Di2 installation time?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Morning,

I have finally purchased a di2 groupset after much deliberation!

I have bought it from a friend (who has taken it straight off a new bike and replaced it with etap) for a bargain price but now have to install it. If it was mechanical I would do this myself, but being electronic, and having never had di2 before, i am going to ask the lbs.

After the outlay though I am a bit skint so just wondering how many hours it takes to install the groupset (my s-works is fully di2 compatible), so I can estimate the cost before I take the bike in.

Thanks

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    2-3h seems about right.

4-5 is way too much.
  • redvision
    2-3h seems about right.

4-5 is way too much.

Excellent! Thanks :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    depends if they have done it before and if they are any good and what they have to take off/out to fit it tbh

#timeismoney
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    depends if they have done it before and if they are any good and what they have to take off/out to fit it tbh

#timeismoney

Guess that's the thing. I did think of installing what I can myself and take it to them for the rest and the wiring. But then they are a great shop and i think it would be taking the Michael really wouldn't it? especially as I didn't buy the groupset from them.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i dont think its taking the michael to take a partly done project to have some bits done by them. Equally its not taking the michael to charge money and make a profit on your time. (and the fact that staff need to be trained in order to deliver the service, there are on going costs associated with running a business, NI holidays equipment premises insurances fees etc etc etc)

It may well be easier and quicker to just give it to them if youre not comfortable doing it yourself.

having said that....... its just a bike,

Ive done 3 di2 builds each took about 4 hours (a whole morning) taking my time from bare frame to finished bartaped bike. I didnt encounter any difficulties, they were all rim brakes so no hoses to be cut / bled etc. I suspect it would have been quicker if i was very familiar. I dont remember exactly but i probably stopped for tea in that time a couple of times too.

I laid out the stuff on the bench first so i could more easily visualise. all of them used a junction box under the stem, if i was using a bar end one then i suspect there could be an hour more faffing drilling the bars.

I suspect that 3-4 hours total should be more than enough. It isnt that difficult, its done in bike shops.

I havent done one for my own bike but the next frame i buy will be built up with Di2 and discs. Theres no way im gettting my local shop involved. I think theyre hit and miss, ive seen 10k bikes being set up by 14 year old saturday boys.... ive seen some good work too.

Apart from that theres no fun giving it to someone else to do and in overall time its no quicker by the time id have taken the bike to the shop, talked shit for a bit, driven home, gone back a few days later, talked shit some more, driven home. And if theres anything wrong repeat repeat repeat.

give it a go, google is your friend
  • DIY
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    It’s easy to do yourself. If you could build (re-build) your current non-di2 bike, then you can can do a di2 build. Download the dealer manual for the groupset (which is free) and have a read the night before to see what is involved. The manual tells you EXACTLY how to install and set up every component.

Only other thing to add would be to consider wrapping things like the junction B in bubble wrap with a cable tie around it to stop it rattling in the frame. Also ensure you have the little di2 tool for joining and breaking the cable connections. It can be done without but you need to be very careful not to damage the cable connectors - your mate should have got one with the bike.

If he didn’t get a battery charger you will want one of those to connect it to your pc once everything is together. Download the E-TUBE software to your pc the night before as well. Once you plug the bike into the pc using the charger, open E-TUBE and see if it can see all the components. There may be firmware updates to apply to specific components, which is worth doing and then you can follow the instructions to set it up. Once everything is working you can then follow the dealer manual instructions to fine tune the derailleurs etc.

I really enjoy building up my bikes with di2 - I’m never on a time limit, so am happy doing it slowly and methodically, leaving overnight and coming back to it if I have to in order to finish the job. Much more satisfying that taking it to a shop.

Good luck.

PP
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It's simple to do yourself. If you can fit a mechanical groupset you can fit Di2.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    cheers for the replies.

Tbh I just don't have the confidence to install it myself. I don't mind building a bike with mechanical set up, as i have done this several times now. But this will be my first experience with di2 and i think, for peace of mind if anything, getting it installed professionally is the way to go.

As I use it and learn more about it I'm sure in will get the courage to maintain it all myself though.

Does anyone have any tips or info I should be aware of with di2?
    E.g. computer software and updates etc

Thanks
  • Alejandrosdog
    redvision wrote:
    cheers for the replies.

