Handlebar roll that sits away from the tops

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
I've been doing more bikepacking/weekend trips by bike in the last couple of years, and find the frame bag setup feels much better than panniers. When climbing or riding a steady pace on the flat, I tend to have my hands on the tops more than anywhere else and don't really like that my current handlebar roll, like many others, is strapped right up against the bars.

I'm after a new handlebar roll that has a bit of a gap for the fingers, but remains stable in position over rougher roads/gravel. Ideally it would be a harness and dry bag arrangement, although this isn't a dealbreaker. Something like this from Ortlieb: https://www.ortlieb.com/us/handlebarpack

Any other options out there?

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Topeak Frontloader has some rubber bumpers which space out the bag from the bars, plus it has a harness which stays on the bars. Pretty effective, and several straps keep it all cinched and taut...
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... rontloader
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jameses
    That looks ideal, thanks! Have you used one yourself? Interested to know how stable it is without the head tube strap found on most of this type of bag.
  • luv2ride
    JamesEs wrote:
    That looks ideal, thanks! Have you used one yourself? Interested to know how stable it is without the head tube strap found on most of this type of bag.
    Yes, I have one. Not used extensively but I've found it very stable. Has loads of stabilising straps so lots of options to secure it on the bars and/or stem/headtube, but still quite stable without. Main use of that strap is to lift it up away from The front tyre (my frame is a medium 54cm, larger frames may not have this issue).

The dry bag also has an air-dump valve which helps reduce volume size too. Best of all, got mine from Merlin Cycles last year for only £37 quid. Might be more now though.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jameses
    Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation - used mine for the first time today on a long, hilly ride and found it to be pretty much spot on. The best compliment I can give it is that after a while, I just forgot it was there. It stayed exactly where I mounted it and I didn't catch my hands on it in any position on the bars. The mounting system with the stem strap is a bit fiddly, but totally worth it for preventing any kind of bounce over rough ground.
  • luv2ride
    ^ good to hear this. Glad to hear it worked out for you :)