Hydraulic brake bleeding woes - numpty alert!

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited June 2019 in Workshop
I attempted to bleed my hydraulic brakes as they were quite spongy.

I took the pads out but being a numpty, I forgot to put the pads back in before testing them with the wheel in.

This resulted in oil coming out of the piston seals as there was not a pad to push against.

So, I did it again...

And AGAIN, forgot the pads - and fluid poured out of the seals when testing with wheel in.

My question is, before I waste more time, and oil - does this mean the seals are fxcked or will they be ok, if I remember to replace the pads when fitting the wheel.??

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    providing youve used the right brake fluid, wipe up any spillage and start again. no harm should come to the seals they are in contact with brake fluid under normal use anyway.

If youve got brake fluid on the disc then remove from the wheel and thoroughly de grease. then do it again, then reassemble. if youve got it on the pads chuck them away.

I'm struggling to visualise this tbh.

On the plus side you'll have cracked the whole process by the time youve sorted it. :)
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I’ve cracked the process now lol.

I bled them with the spacer in and everthing was ok. I put the wheel back , after taking spacer out etc but forgot to put brake pads in- twice!

So when I pulled the brake lever, with no pads in the calliper, the pistons came out but no pads to press against! #twat !!
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    venster wrote:
    I’ve cracked the process now lol.

I bled them with the spacer in and everthing was ok. I put the wheel back , after taking spacer out etc but forgot to put brake pads in- twice!

So when I pulled the brake lever, with no pads in the calliper, the pistons came out but no pads to press against! #fool !!

Ha well at least you have a good idea how it all works now :)