Tbh I just don't have the confidence to install it myself. I don't mind building a bike with mechanical set up, as i have done this several times now. But this will be my first experience with di2 and i think, for peace of mind if anything, getting it installed professionally is the way to go.

As I use it and learn more about it I'm sure in will get the courage to maintain it all myself though.

Does anyone have any tips or info I should be aware of with di2?
    E.g. computer software and updates etc

Thanks

You’ll be fine Jfdi and htfu. You’ll be better for it:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've built plenty of bikes and always done my own servicing and for others (free other than parts). Fitting Di2 was a doddle in comparison even with fitting the bar end junction A. You can't fit anything incorrectly as it doesn't matter which socket you plug the cables in. You presumably don't have the bar end Junc A and have the under stem version, but the wiring is the same.

https://youtu.be/cON3w1IL_7k

https://youtu.be/OkdY9q-u5Dk
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pilot_pete
    Seriously, give it a go, it’s simple! If you cock anything up or get stuck you can just take it all apart and give it to the bike shop to fit, which they will do for a price. You really have nothing to lose by giving it a go...just follow the idiot’s guide (the dealer manual).

PP
  • Just do it.

You won't go back to mechanical, so you need to learn.

Buy some beers, put on some tunes and take your time in ze garage. Look at YouTube guff etc.

Just make sure you connect everything up before you re-assemble/ insert BB's etc and check you have a working system.

As mentioned above, give thought to annoying cable rattle. Nothing worse than assembling, then having annoying noise once you're out riding. Down tube is the worst culprit. I used to use the cable tie method of tying small ties around the ewires (with tails left on obvs), before stuffing them down the tube. I found this only works to some extent- esp if you have a wifi module in-line too. I've taken to shoving bubble wrap down the downtube now, which seems much better.

Shrink-wrapping the ewire into a sleeve with the front brake cable where it feeds into the down/top tube is also a nice touch that makes things look tidy.

If your mate didn't give you the e-fork (?) tool wotsit, make sure you chase him up for that.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If you can do mech installs and you can plug your Sky box into your TV, you can do Di2. It’s infinitely simpler than mech installs.

Remember, you can plug it all together on the kitchen table and check it works before you put it on the bike if you aren’t sure.

The only other tip is to ensure you use the tool when doing the final cable connections at the brifters in particular and make sure they are properly pushed home. Probably the most common install fault that comes back to bite people on a ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvision
    Cheers guys.

Still wimped out and booked it in to lbs.

I know I could probably have done it myself, but having never had di2, just figured I would be more comfortable knowing it was definitely all installed correctly.

Hoping to stay at the shop and watch and learn as the mechanic puts it on.
  • pilot_pete
    redvision wrote:

Not sure how keen they will be accommodating you do that! Most people don’t like having someone watch over them whilst they work...

PP
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Not sure how keen they will be accommodating you do that! Most people don’t like having someone watch over them whilst they work...

PP

Also if they tell you 5 hours and you watch them for 3, would you want a refund :lol:
  • Alejandrosdog
    He could make the cups of tea and fetch snacks, that way he’d be the apprentice lololol
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    redvision wrote:
    Cheers guys.

I know I could probably have done it myself, but having never had di2, just figured I would be more comfortable knowing it was definitely all installed correctly.

I would advise you not to even ask if you can stay and watch!
    No.1 it suggests you don't trust them with your bike.
    No.2 If it were me I would tell you to f*** off and take your bike somewhere else. No one wants to work while being watched.
    No.3 It suggests that you think they are going to take the bike and start working on it immediately which in reality rarely happens. You book the bike in, you leave it in and they ring you when its ready for collection.
  • Alejandrosdog
    MugenSi wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Cheers guys.

I would advise you not to even ask if you can stay and watch!
    No.1 it suggests you don't trust them with your bike.
    No.2 If it were me I would tell you to f*** off and take your bike somewhere else. No one wants to work while being watched.
    No.3 It suggests that you think they are going to take the bike and start working on it immediately which in reality rarely happens. You book the bike in, you leave it in and they ring you when its ready for collection.

hmmm a good mechanic might not be that insecure, but im sure having someone hanging around might get in the way and be a pain in the behind.

On the other hand saying Id love to watch this because i need to know how it goes together so i can do self supported rides is perfectly reasonable. if they dont like it or cant accomodate you then im sure they would say so