Chris Froome

Comments

• glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Wishing him a speedy recovery !
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Surgeon reckoned at least 6 months to recover so if all goes well he might be back at the start of next season but that's obviously if everything goes without a hitch. It also doesn't take account of any psychological damage, he seems quite mentally strong but who knows what impact it will have on him?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    He is incredibly driven. Much like Valverde. He will want to come back and win Tour number 5 an probably try for 6 as well.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Feel pretty awful for him. I can't help but like the man.

Hope he makes a full recovery and is able to get #5 and ideally 6
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Pross wrote:
    Surgeon reckoned at least 6 months to recover so if all goes well he might be back at the start of next season but that's obviously if everything goes without a hitch. It also doesn't take account of any psychological damage, he seems quite mentally strong but who knows what impact it will have on him?

I am not sure he meant 6 months to be back to having a number on his back. My impression was that he meant 6 months to be fully recovered and get into propoer full time training, so all being well, he might be ready for 2020 TdF, but age 35 and after 12 months without racing.
    Oldest tour de France winner was 36, in recent times it was Cadel at 34.

Interestingly, youngest winner was 21, in recent times Ullrich 23 and Contador 24
    left the forum March 2023
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I truly believe management should not have been allowing riders to go full bore on a recon ride.I also believe this is the end of Froomes career at top level but I hope I'm proved wrong.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Could become Britain's first grand tour winner.
  • john1967 wrote:
    I truly believe management should not have been allowing riders to go full bore on a recon ride.I also believe this is the end of Froomes career at top level but I hope I'm proved wrong.
    We don’t know if he was going full bore...as you put it

The clip of him and Poels just before the crash makes it looks like they are out for a leisurely ride
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    By my reckoning these are the Tours since 1980 which started without it's preseason favourite.

1983 (Hinault), 1987 (LeMond), 1988? (Roche), 1999 (Ullrich), 2006 (Ullrich/Basso), 2008 (Contador), 2019 (Froome)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    john1967 wrote:

Have you never reached near 40mph on a sunday cafe ride? Were you going 'full-bore'?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Craigus89 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Have you never reached near 40mph on a sunday cafe ride? Were you going 'full-bore'?

They go hard in the recce so that the roads look like they do in the race. It would be more dangerous in the race if they pootled around the recce
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    'Full bore' for Froome will be v.different for him compared to most of us. Similarly any ride on the bike can be risky. Paris-Roubaix, Lombardia, TT's it doesn't matter - it's what you might hit that may be the issue. A ravine or a wall may inflict more damage than some grass at the side of the road
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    OK not full bore but still a stupid speed for a recon ride. Froome is a multi million £ asset and I believe he should have been managed better.
  • ugo.santalucia
    RichN95 wrote:
    By my reckoning these are the Tours since 1980 which started without it's preseason favourite.

1983 (Hinault), 1987 (LeMond), 1988? (Roche), 1999 (Pantani), 2006 (Ullrich/Basso), 2008 (Contador), 2019 (Froome)

FTFY
  • ugo.santalucia
    Didn't realise he was out with a TT bike including disc wheel at the rear and it was windy... bit silly to take the hands off the bars under those circumstances
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    john1967 wrote:
    OK not full bore but still a stupid speed for a recon ride. Froome is a multi million £ asset and I believe he should have been managed better.

You think 54kmh is a crazily fast speed on a descent?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Craigus89 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Every weekend and no not at all.

#hills
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:

1983 (Hinault), 1987 (LeMond), 1988? (Roche), 1999 (Ullrich), 2006 (Ullrich/Basso), 2008 (Contador), 2019 (Froome)

1989?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    john1967 wrote:

Managed better? What exactly do you mean by that? Or was it a throw away comment that you now feel you need to defend?
  • Until we actually hear from the man himself it's difficult to know if Froome was at fault as such or wind conditions or road. Going on what Dave B said, he took his hand off bars to blow nose and that's when it happened so ultimately it could just be Froome made an error of judgement combined with wind conditions. Personally when I'm doing 40mph+ I've definitely got both hands on bars and I'm very alert of anything which could be accident inducing. However, Froome is approx. 1 million times better bike rider than me and he often goes a lot faster than 40mph so he obviously thought it was a safe thing to do. Only he knows for sure.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichN95 wrote:

1989?
    Delgado was the favourite and he definitely started, even though he almost forgot to.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

1989?

