Strava Power readings - accurate-ish or waste of time!!

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited June 2019 in Road general
Hi All,

I'm puzzled by the last few rides I've done on my Summer bike and the Power readings on Strava.
I have a PowerPod which I believe is set up correctly and has been fine in the past as a guide of my power as the FTP Tests I've done have been indoors on my Turbo Trainer, which I've then input into my Garmin 1000.
End of Feb this year after a 6 weeks Build program of sessions at 5 per week my FTP was 286 watts after the -5% correction.
That's what is input into the Garmin 1000 as I ride to watts and % of FTP most of the time when riding hard, Hills, sustained 5 plus miles intervals with some shorter sprints etc.

Today went for a 16 mile circular ride, so the wind was both head and tail during the ride. 1300feet of elevation.
Now my FTP on the Gramin was 355 watts ( 337 watts ).. Great if its right but I feel it could be wrong as its a big jump from the 305 watts ( 286 watts )..

I did ride very hard for the 10 miles to be honest and have emailed Velocomp/PP asking them to check the ride file.
Question I'm asking is, Are the Garmin figures of the FTP on Strava likely to be accurate-ish? Or are they WAY OFF.

We all tend to improve fitness in spring to summer so I'm hoping they are reasonable accurate or do I need to go back on the turbo and do a measured/same as last time FTP Test?

Regards.
Tony.

Comments

• tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Got a reply from Velocomp who make the PowerPod and the ride file I sent them showed the watts were running high due to the wind sensor having issues.
    I've done a Calibration ride and its back to normal with the watts readings.
    Unfortunately my FTP has not gone through the roof and it was an error transferred from the power meter to my Garmin/Strava.
    NitrosOxide, Yes I use the Elevate app with Strava. I normally do the FTP Test on my turbo so I'm following the exact warm up - FTP test - cool down every time. I would have ignored the Strava FTP to be honest but thought I would ask about the Strava accuracy of readings.
    Thanks for the reply.

T