Breakfast Ideas after Ride

cormacw
cormacw Posts: 2
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I'm trying to get 90-120 minute rides in before work, but struggling to come up with breakfast ideas.

I typically have overnight oats, but getting sick of that to be honest.

Anyone able to offer idea's, would be greatly appreicated

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Omelette, poached eggs on toast, eggs contain protein
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Seriously?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Seriously?
    Omelette is the secret breakfast of champions

Protein tastic

Plus it’s filling
  • surfercyclist
    I mean seriously someone is having to ask what to have for breakfast. Next on Bike Radar " how do I wipe my ass?"
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I mean seriously someone is having to ask what to have for breakfast. Next on Bike Radar " how do I wipe my ass?"

Sometimes I use toilet paper but usually pour dettol on my cat and wipe with her. Obviously I chuck the cat in the washing machine afterwords because I'm saving the environment by not cutting down trees to make bog roll.
  • surfercyclist
    Lagrange wrote:

Sometimes I use toilet paper but usually pour dettol on my cat and wipe with her. Obviously I chuck the cat in the washing machine afterwords because I'm saving the environment by not cutting down trees to make bog roll.

Valid ideas there but to be really environmentally aware I'd suggest a full load of shitty cats in washing machine as running a wash cycle with just one cat in is a bit wasteful on water.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Let's have no more talk of cats in washing machines. It's almost as absurd as the original question...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    amateurs.

wire brush and paraffin. cleansing and tickly.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surfercyclist
    Imposter wrote:
    Let's have no more talk of cats in washing machines. It's almost as absurd as the original question...

Yes because we were 100% serious... :roll:
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Vegans could use their avocado skins outer edge to scrape after breakfast thus killing 2 birds with one stone .

Though they don’t like to kill birds directly
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Wait...what - you mean you were joking...?? :shock:

I'll have to tell the RSPCA swat team to stand down... :roll:
  • surfercyclist
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Wait...what - you mean you were joking...?? :shock:

I'll have to tell the RSPCA swat team to stand down... :roll:

Good call because it's obvious you took it seriously. Don't want to waste the RSPCA time, they do a fantastic job.

ps they don't have a SWAT team. Just an armed response unit.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cheese on toast with onions and salami and chillies all melted in.

yummy yummy in MFs tummy

#properbrekkie
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Food. You aren't Chris Froome.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What are "overnight oats" ? Anyway I think the key is a bit of variety - so porridge oats, eggs done different ways, unsweetened yoghurt maybe with some fruit stuff like that.

There's an article in Cycling Weekly about bone cyclists, bone density and the danger of fasted rides - not suggesting this applies to the OP but might be relevant to those doing regular morning rides before they eat.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    I've just read that and it's quite interesting.

There is a small questionnaire at the end and I answered yes to more than three of the questions which according to CY means I'm doing it wrong...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah I read it too, it was pretty interesting but it seemed that it was more to do with under eating generally than fasted training specifically. I think if you are training hard and losing weight quicker than is healthy that is the biggest problem. It is ok when you have the weight to lose but when you start getting to the lower end of "healthy" weight this is when problems start to happen.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I don't really understand the obsession with losing weight(unless you need to for health reasons) unless you are a competitve cyclist. My biggest problem is keeping weight/muscle mass on when cycling, being super skinny and emaciated isn't a good look to me. I'm built like a sprinter due to years of weights and my other sports I do so I don't want to lose it just to gain 20 seconds on a climb. I have actually lost weight over last few years of cycling but it's not something I do intentionally. Each to their own of course.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't really understand the obsession with losing weight(unless you need to for health reasons) unless you are a competitve cyclist. My biggest problem is keeping weight/muscle mass on when cycling, being super skinny and emaciated isn't a good look to me. I'm built like a sprinter due to years of weights and my other sports I do so I don't want to lose it just to gain 20 seconds on a climb. I have actually lost weight over last few years of cycling but it's not something I do intentionally. Each to their own of course.

