue too much, so I doubt most people would have to worry about this.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

Froome is a good bloke, i like his humility.

Me too. He looks very approachable.

Shame about his crash. Not sure if I will watch Tour De France this year with Chris Froome out of the race. Hope he recovers well and that he is back next year.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    john1967 wrote:
    This wasn't a practice lap it was a recon.An F1 driver will walk the track often with a tape measure so that they are aware of the all the dangers.Froome should have been instructed by his manager to slow down and take no risks but now with a fractured neck it would seem his career is over

Lewis Hamilton, on an unknown (new) track: "I've not walked a track since 2010, and it makes zero difference."

however to put that into context he has a multi million pound simulator available to him all year that is designed to replicate the track he is racing on in exact detail, so much so,they use settings gained from the simulator to put on the car during the race weekend and vice versa. He wouldnt ever as a top racing driver never "walk" a track before he raced it year to year, I get he doesnt make as much of a thing out of it as some drivers do, but theres no way he walks up to a circuit, hops in a car and just gets on with it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I see the 'Froome crash was faked' conspiracy is gathering traction with the twitter loons. Presumably because the photo of him in hospital after three days doesn't match their medical experience (which is watching Casualty)

However, for those who enjoy a carefully crafted batshit mental conspiracy theory, I can recommend this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/MCaseum/status/1136974196607782913

It's like Dan Brown meets Numberwang
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    6 hour surgery, 6 weeks in hospital, 6 months before he's training... it all makes sense now...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I see the 'Froome crash was faked' conspiracy is gathering traction with the twitter loons. Presumably because the photo of him in hospital after three days doesn't match their medical experience (which is watching Casualty)

However, for those who enjoy a carefully crafted batshit mental conspiracy theory, I can recommend this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/MCaseum/status/1136974196607782913

It's like Dan Brown meets Numberwang

Oh man, that’s OUTSTANDING

Had read some of the usual tinfoil hatters stuff, but that is just spectacular
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Wow that guy is a loon, i wonder if i should tweet him and let him know if he knocks on the door of his local lodge they'd be more than happy to talk to him and might even show him around.

What's with all the numbers?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I think he needs to knock on the door of the local psychologist not the local lodge. The easy thing is to call him a troll but to put that much effort into it suggests he may be a genuine paranoiac!
  • Very odd thaT HE MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ON A 42 INNER RING THOUGH...???

"So all the generations from Abraham to David [are] fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon [are] fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ [are] fourteen generations."

This scripture, Matthew 1:17 appears to want to highlight the number 14. Three cycles of 14 = 42, which this scripture also appears to want to highlight. Jesus Christ is 42 Generations from Abraham.

iF YOU THINK ABOUT IT HE COULD HAVE used a 44 or even a 39 if he had a close ratio block on. Did someone SToP him from putting a 11-18 on WHAT SHADOWY figures were lurking near the mechanics LORRY??
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That guy needs sectioning.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Nah, let him stay in his bedroom amongst the beer cans, pizza boxes and fag ends. Better that than him being in physical contact with sane human beings.
  • bobmcstuff
    I did see another good one about how there were testers literally in the back of the Ineos bus with the "new EPO test" (how Cobo was caught I am guessing) and Sky had no choice but to chopper him out. Silent ban apparently. Slightly more grounded in reality than the Masonic conspiracy one!!

Apparently until we actually see photos of the bones sticking out of Froomes leg it doesn't count. But I am sure if that came out then they would be saying it was photoshopped...
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    So today the photo of him giving the thumbs up is dodgy because he’s not got enough visible injuries and no neck brace so it’s all a fake.

I replied that when I broke my neck I didn’t have a brace either. No reply.

These people are dicks.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • As some of us are sensible and don't use Twatter, what's the gist of all this then?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    It’s all a big set-up to avoid some positive test. He didn’t crash. It’s an elaborate scam to avoid the testers.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    As some of us are sensible and don't use Twatter, what's the gist of all this then?
    Basically their medical diagnosis of Froome based on one photo three days after the incident does not match the injuries reported by the head surgeon at St.Etienne hospital. To them the only explanation for this discrepancy is some sort of half baked conspiracy involving a faked crash.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    As some of us are sensible and don't use Twatter, what's the gist of all this then?
    The gist is that too many people on t'internet are (non gender specific) d1cks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Gweeds wrote:
    It’s all a big set-up to avoid some positive test. He didn’t crash. It’s an elaborate scam to avoid the testers.

More than that, it's a masonic conspiracy and apparently most major sporting catastrophes are including the Munich air crash!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Pross wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

More than that, it's a masonic conspiracy and apparently most major sporting catastrophes are including the Munich air crash!

Here's another one: change the first vowel in "masonic" from "a" to an "o" and move the "S" back one letter of the alphabet and you will have where I am going with this.... :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Having watched yesterdays highlights, clearly Poels arranged the crash in order to get his hands on Froome's motorised bike. .
    Or the team were just proving that an Ineos domestique can be turned into a stage winner when the chips are down. That was an impressive final km.
  • bobmcstuff
    Gweeds wrote:
    So today the photo of him giving the thumbs up is dodgy because he’s not got enough visible injuries and no neck brace so it’s all a fake.

These people are dicks.
    If I was doing this as a hoax I would have stuck him in a massive cartoon cast with just his head poking out to make it extra convincing!

It doesn't matter what photos or evidence they provide to these people so what's the point trying (leaving aside the question whether we have the right to see riders lying on the ground with bones sticking out just to disprove a half baked theory).
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Gweeds wrote:

These people are dicks.

Ah, but I suffered three fractures in my neck last October and had to wear a Miami collar for 18 bloody weeks. So clearly froome is faking... :lol:

Seriously, some people are just complete morons. It isn't worth giving any time to them as they are just trolling.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I heard it was a black helicopter that took him from the scene.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Pross wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Here's another one: change the first vowel in "masonic" from "a" to an "o" and move the "S" back one letter of the alphabet and you will have where I am going with this.... :P
    Clearly an attempt by the jesuit to take out illuminatae agent froome.
    If you look close at what you have done it is an exchange of vowels.
  • redvision wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

These people are dicks.

Ah, but I suffered three fractures in my neck last October and had to wear a Miami collar for 18 bloody weeks. So clearly froome is faking... :lol:

Seriously, some people are just complete morons. It isn't worth giving any time to them as they are just trolling.

Even my dog when it had to have a nail removed, had a plastic cone on its head