Chris Froome

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Who was the '07 favourite?
    Wikipedia claims Vino - which sounds plausible
  • theknowledge
    theknowledge Posts: 223
    I was googling how balsamic vinegar is made, and once I'd typed "how is" the first suggestion was "how is Chris Froome"

Do this show that lots of people are googling that, or that from my browsing history Google knows I'm interested in cycling?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Graeme_S wrote:
    He was a truly great champion
  • Alejandrosdog
    I'd expect him to be back 100% fit next year, obviously if there are lasting complications from the injuries that's different but assuming he is clear to train in 6 months I think that gives him enough time to get fit - if he is "recovered" in 6 months then he'll be doing rehab work before that some of which will include cycling even if it's on a trainer.

Mentally though who knows, he may decide to walk away, I don't think he will but I'd understand if he did.

The other complication would be if Ineos, especially Bernal, wins the Tour. Froome would probably come back at least as joint number 1 if Thomas won a second but it'd be hard to deny a 23-24 year old Bernal sole leadership if he went into 2020 as Tour champion.

I'd like Froome to ride another 2-3 years at least - often when a big champion is in the closing years of their career their popularity increases as the invincibility slides - the Steve Davis phenomenon.

Latest quote is from the orthopaedic surgeon who says 6months providing they don't need to do any more work and there are no complications. they always seem to over egg the pudding and so i hope he's back in under 6 months.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You only have to watch the crash on Tuesday in the Women's tour to see how quickly a tumble can happen if something around you goes awry. One hand off the bars, with a sudden gust, on a twitchy bike, with a wall nearby and....

It does seem that there's nothing to be blamed other than it being one of those things that sometimes happens. Irrespective of Froome's status, I bet every other top rider did exactly the same sort of warm up / recon as Froome, and probably did / will do for every TT in the past and in the future. There's no blame game to be played here.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Alejandrosdog
    larkim wrote:
    You only have to watch the crash on Tuesday in the Women's tour to see how quickly a tumble can happen if something around you goes awry. One hand off the bars, with a sudden gust, on a twitchy bike, with a wall nearby and....

It does seem that there's nothing to be blamed other than it being one of those things that sometimes happens. Irrespective of Froome's status, I bet every other top rider did exactly the same sort of warm up / recon as Froome, and probably did / will do for every TT in the past and in the future. There's no blame game to be played here.

Agreed . What muddies the water a bit is the footage of his team mate telling him he doesn’t need to take risks. (When froome was putting his jacket on hands off bars) it’s a bit like the slave telling Caesar he is just a man.
  • larkim
    Agreed, it gives the impression that (as many on here seem to allege) Froome's bike handling is suspect, and that that is even recognised by the team. OTOH, if I were to pick up a priceless vase, despite having no history of dropping vases, I'm sure someone would say "careful" to me if it was their prized asset.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Confirmed by Cycling News's preview, which doesn't even mention Rasmussen and barely mentions Contador

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Right, just back from a quick spin and I took my hand off bars to drink at 18mph and I was fine. So relax everyone. It was though slightly uphill, dry and quiet. So INEOS, and I know you follow me on Strava and my postings here, if you're looking for a new rider, erm it's not me I'm way too old and slow. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,569
    edited June 2019
    RichN95 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Confirmed by Cycling News's preview, which doesn't even mention Rasmussen and barely mentions Contador

I actually booed contador when he came round Buckingham palace in the prologue, as he was disco and teenager Chasey was *obviously* anti disco.

Wouldn't dream of doing that to such a hitter now.

God that was a good day.

First time I'd seen any procycling live - turned up at 9am for the 4pm start. Got chatting to Tankink, got a wave from Boonen. Living the dream.

I remember being very annoyed with myself that I almost accidentally knocked Wiggins off as he came up really close on the inside barrier (which no previous rider had done).
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Some reports were saying that medical assistance was rendered at the roadside for two hours before he was airlifted to hospital. .

that's the French way of doing things. Same with Diana Spencer, the emergency responders lost nearly an hour and a half trying to stabilize her at the scene - she died of internal bleeding. I don't think the UK health professionals like the French system, they prefer to get you to hospital ASAP.

note that subsequent to the Diana Spencer crash the French emergency services have changed their guidelines for severely injured to get them to hospital asap.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    john1967 wrote:
    OK not full bore but still a stupid speed for a recon ride. Froome is a multi million £ asset and I believe he should have been managed better.

What a load of nonsense, there's no point in doing the recce at all if you are just going to pootle around. The whole point is to get an idea on the lines you'll be can take at race pace and doing that at 15mph with your hands covering the brakes just isn't going to work. Do you think Hamilton should be doing his practice laps at a Grand Prix at 30mph just to be safe and that he's badly managed as he drives them close to flat out? After all, as well as hurting himself he's got millions of pounds worth of machinery he can damage and a limited time to fix it if he makes a minor error.

Whether Froome should be putting on a jacket while riding a twitchy TT bike is another matter though.
  • Alejandrosdog
    RichN95 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

I actually booed contador when he came round Buckingham palace in the prologue, as he was disco and teenager Chasey was *obviously* anti disco.

