M6000 Deore Vs Guide Rs

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited June 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

Currently running M6000 brakes with Race Matrix finned pads. Been to BPW and Flyup and never really had an issue.

However I also have a set of Guide Rs (the updated version) from an old bike, with standard pads, which I can't help but feel should be a better brake as they're 4 pot. I don't think you can get finned pads though and I do tend to drag my brakes on uplift days.

Should I swap, am I over thinking it, or should I look at getting the Shimano 4 pot callipers and have the best of both worlds?

Thanks.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    jamski wrote:
    Currently running M6000 brakes with Race Matrix finned pads. Been to BPW and Flyup and never really had an issue.

Doesn't that statement answer your question?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Theoretically, 4-pot should give more braking power than 2-pot. You might get better modulation and drag your brakes less?

I've done BPW without finned brakes and never had an issue. I'm not so sure that they are really necessary, so don't worry about that.

As JBA says, if it aint broken....
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Put them on the bike and see if there better.

I'm sure Uberbike do finned pads for the Guides, they stock a wide range of pads. Never bothered with the finned pads just used oversized discs 203mm.
  • jamski
    Think I'm going to stick with what I've got for now and swap for the Shimano 4 pot callipers when money allows. Sram redesigned the Guide Calliper, and neither Uberbike or Superstar do finned pads that fit.

Thanks.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    jamski wrote:
    Think I'm going to stick with what I've got for now and swap for the Shimano 4 pot callipers when money allows. Sram redesigned the Guide Calliper, and neither Uberbike or Superstar do finned pads that fit.

Thanks.

Surprised at that as they do stock for a lot of brakes and sram guides would be a big market. there must not be enough room for them to fit inside.

What shimano 4 piston brakes you looking at the MT520 or xt ones?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My Camber has M6000 brakes and for me they are fine with no complaints at all. I was also planning to upgrade them before I got the bike but now will not bother, 180mm rotor on back and 203mm on front.

My older two bikes both have XT.
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    jamski wrote:

Thanks.

Surprised at that as they do stock for a lot of brakes and sram guides would be a big market. there must not be enough room for them to fit inside.

What shimano 4 piston brakes you looking at the MT520 or xt ones?

They very nearly fit, tried when I was using them on my old bike. Probably the MT520 as everything else will fit where as the XT I'd need different bits I think.
  • foo606
    foo606 Posts: 113
    I sold my Guide rs as they stuck on in heat .Its the lever caliper is ok but the lever swells in the heat and causes the lever not to retract .
    Mine happened from day 1 .Ditched them for Sram ultimate which are 4 pot and amazing brakes but costly .