As I'm getting older I'm noticing significant loss of muscle mass, and an increasing propensity to lay down fat. So I am now constantly monitoring my body weight and trying to be careful about what I eat and how much. I'm even thinking I should be doing some swimming and maybe weights to help slow the decline. I hate gyms and swimming pools though...
  • keef66 wrote:
    I don't really understand the obsession with losing weight(unless you need to for health reasons) unless you are a competitve cyclist. My biggest problem is keeping weight/muscle mass on when cycling, being super skinny and emaciated isn't a good look to me. I'm built like a sprinter due to years of weights and my other sports I do so I don't want to lose it just to gain 20 seconds on a climb. I have actually lost weight over last few years of cycling but it's not something I do intentionally. Each to their own of course.

As I'm getting older I'm noticing significant loss of muscle mass, and an increasing propensity to lay down fat. So I am now constantly monitoring my body weight and trying to be careful about what I eat and how much. I'm even thinking I should be doing some swimming and maybe weights to help slow the decline. I hate gyms and swimming pools though...

Well that's the thing for even young cyclists but as you get older it's even more important to do some resistance exercise due to age related muscle loss. And it's good to still look super buff as an old man... :D
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    keef66 wrote:

I’m struggling with this too. Despite doing weights two or three times a week as well as cycling my stomach seems to be getting bigger and my weight lower.
  • keef66
    Then you need to be eating less, or certainly less carbohydrate. It's tricky.
  • webboo
    Eating less despite losing weight? Also I managed a personal best in the weights, well best in the last couple of years.
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    I'd say start taking creatine - helps strength, muscle function, brain function, skeletal strength and lean mass. One of the most studied supplements with no real downsides.

If losing weight then top up the calories with protein.
  • keef66
    Webboo wrote:
    Eating less despite losing weight? Also I managed a personal best in the weights, well best in the last couple of years.

I was referring to your observation that your stomach was getting bigger. Your body wouldn't be able to lay down abdominal fat if you were burning as many calories as you consume. Maybe reduce the carbs and up the protein if you're hitting the gym a lot?

Or did you mean your actual stomach is stretching so you constantly feel empty?

If you are losing weight at the same time as expanding your waist it sounds like you must be losing lean mass somehow.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    I'm guessing we're all of a similar age here and having the same issue, no matter what I do I cannot for the life of me lose weight. Eat less, done it. Move more, just ran a marathon.

The latter just made me eat more as I was constantly hungry. Cycling when I can but most of mine is done at 6am so feeling tired.

Now I'm having a rethink partly because my brother in law is staying with us whilst his house purchase goes through and he eats twice what I do and is as thins as a rake. So, eat more often but smaller portions, started at the gym and using recovery drinks more too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    Unfortunately, consuming fewer calories than you burn is the only way to lose fat, and exercise doesnt burn as much as we hope. Controlling intake is the only way.
    Food timing and portioning, or food group restrictive diets are all just ways to try to consume fewer calories and manage hunger/desire.

Recovery drinks need to be factored into daily calories - there is no magic period post-exercise where you can eat extra for 'free'. Food post resistance training (but not cardio) will be more preferentially diverted towards muscle, but overall daily calories and protein intake will still govern fat loss and muscle gain.
  • keef66
    Yes, sadly eating less is a lot more effective than exercising more in terms of losing weight. Doing both is of course even better.

For me the only effective way of consuming less is 5:2 eating. I don't have the willpower / can't be @rsed to constantly calorie count, but 2 days a week I can manage to eat nothing till 18:30, and then make sure it's only 600 calories.

Thought I'd find it difficult, but in practice I don't. Colleagues have tried it and hate it.

And the fasting periods are thought to have health benefits beyond weight control. It's certainly improved my blood lipids so the GP is no longer threatening me with medication
  • webboo
    keef66 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I was referring to your observation that your stomach was getting bigger. Your body wouldn't be able to lay down abdominal fat if you were burning as many calories as you consume. Maybe reduce the carbs and up the protein if you're hitting the gym a lot?

Or did you mean your actual stomach is stretching so you constantly feel empty?

If you are losing weight at the same time as expanding your waist it sounds like you must be losing lean mass somehow.
    No I don’t mean my stomach is stretching, it seems that I’m expanding my waist. However there is the old age thing where you do expand at the middle as a result of shrinking.
    I might try reducing my carbs and take Creatine. I took it about 20 years ago for rock climbing and it did seem aid with getting strong.