Driving around M25

bongobiggins
bongobiggins Posts: 36
edited June 2019 in The bottom bracket
After a bit of advice about which route would be best to take travelling to Folkstone.

I'm setting off from Preston at around 12pm on Friday Google is telling me I can either go via M6, M40, M25 or A1, M11,M25.
Looks like it would be slightly quicker going via M40 to the M25 but looks like less to travel on the M25 coming from the M11.

Can anyone who travels around the M25 on a regular occasion help me out?

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    You're going to hit the M25 during Friday night rush hour. It's going to be sh1t whatever way you go. I'd go A1, M11 though.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Brakeless wrote:
    You're going to hit the M25 during Friday night rush hour. It's going to be sh1t whatever way you go. I'd go A1, M11 though.
    What he said.

Worst bits of the M25 are usually the Western section from M40 round to M3. Also set off earlier if you can to allow for the near inevitable delays.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    M40 to A3 will be stationary on a Friday afternoon, despite the 6 lanes. Go the other way, leave before midday.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Friday car parking on the M25 starts at least an hour earlier than other days, so set off early.

We can always tell when it starts backing-up from the blaring horns and the change in tyre noise, it sits in the bottom of my farm.
    Also are you signed up for crossing the QE bridge.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,609
    Can pay the DART charge online (do not use the scammer sites, use the proper one) by midnight the day after crossing, so as long as you have internet access beyond Folkestone (Eurotunnel?) no probs. On our several times a year crossings, make the decision north around or south around by listening to the road reports while on the M40.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Or if you use it often go on autopay as I have, can't forget then.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    The southwest of the m25 will probably be chocka but my folks have done Preston-Surrey that way at around that time with remarkably little traffic on occasion and the alternative route probably will be a nightmare as well.

You can set your departure time/day on Google maps and it gives you the best route with usual traffic for that time. That's probably as accurate a guess as you'll get in advance, or download Waze and use that to plot your route on the day.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    As already suggested, just try and monitor what is happening immediately prior to setting off. Last night the M25 has had problems with sink holes appearing around Swanley. Not wanting to be over pessimistic but the M20 is also an absolute pain with massive stretches of 50mph average speed cameras.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I can't set off any early as have prior engagements.

Cheers for the heads up on the toll.

I'm sure whichever way I go I will screwed. More than likely will go A1 but will have a look at traffic on the day.
  • Dabber wrote:
    As already suggested, just try and monitor what is happening immediately prior to setting off. Last night the M25 has had problems with sink holes appearing around Swanley. Not wanting to be over pessimistic but the M20 is also an absolute pain with massive stretches of 50mph average speed cameras.

Seems to be average speed cameras everywhere these days.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    You can actually feel your life ebbing away, sitting on that road. I will go on it, but only pre 0530 and after 2200, unless there is no other choice.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    We usually go A1 M11 if heading for the port/tunnel from Manchester way.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I really feel for those that have to use the M25 and other really busy roads most days. I get fed up with tourist and tractor traffic around here! I'm not sure I could cope with traffic jams everyday.
    You have my sympathies.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just don't miss your turning - i was once trying to get from Lichfield to Portsmouth in a works (as in green and barely functioning with no radio or anything and has done a billion miles so its knackered, not whizzy whizzy from the works race dept)Land Roverand missed my turning and spent 4 hours stuck on it ...

#horrendous
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.