Wouldn't dream of doing that to such a hitter now.

God that was a good day.

First time I'd seen any procycling live - turned up at 9am for the 4pm start. Got chatting to Tankink, got a wave from Boonen. Living the dream.

I remember being very annoyed with myself that I almost accidentally knocked Wiggins off as he came up really close on the inside barrier (which no previous rider had done).

I just got pissed and rowed around the lake.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    According to the surgeon, Froome lost two litres of blood. That's got to be near fatal amounts.

Give blood people - I did this week.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,569
    Poor guy. Terrible.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Oufffff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Two litres is not especially high for an open fracture of the femur, never mind when you have other breaks too.
    But that is nasty, lose much more and you will be in big trouble.

Glad treatment seems to have gone as well as possible in the circumstances.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Just caught up with the ITV4 highlights from the day of the crash. Brailsford seemed really shaken up. Must have been bad at the scene.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but apparently he crashed right beside the race ambulance.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but apparently he crashed right beside the race ambulance.

Don't tell this to the tinfoil hat brigade.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    andyp wrote:

Don't tell this to the tinfoil hat brigade.
    That ambulance is all part of a masonic conspiracy apparently.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to the surgeon, Froome lost two litres of blood. That's got to be near fatal amounts

BRIT INEOS RIDER RECEIVES BLOOD TRANSFUSION.

WINS VUELTA!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • larkim
    Just think of the list of TUEs he'll have accumulated now too. Definitely suspicious ;-)
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to the surgeon, Froome lost two litres of blood. That's got to be near fatal amounts

BRIT INEOS RIDER RECEIVES BLOOD TRANSFUSION.

WINS VUELTA!

Very good :D
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Froome fractured neck also being reported....stay in hospital for 6 weeks. Hope he heals well
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    indyP wrote:
    Froome fractured neck also being reported....stay in hospital for 6 weeks. Hope he heals well

https://youtu.be/JSUIQgEVDM4
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Pross wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    OK not full bore but still a stupid speed for a recon ride. Froome is a multi million £ asset and I believe he should have been managed better.

What a load of nonsense, there's no point in doing the recce at all if you are just going to pootle around. The whole point is to get an idea on the lines you'll be can take at race pace and doing that at 15mph with your hands covering the brakes just isn't going to work. Do you think Hamilton should be doing his practice laps at a Grand Prix at 30mph just to be safe and that he's badly managed as he drives them close to flat out? After all, as well as hurting himself he's got millions of pounds worth of machinery he can damage and a limited time to fix it if he makes a minor error.

Whether Froome should be putting on a jacket while riding a twitchy TT bike is another matter though.

This wasn't a practice lap it was a recon.An F1 driver will walk the track often with a tape measure so that they are aware of the all the dangers.Froome should have been instructed by his manager to slow down and take no risks but now with a fractured neck it would seem his career is over
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    john1967 wrote:
    This wasn't a practice lap it was a recon.An F1 driver will walk the track often with a tape measure so that they are aware of the all the dangers.Froome should have been instructed by his manager to slow down and take no risks but now with a fractured neck it would seem his career is over

Seriously? 33mph* isn't that fast to ride, most of us will exceed that on a downhill section of any ride we do.

*obviously it's very fast to hit a wall.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    john1967 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Well itdepends on the severity. It's possible they aren't sure of the prognosis or that they are keeping the worst from the public but it's equally possible he will be back fit and fighting in 6 months.

I was assuming Froome took one hand off to wipe his nose and there was a freakish gust just at that moment - avoidable but hey nobody is concentrating 100% of the time. 2 hands off in those circumstances - TT bike, deep sections, wind, speed - would seem risky but then these guys have to be risk takers and I'm sure he didn't think it was dangerous whatever he did. All bike racers (and recreational roadies) crash and you just hope you come out of it ok - there but for the grace of God go all of us.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Alejandrosdog
    john1967 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Well itdepends on the severity. It's possible they aren't sure of the prognosis or that they are keeping the worst from the public but it's equally possible he will be back fit and fighting in 6 months.

I was assuming Froome took one hand off to wipe his nose and there was a freakish gust just at that moment - avoidable but hey nobody is concentrating 100% of the time. 2 hands off in those circumstances - TT bike, deep sections, wind, speed - would seem risky but then these guys have to be risk takers and I'm sure he didn't think it was dangerous whatever he did. All bike racers (and recreational roadies) crash and you just hope you come out of it ok - there but for the grace of God go all of us.

Fractured neck as well bad news for him. He will at least have the best medical care which is something I suppose.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    john1967 wrote:

Lewis Hamilton, on an unknown (new) track: "I've not walked a track since 2010, and it makes zero difference."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/trac ... 24/788824/

On topic though, nothing in the reporting of the actual accident suggests that Froome took any unnecessary risks - it's just a freak accident. Unless he was doing a full effort at the time (and nothing reported suggests that he was) then he automatically WAS taking it slowly. 34mph sounds fast, but how fast were riders blowing past that section in the actual stage?