I've got $1000 to spend and I'm looking to get a bike for my girlfriend, advice?

mike cb
mike cb Posts: 7
edited June 2019 in Amateur race
I've got $1000 to spend and I'm looking to get a bike for my girlfriend, advice? We are planning a 55 mile trip.

We have additional $300 saved for clothing, some tools and spares.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You're posting this in the wrong forum.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734
    How many £ is $1000 ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What kind of trip. Almost any bike will do 55 miles but of it's on road and you want to get there as fast as possible look at road bikes. If you are thinking of longer trips in the future then something more like a tourer would be better.
    Even a gravel or hybrid bike might make more sense. We need more information.

Route. Terrain. Experience.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Let her chose her own!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    a pink one. or a blue one. or a green one as its non gender specific.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    :roll: Sack the girlfriend. $1000 to spend on own bike.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    a pink one. or a blue one. or a green one as its non gender specific.
    Nobody likes a smart arse

OP you really do need to give a lot more information.
    Just saying 55 miles is not enough info to base advice on a new bike purchase. I assume she/ (you?) are beginners?
    What will she do after the 55 mile ride, will she want a bike with drop bars or a hybrid? Will she want a womans bike with low or non existent top tube?
    Will the ride be a slow pace potter and enjoy the view wanting to take a picnic or will it be non stop like a sportive?
    Will she want to use it afterwards just to ride down the shops or for sunny day rides with you at weekends or when on holiday?
    The best thing you can do is take her to a good local bike shop and see what she likes, then let her ride it and make her own decision, the last thing you should do is get an opinion off of this forum and then buy the bike she doesnt want or fit or is comfortable with.

and yes the amateur race forum the wrong forum to get many replies