How to protect frame from Thule roof rack carrier.

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hey,

Does anyone else put some tape on there frame to protect it where the roof carrier grips it?

What are you using? Some kind of helitape?

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I wrapped some helitape around the downtube - used some spare chainstay length ones. Two did the trick for me but my CAAD doesn't have massively wide tubes.

Thule sell this for carbon frames too: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/roof-bike-rack-accessories/thule-carbon-frame-protector-_-984000
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I bought a 2m roll of 10cm wide 3M helitape and cut lengths and shapes to fit where needed, including wrapping the downtube where my Thule carrier grips it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    geomickb wrote:
    Hey,

Does anyone else put some tape on there frame to protect it where the roof carrier grips it?

What are you using? Some kind of helitape?

Cheers,

Mick
    It may be more risky for the frames but I dont use anything on mine as the jaws are rubber covered and I just put a
    re-usable tie wrap around the bike frame and clamp to steady it further. Its mainly on the alloy tubed bikes as I use a San Remo Elite for the carbon bike
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    On my two road bikes the cables run down the underside of the downtube so I have put a bit of clear tape on the frame where the Thule clamp grabs it to prevent scratches from the cable. Other bikes with cables elsewhere just get a cursory clean of the frame before mounting. Before I fitted the tape I had a small section of old inner tube which I put around the frame for protection from the cables.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere