Effing baseball caps in the Giro..

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited June 2019 in Pro race
It seemed that last year in the Grand Tours the casquette was holding its own against the seemingly inevitable advance of the infernal baseball cap, but in the Giro this year I'm not sure I saw a single one... CCC, Dimension data, UAE, Bora H, Movistar, Jumbo Visma, Sunweb, Bahrain Merida, Astana and (at least some of the time) Michelton Scott were all sporting baseball caps, and the other teams seemed to be mostly men without hats.

Hoping that some will be bringing out the casquettes for the Tour. Sky, Quickstep and a few others did last year if I remember, and weren't Michellton Scott wearing them too? Have they succumbed to the dark side this year? All the more tragic because a wee guy like Simon Yates looks absolutely ridiculous in a baseball cap with a giant visor (especially viewed through a wide angle lens), and so much better in a casquette!

The UCI make enough useless rules, why can't they just ban baseball caps?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Its worse than baseball caps. It's trucker caps.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • neeb
    Those are the rapper-style ones with the giant flat peaks, right? Astana maybe have an excuse for one season, but the rest of them..
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    These are 'podium' caps. To be worn as and when one takes to the podium. The older style casquettes are always worn brim up on TV to allow you to see the logo. But yes, podium caps do look rubbish
  • neeb
    I think they should just wear proper casquettes on the podium. Pretty sure several teams were doing that last year..

Lopez had the right idea with that baseball cap wearing fan who knocked him off - maybe the podium girls could be trained to slap off podium caps? That would be really entertaining and give them a purpose.. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    They're called snapbacks....
  • neeb
    I did investigate the nomenclature of the ‘orrible things but it seemed to be confused and inconsistent..
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Ackerman was wearing his like a casquette with the MASSIVE rim bent right upwards during an interview. Looked ridiculous.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Ackerman was wearing his like a casquette with the MASSIVE rim bent right upwards during an interview. Looked ridiculous.

the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-1x01-the-fresh-prince-project-the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-20894402-1536-1152.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    How about something like this instead?

1426977686170502015-03-2123.38.18.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Is the thread to talk about Spike Lee's cultural appropriation?

spikeleebrooklyncap.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Is the thread to talk about Spike Lee's cultural appropriation?

spikeleebrooklyncap.jpg

Don't forget Wesley Snipes

p-white-men-cant-jump-wesley-snipes.jpg
  • neeb
    the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-1x01-the-fresh-prince-project-the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-20894402-1536-1152.jpg
    That’s almost a mitre..
  • rick_chasey
    neeb wrote:
    I did investigate the nomenclature of the ‘orrible things but it seemed to be confused and inconsistent..

it's pretty clear.

Baseball cap:
    SD_01_T01_5092F_PD_X_EC_90?$PDP_IMAGEGRID_1_LG$

Trucker cap:
    P+6+Logo+Trucker+Cap.jpg?$b1$ (netted back)

Snapback cap:
    L-Letter-Snapback-Cap-black.43497_7f4.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Snipes and Lee are wearing those caps better than any of us could hope to...

Man, the 90s. What a time.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I was in NYC last week and saw a homeless guy wearing a Mercatone Uno casquette. I'm not sure if it was in tribute to the 99 Giro and Pantani.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Has an EF rider worn a bucket hat on a podium yet?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Sort of...

gettyimages-1134670199.jpg?itok=o0fJxlL-&mtime=1557456900
  • neeb
    neeb wrote:

it's pretty clear.

Baseball cap:

Trucker cap:

Snapback cap:
    Well, that makes some sense. But is a snapback a subtype of baseball cap, or a different type altogether? And where does the so-called "dad cap" fit in?
  • rick_chasey
    neeb wrote:
    neeb wrote:

it's pretty clear.

Baseball cap:

Trucker cap:

Snapback cap:
    Well, that makes some sense. But is a snapback a subtype of baseball cap, or a different type altogether? And where does the so-called "dad cap" fit in?

Dad hats are similar to snapbacks but the brims are different, (a dad hat has a rounder, pre-shaped brim, less flat), the front of a dad hat is less rigid and at a shallower angle to the brim than a snapback and dad hats are usually 5 panel and snapbacks are usually six panel (the extra seam giving the front that extra rigidity).

Just think.

Dave Grohl - dad hat
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8DVL5sS4bijF7hXF8U7xXNd9DLy6pFMO-Fl_z0yYDuXYwXS8MzQ

Ben Thatcher - snapback
    Ben-Thatcher-of-Royal-Blood_Blog.jpg?resize=1024%2C642&ssl=1
  • rick_chasey
    Can you tell I'm bald?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Doesn't everyone in a snapback just look a complete berk?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    "There's few more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap."
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey
    Am partial to a flatcap and a worker cap. Not baseball unless I'm coxing (and then it's naturally a garish yellow Tour de France cap)
  • bobmcstuff
    I have one of those Patagonia ones from upthread. Not bright red though, blue/grey.

I've never worn it on the podium at the giro though ;)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    iainf72 wrote:
    I was in NYC last week and saw a homeless guy wearing a Mercatone Uno casquette. I'm not sure if it was in tribute to the 99 Giro and Pantani.
    Did you trade it for some oreo's?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I have one of those Patagonia ones from upthread. Not bright red though, blue/grey.

#SkiHipster
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    #Patagucci
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

That Trucker cap looks like it belongs in a BTK kit along with a stained string vest, cigarrettes or chewing tobacco, chlorophyl, zip ties, a length of rope, hacksaw and a selection of black plastic bags.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I went to the states in 1978 on a climbing trip and I bought my dad a baseball/ golfing cap as they were all the rage out there. He never wore it although he never chucked it away ( found it in his stuff after he died) He just kept wearing his tweed flat cap to play golf in.
    Sometimes you can try really hard to change things but you just end up looking like a knob.