Delgado started in 89
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Until we actually hear from the man himself it's difficult to know if Froome was at fault as such or wind conditions or road. Going on what Dave B said, he took his hand off bars to blow nose and that's when it happened so ultimately it could just be Froome made an error of judgement combined with wind conditions. Personally when I'm doing 40mph+ I've definitely got both hands on bars and I'm very alert of anything which could be accident inducing. However, Froome is approx. 1 million times better bike rider than me and he often goes a lot faster than 40mph so he obviously thought it was a safe thing to do. Only he knows for sure.

why the 40 mph figure? He was doing 54 K, so that's 34 mph
  • Until we actually hear from the man himself it's difficult to know if Froome was at fault as such or wind conditions or road. Going on what Dave B said, he took his hand off bars to blow nose and that's when it happened so ultimately it could just be Froome made an error of judgement combined with wind conditions. Personally when I'm doing 40mph+ I've definitely got both hands on bars and I'm very alert of anything which could be accident inducing. However, Froome is approx. 1 million times better bike rider than me and he often goes a lot faster than 40mph so he obviously thought it was a safe thing to do. Only he knows for sure.

why the 40 mph figure? He was doing 54 K, so that's 34 mph

Initial reports were of around 40mph but if it was 34mph then same rules apply, at least to me. And a poster above mentioned "near 40mph" so as I've just got up from night shift I read that and just replied. But whatevs.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    john1967 wrote:

You think 54kmh is a crazily fast speed on a descent?
    Yeah it's not fast at all on a descent. Given these guys can put out that kind of speed on the flat.

I'm quite a cautious descender compared to some guys in my club and I still hit at least that speed on most rides.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I'd expect him to be back 100% fit next year, obviously if there are lasting complications from the injuries that's different but assuming he is clear to train in 6 months I think that gives him enough time to get fit - if he is "recovered" in 6 months then he'll be doing rehab work before that some of which will include cycling even if it's on a trainer.

Mentally though who knows, he may decide to walk away, I don't think he will but I'd understand if he did.

The other complication would be if Ineos, especially Bernal, wins the Tour. Froome would probably come back at least as joint number 1 if Thomas won a second but it'd be hard to deny a 23-24 year old Bernal sole leadership if he went into 2020 as Tour champion.

I'd like Froome to ride another 2-3 years at least - often when a big champion is in the closing years of their career their popularity increases as the invincibility slides - the Steve Davis phenomenon.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I found myself with one hand on the bars taking a swig from a bottle as I was descending a steepish hill at 30mph in the wet the other night. Don't remember thinking I was indulging in risky behaviour.

If you want to eliminate risk of accidents it's best not to get on the bike in the first place.

Sh1t happens. I'd rather not die of boredom.
  • I'd expect him to be back 100% fit next year, obviously if there are lasting complications from the injuries that's different but assuming he is clear to train in 6 months I think that gives him enough time to get fit - if he is "recovered" in 6 months then he'll be doing rehab work before that some of which will include cycling even if it's on a trainer.

Mentally though who knows, he may decide to walk away, I don't think he will but I'd understand if he did.

The other complication would be if Ineos, especially Bernal, wins the Tour. Froome would probably come back at least as joint number 1 if Thomas won a second but it'd be hard to deny a 23-24 year old Bernal sole leadership if he went into 2020 as Tour champion.

I'd like Froome to ride another 2-3 years at least - often when a big champion is in the closing years of their career their popularity increases as the invincibility slides - the Steve Davis phenomenon.

Same here, I was so looking forward to watching him in the Tour this year. The mental side of things may be easier to reconcile to him if it was a freak accident, gust of wind out of nowhere, something on road surface etc rather than his error. He's offed before, although nowhere near as bad, so hopefully he'll be back as strong as ever physically and mentally. I'd love to see him defy the doubters and win another Tour.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

1989?
    Delgado was the favourite and he definitely started, even though he almost forgot to.

He started, but the Tour started without him :D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

1989?

Who was the '07 favourite?