Lightweight XC frame?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited July 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm struggling to find a good condition used frame, something light weight under 2kg, hardtail.

26/650b/29er not bothered.

Been looking at
Cotic soul but very limited options in the used market.
One On Whippet/Lurcher, same thing, not too common.
Giant XTC
Stanton, not many 853s, Sherpa very rarely pops ups.

Any nice carbon frames I should look for?

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Whats your budget?

fill yer boots...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?category=76
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • bobbydigital
    Cheers will have a look.

Probably £300 max, needs to be between 16-18" due to being a shortarse.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    16" cube reaction 200 euros brand new?
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-reaction-hpa-sl-27.5-side-swing-frame-black-n-blue-692535

The 18" version is listed at 1780g so the 16 should be a tad lighter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a Carrera hardtail frame pre the brace from top tube to seat tube, they come in at circa 1.8kg, very inexpensive, I have a small for sale, 26” but will take 27.5 if you go 1x or are careful with front mech selection.

Pretty much any semi decent mid 2000’s aluminium frame will be sub 2kg.

Don’t look at steel, the soul comes close but most the rest are circa 2.5kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Picked up a trek superfly alu cheap. I a large size is was a bit under 2kg.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bobbydigital
    The 853 of the cotic just rides really nice though, if the 26" mk1 is over 2kg then I guess the sherpa and mk2 soul must quite a bit more.

Not really after a carrera, plenty of those frames about, happy to invest in something more flashy, wouldn't feel right putting good parts on to a halfords frame.
  • bobbydigital
    oxoman wrote:
    Just spray it and call it a custom made frame.

I done that before with an old Kinesis frame, it's a ball ache in the end because the time to strip it and paint it, you could have just invested in to a better frame plus if you wanted to sale the bike as a whole it just devalues it, so you have to strip it all.

I like the Cube frames above, they do a carbon one at 1150g for £300 just not a fan of bb92.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Carrera (link it sig) made its way down to just over 9Kg, its a decent frame made alongside the frames for the Spesh's in the same factory for similar materials. Be a badge snob by all means, but they are good farmes and your missing out on it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobbydigital
    I ended up with a Felt Surplus 10, doesn't seem that light and has the evil pressfit but just couldn't find much that was decent out there.

Got some WTB scraper rims it runs a 148 rear axle and didn't want to run 135+ axle spacers, should be quite fun but will keep an eye out for a nice carbon frame.