Tumeric Supplements

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited June 2019 in The cake stop
Has anyone ever used or currently taking Tumeric supplements for easing rheumatoid arthritis or other muscular and joint pain.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I tried some of the concentrated (read expensive) tablets for a month. Didn't notice any difference. Wife's doing the same with the second month's supply, and again I think she's concluding they are doing nothing. Neither of us turned yellow.

Big buggers to swallow!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Why not cook more using turmeric instead of buying it in tablets?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    To reduce the inflammation, rather than using an anti-inflammatory, it's a better strategy to not introduce food that might be inflammatory.

Trial and error, start with the usual suspects, dairy and gluten and of course if overweight, lose as much weight as you can
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    Why not cook more using turmeric instead of buying it in tablets?

Easier to get more of the supposedly active constituents down you on a daily basis I think. We do cook a fair bit with turmeric anyway.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    While turmeric does contain anti-inflammatory (and anti-cancer) agents, you would probably turn yellow before you could achieve a clinically relevant dose through diet.

I'm all for a healthy and tasty diet, but pretty much all the claims about 'superfoods' extrapolate the effect of a high dose in the lab to the minute amounts you can absorb through the digestive tract.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    While turmeric does contain anti-inflammatory (and anti-cancer) agents, you would probably turn yellow before you could achieve a clinically relevant dose through diet.

I'm all for a healthy and tasty diet, but pretty much all the claims about 'superfoods' extrapolate the effect of a high dose in the lab to the minute amounts you can absorb through the digestive tract.

Never tried it but a quick scan of the available research (there's lots) suggests that the active component circumnavigation has measurable effects, but as above you would need to take it as a supplement to achieve anything close to an effective dose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keef66
    rjsterry wrote:
    ... a quick scan of the available research (there's lots) suggests that the active component circumnavigation has measurable effects, ...

:D:D:D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    keef66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    ... a quick scan of the available research (there's lots) suggests that the active component circumnavigation has measurable effects, ...

:D:D:D

:lol: Ahem. Autocorrect strikes again. That should read curcumin.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Some owners go nuts for the stuff, treating arthritis, cancer, all that jazz. Oddly enough, particularly with arthritis sufferers it goes one of two ways it seems, those that stay hopping lame because their owner's a quack and just gives them turmeric, sprays them with garlic oil and what not yet claim it's working wonders, and the others that improve drastically, while also taking conventional medications, but it's obviously the turmeric that's making the difference.

If you've got the money to waste on it you probably won't do yourself any harm, don't expect much to change though other than a brief taste in your mouth.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    keef66 wrote:
    I tried some of the concentrated (read expensive) tablets for a month. Didn't notice any difference. Wife's doing the same with the second month's supply, and again I think she's concluding they are doing nothing. Neither of us turned yellow.

Big buggers to swallow!

you do realise they are supposotories?

#notdownthere,inthere
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    keef66 wrote:

Big buggers to swallow!

you do realise they are supposotories?

#notdownthere,inthere

#Nogoalnohole