Starting out bike suggestions please

DS101
DS101 Posts: 14
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

I am looking to start getting into mountain biking to go with the lads who predominantly ride Aston hill
Or Woburn sands. I have been looking at 27.5 inch enduro type full suspension bikes. I don’t mind buying a used bike for the first and after reading on here people seem to suggest not spending over £500 I was originally looking up to £1k. What would you recommend?

Bit about me. I have been doing motocross for circa 15 years so am used to jumps and drop off etc albeit on a motorbike. I used to ride bike a lot when I was younger and have done some biking in Moab when I was on holiday and managed the full enchilada so am not completely green.

A few options I have seen are:

Specialized enduro 2016
Yt wicked 2014
Giant trance 1 2014
Commenial meta 2015
Nukeproof mega 2014

You guys may say these are too much of a bike I am open to any suggestions

Thanks

Stu

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    i cant be bothered looking in to those bikes as im back from a 5h hard ride. my suggestion is for under £1000 dont buy a full sus unless its a decent 2nd hand one that you know the history of.
    Every year there are guides as to the best bikes by budget - here are MBRs ones
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/ ... ntain-bike
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    I think the YT Wicked is a full on DH bike so I’d avoid that one.

The other bikes are a bit older so might be missing 27.5” wheels (make sure they don’t have 26” wheels as they are well in their way out as a standard goes with decent tyres now getting more limited and more expensive to buy) and more modern geometry.

If they are 27.5 and are in good condition I’d probably miss out the trance for what you want to use it for and look at the Mega and the Commencal.
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    If you want a good dual suspension bike under £1000 why not consider the Calibre Bossnut Evo. Great bike for the money and you won't be buying a bike with a worn out drivetrain or suspension system.
  • DS101
    Thanks for the tips guys am I best off just looking new then? I don’t mind increasing the budget I was just going to limit it as the recommendation from reading on this forum seems to be learn what you really want and works for you before spending the larger amounts? My initial thought was a new canyon as they seem to be a good bike for the money but again was going to reign it in based on the forum research
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    £1000 can go reasonably far if you choose wisely and go for an end of season bargain or go for a bike from a direct seller or shop brand where they buy directly from the factory in the far east.
  • DS101
    Bonzo I think a29 er may be too big for me I’m only 5ft 8 and my friends that ride say they would not get one again. One of the lads thinks the YT Capra 27 would be good but looks a bit much of a bike. Not sure if I can find a deal on a canyon strive of similar that would be ideal?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    ??? Bossnut is 27.5, not 29er.

btw, I'm 5ft8 with little legs, and a 29er is fine for me!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • DS101
    I’ll get myself down to try them at the weekend thanks. I must have looked at the wrong site said 29 on the one I was on
  • joebristol
    I wouldn’t worry too much about height vs 29er wheels. When they came out first that could have been a bit of an issue but they’ve nailed the proportions and geometry much better now.

That said, they probably are better at rolling over rocky stuff at the expense of being slightly less nimble.
  • DS101
    Ok thanks. I think looking at the shorter more downhill trails I am looking at the manoeuvrability of the 27.5 may be better suited. I’ll see if I can get a test ride on both.
  • DS101
    I am currently just checking out if my company does the green commute initiative which I noticed canyon have signed up to see below:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/customer-s ... ative.html

If this is the case and I can get over 40% off a bike a new a new strive on spectral looks promising. Which between the two would you guys go for :

Strive

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-b ... /2004.html

Spectral

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-b ... ection-tab

Or for same money as the strive could have the below for a direct comparison

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-b ... /1998.html

Type of riding I want is similar to the below not sure if that’s more enduro bike or if the aggressive trial will be fine;

https://youtu.be/0_1YQ_h5l78

Thanks guys
  • larkim
    GCI is just a provider name for Cycle to Work scheme. Good if your employer is signed up with them though.

A HT would be sufficient for that sort of riding :-), hardly particularly challenging!!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I have ridden Woburn Sands, the red trail is very twisty indeed. As I was negotiating it on my 29er, I wished that I was on my 27.5" wheeled bike instead. Yes, I know that the geometry on more recent 29ers is much improved over the early models, but there is no doubt that they are still a bit less nimble than the smaller wheeled bikes. If Woburn is your regular ride it's a factor, otherwise not.

Purchasing a used full suss can be a lottery unless you know what you are looking for. Anything over two years old will need the suspension servicing and that's over £200 right there! If you do get one, look for EVIDENCE that the suspension has been serviced. Look for receipts and a log of the work, of the sort provided by all the suspension serving companies (the ones I have used to date). Don't be in a rush, and ride it before accepting. In other words, no matter how convenient, I would not have it delivered to me I'd meet up or go collect.
  • DS101
    Woburn and Aston Hill are the two I would be going too mainly. Sounds like the spectral with the smaller wheels may be the best shout then.
  • joebristol
    I’d say with that sort of riding you don’t want something too long and slack if it’s mostly arsing about on bike parks but you want something that will smooth out some of the rough stuff but still be playful in the corners.

So a really robust trail bike would probably be good. I’m not up on my canyon’s but I think the strive is the full enduro bike. In my mind something like a Transition Scout / Bird Aeris 120lt / Whyte t130 might be good. So at the progressive end of trail that still has some pop but can take some abuse. The spectral might be the canyon equivalent.
  • DS101
    Yeah spectral is there equivalent. I presume that will take runs like the below easy enough

https://youtu.be/9Q3v8XkS3Ck

That’s seems to be another place we will go a lot. My buddy is recommending something like this which is enduro a lock the suspension to trail mode when you don’t want all the travel but I’m a bit worried it will only be fun at mental speeds and not playful. If I get this with the 42% off on the GCI scheme it is a lot of bike for the money

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV306327

Sorry for all the questions chaps just a fair chunk
    Of money and want to get it right
  • larkim
    GCI = Cycle to work, so tax relief only up to £1000 purchase price. I wonder if you’re getting over-excited and missing the detail in the rules.
  • DS101
  • larkim
    Ok, my bad there. They do seem to be claiming that they run a compliant C2W scheme but without the £1000 limit because they structure it differently I think. I'll have to read some more as it seems odd that they are able to do it when for years no one else seems to have found that solution.
  • larkim
    On this website it discusses the FCA registration arrangements for removing the upper limit on C2W arrangements. Interesting, you'd hope they might get some interest from keen cyclists here, especially as GCI are crystal clear about ownership outcomes too.

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community ... h-to-spend
  • DS101
    I was surprise as well but if it is the case then having such a huge discount does open up the options. I think the cycle scheme one offers the same now as well of the employee is signed up to that particular finance arrangement.
  • DS101
    Employer even
  • DS101
    I tried you advice a sat on a whyte T130S today it is a nice bike. I am going to go the trail bike that enduro is too much I think.

Deciding between the whytes T130S
    Jeffsy 27 CF comp
    Spectral Al6.0

How does the whytes with 130mm hold up on drop offs etc few reviews seems to suggest it bottoms out fairly easily. I’m circa 190lbs if that makes a difference once it’s properly set up
  • DS101
    Thanks all for your help. Got a whytes t130s on order will be here for the weekend for a real good price.