OT: coffee bags

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Chris Bass wrote:
    50% off for Lavazza prontissimo espresso... £ 2.50 for a tin of 100g ... couldn't resist, hope it's decent

review required once tested! i'm always on the hunt for good, cheap and quick coffee for work :D

It's bad :(
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    TGOTB wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Calm down and have a cuppa
    :lol::lol::lol:

Compared to sportives, audaxes are run on crazy small budgets; it's part of what makes them what they are. When Ugo says he can produce a meal for a quid, what he probably means is that, somewhere else around the course, he actually is producing a decent meal for a quid per rider.

Cooking at home, a dhal curry in a large batch with home made flat breads, works out at under a pound per portion.

Bread pudding home made with custard (instant) works out at about 50 p per portion.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds tasty! Carbs and a tailwind :D
  • keef66
    Definitely going to do Audax when I retire...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I'm not into all this coffee stuff and I'm one of those weird tea drinkers so assuming you are catering for us lot too and you've got a supply of hot water....could you say "I'm providing this, if you want something else bring your own instant?"

Might just make things more complicated to organise and budget for though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'm not into all this coffee stuff and I'm one of those weird tea drinkers so assuming you are catering for us lot too and you've got a supply of hot water....could you say "I'm providing this, if you want something else bring your own instant?"

Might just make things more complicated to organise and budget for though.

Tea of course, that is easy... comes in tea-bags... :wink:

Can't ask people to bring their own coffee, c'mon... :wink:
  • keef66
    Still think Aeropress + kettle + proper coffee. Couple of minutes tops. Decent drink. Be done before they've got out of their wet sandals and combed their beards.

Unless you anticipate them arriving 25 at a time?
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    Still think Aeropress + kettle + proper coffee. Couple of minutes tops. Decent drink. Be done before they've got out of their wet sandals and combed their beards.

Unless you anticipate them arriving 25 at a time?

It's the start, so 80-90 will arrive in the space of 30-40 minutes, it's just not feasible, unless I have one person doing only that... are you volunteering? :wink:

Tried Azeera, much better than the Lavazza one... it's still instant, but at lest it is drinkable
  • keef66
    Ah, that's a very different scenario then. No, I'm not volunteering. I'm assuming the start time is stupid o'clock at this time of year?

Is Azera the one with a bit of actual ground coffee mixed in with the instant? Think our eldest used to drink that before he discovered caffeine really didn't do him any favours. I finished it off for him and quite liked it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    Ah, that's a very different scenario then. No, I'm not volunteering. I'm assuming the start time is stupid o'clock at this time of year?

Is Azera the one with a bit of actual ground coffee mixed in with the instant? Think our eldest used to drink that before he discovered caffeine really didn't do him any favours. I finished it off for him and quite liked it.

7:30, not terrible, it's not 6 AM like the long ones.

Yes, but also the Lavazza one has some ground coffee in it... Azeera is drinkable, I tried the Lavazza this morning and I poured it in the sink... guess someone in the office will enjoy it... trial and error
    :lol:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    they drink out of the sink where you work?!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ugo.santalucia
    Chris Bass wrote:
    they drink out of the sink where you work?!

I didn't pour the all can... only my cup. I will leave the tin it in the kitchen for the brave souls... so bad!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    our sink at work keeps getting blocked when people keep pouring their coffee grinds in it, and then the daft so and sos keep tipping stuff in the sink even when its blocked & theres a big sign saying this sink is blocked stop pouring stuff in it !!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    awavey wrote:
    our sink at work keeps getting blocked when people keep pouring their coffee grinds in it, and then the daft so and sos keep tipping stuff in the sink even when its blocked & theres a big sign saying this sink is blocked stop pouring stuff in it !!!

Re :mrgreen: commend instant... do you want a couple of tins of Lavazza instant?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    awavey wrote:

Re :mrgreen: commend instant... do you want a couple of tins of Lavazza instant?

thanks for the offer, but no Ill stick to my decaff sludge :)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cafe-Express ... SwWI5b9oXP

I pinched something similar to this from the room at a posh hotel a while back - can't remember what brand it was, but grounds, conveniently in a filter which stands up on top of the cup, pour through and leave a minute or two to drip.

Win.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ugo.santalucia
    30p a unit is probably just about within budget... will investigate that
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Azera and the other new posh instants are rank IMO. You're left with silt at the bottom of every cup if you're lucky enough not to get it in your mouth.

I just settle for Dowe Egberts dark roast. It's a decent cup. On kenco rich at the mo, it's not as nice buts it's a fair bit cheaper, the decaff is surprisingly nice, but y'know, decaff, what's the point.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tried Azeera, much better than the Lavazza one... it's still instant, but at lest it is drinkable
    Just finished my Azera one and opened the Lavazza - hmm - won't be getting that one again soon ... I think I'll go back to the Azera one - I don't mind the sludge at the bottom
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Mouth wrote:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cafe-Express-Roast-Ground-One-Cup-Filter-Coffee-Bags-Sachets-BB-Sept-2019/233021226359?hash=item364125bd77:g:HX8AAOSwWI5b9oXP

I pinched something similar to this from the room at a posh hotel a while back - can't remember what brand it was, but grounds, conveniently in a filter which stands up on top of the cup, pour through and leave a minute or two to drip.

Win.
    I just ordered some of those after reading this. After a first trial cup, I'm not a fan...really quite weak. Probably ok for an emergency. Will take mine to the office to "share" :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cafe-Express-Roast-Ground-One-Cup-Filter-Coffee-Bags-Sachets-BB-Sept-2019/233021226359?hash=item364125bd77:g:HX8AAOSwWI5b9oXP

Win.
    I just ordered some of those after reading this. After a first trial cup, I'm not a fan...really quite weak. Probably ok for an emergency. Will take mine to the office to "share" :wink:

To be honest I don't recall what brand I had, the Mrs seems to think they were in a black packet with either a red or blue (not much difference then) branding panel.

Whoever suggested Douwe Egberts dark roast, that's my go-to instant. Black, no sugar, 2 heaped in a regular sized mug please. Not bad value when you can get it on offer for the larger jars at £4.50 or £5.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    oxoman wrote:
    when I've turned up to do an Audax I'm quite happy to drink anything as long as it's wet and warm and not bitter.
    You don't know what you're missing; I'm pretty sure I've never done a century without stopping somewhere along the way for a pint of bitter...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    camp+coffee.jpg
  • darkhairedlord
    Lavazza do a portable capsule espresso machine. You can also get small machines for nespresso and gound coffee. Find them on amazon.
  • darkhairedlord
    Buy a bean to cup from argos, then take it back under their 14 day no quibble returns.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Lavazza do a portable capsule espresso machine. You can also get small machines for nespresso and gound coffee. Find them on amazon.

Imagine 90 people turning up and just half of them decide to queue up at a capsule machine. It would take about 2 hours.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    make cold brew concentrate - just leave coffee in with water overnight. This makes a concentrate, which you can just top up with boiling
  • ugo.santalucia
    oxoman wrote:
    Always save the bitter for afterwards.

Late finishers will get a beer, not sure it will be a bitter... I'm all about the "last will be first", just like God... :roll:
  • 8linkhorn
    8linkhorn Posts: 12
    Not perfect but WAY better than instant. None of the aftertaste or the bad breath.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Some colleagues don't seem to mind the horrible Lavazza instant and they are going through the tin...