Summer tyres

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Anyone changed to summer quicker rolling rear tyres yet, what you all using?

Still got a minion DHR 2 on bike and fancy something quicker.

Looking at Maxxis aggressor and also minion ss in the exo/tr silkworm protection version.

Anyone experience of either tyres?

Any other suggestions 26" inch at minute so might limit my options.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    I quite fancied the Aggressor but went with Vittoria Mezcal as they are a load cheaper and looked faster rolling. Ive only been out on them once so far and seem good.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I only change tyres for conditions not for the time of year. If you want something faster but with good cornering bite then Schwalbe Rock Razor.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I put a Rock Razor on the rear about a month ago and no complaints so far.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    Great some other options to look at. Its only for a hardtail that I've built up to mooch about on locally not heavy off road riding.

I do swap tyres depends on what I'm doing on the bikes I've had in the past.
  • swod1
    I've bought an aggressor to try out, didn't think a minion ss wouldn't last as I do use the bike on rides to work as well when weather is good.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I don't bother with Summer tyres because the weather changes so much. Yes I agree it is much drier in the summer than the winter, but the British Summer is still wet.
  • swod1
    I don't bother with Summer tyres because the weather changes so much. Yes I agree it is much drier in the summer than the winter, but the British Summer is still wet.

Yeah I don't normally but fancied trying out another tyre on rear of my bike. I've saved the dhr 2 for winter.

I'm not going to put some full on xc type tyres on as you say its still wet and after the rain we've had this week.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I've got one of these on the back of my HT.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/groun ... 461-130665

It's only 2.1 as it's an older bike but rolls well and not too heavy. Grip is pretty good but more sketchy in wetter conditions. I have Conti Trail Kings (Black Chilli) 26"x2.25 on my FS and they cope a bit better in most conditions, except when it's super muddy.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    BillyCool wrote:
    I've got one of these on the back of my HT.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/groun ... 461-130665

It's only 2.1 as it's an older bike but rolls well and not too heavy. Grip is pretty good but more sketchy in wetter conditions. I have Conti Trail Kings (Black Chilli) 26"x2.25 on my FS and they cope a bit better in most conditions, except when it's super muddy.

Yes excellent tyre, ran one on my old trek but it put me off the s-works version the sidewalls were too thin and I managed to cut one on a ride to work.

Surprisingly good this maxxis aggressor on the rear so far.