Giro2019, Stage 20: CROCE D'AUNE-MONTE AVENA *spoilers**

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,646
edited June 2019 in Pro race
Doing this on a mobile phone so bear with me

giro-19-20ok-1-1024x605.jpg
"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors
    Caruso trying to get into break of the day on first climb. It's on
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Andrey Amador (Movistar), Fausto Masnada (Androni Giocattoli), Damiano Caruso (Bahrain-Merida), Dario Cataldo, Pello Bilbao (both Astana), Tanel Kangert (EF Education First), Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin), Ama Ghebreigzabier (Dimension Data), Jai Hindley (Team Sunweb), Eddie Dunbar (Team Ineos), Eros Capecchi (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Mikel Nieve (Mitchelton-Scott).

That's a heavyweight move
  • mididoctors
    Zakarin . Fair play.
  • mididoctors
    ShutupJens wrote:

very
  • mididoctors
    Gap 40 secs so big effort to not let it get away. Who is pulling behind?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Only following on the ticker so can't really confirm but it sounds like a heavily reduced bunch already
  • mididoctors
    Group let go .gap grows to 2:30
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Only following on the ticker so can't really confirm but it sounds like a heavily reduced bunch already
    Heard the bunch behind the break of 12 went down to only 24 for a while but has grown since, first to about 35, now up to 50 odd. Not heard who it contains or who has been left behind.
    Meanwhile the break now has about 3 mins.

I wonder if any alliances are likely today. An alliance Astana-Bahrain (Lopez-Nibali) would be a possibility, but also Roglic could align with either, or both.
  • mididoctors
    knedlicky wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Heard the bunch behind the break of 12 went down to only 24 for a while but has grown since, first to about 35, now up to 50 odd. Not heard who it contains or who has been left behind.
    Meanwhile the break now has about 3 mins.

I wonder if any alliances are likely today. An alliance Astana-Bahrain (Lopez-Nibali) would be a possibility, but also Roglic could align with either, or both.

Depends if any/who of the contenders bridges to the lead group over the second climb?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So I was lucky enough to do a couple of rides out of Feltre last year...
    Half man, Half bike
  • mididoctors
    Ridgerider wrote:
    So I was lucky enough to do a couple of rides out of Feltre last year...
    bit hilly was it?
  • ridgerider
    Today's landscape/geology...
    47978130246_b10402510f_z.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    Difficult geology...
    47978077038_639826fcd6_c.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    What I ate (for breakfast)...
    47978083767_82b97b910b_c.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    A local drink...
    47978132091_c798994df5_c.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    And at Passo Croce d'Aune...hmm, nice skewers
    44939481014_275669abae_c.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Crap, should have waited for the break for my PTP pick...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Andrey Amador (Movistar), Fausto Masnada (Androni Giocattoli), Damiano Caruso (Bahrain-Merida), Dario Cataldo, Pello Bilbao (both Astana), Tanel Kangert (EF Education First), Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin), Ama Ghebreigzabier (Dimension Data), Jai Hindley (Team Sunweb), Eddie Dunbar (Team Ineos), Eros Capecchi (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Mikel Nieve (Mitchelton-Scott).

Fair play
    Stage 20 of his first GT.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Roglic is the biggest wheel sucker since Quintana.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    phreak wrote:
    Not sure what other choice he's got. Absolutely zero help from his team for the whole race so has to ride defensively.
  • mididoctors
    Not going to be much of a peloton over the next climb
  • phreak
    phreak wrote:
    Not sure what other choice he's got. Absolutely zero help from his team for the whole race so has to ride defensively.

He's not even tried to mix it up. Even when he has to chase, he always tries to sit on others. Incredibly passive riding.
  • mididoctors
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

He's not even tried to mix it up. Even when he has to chase, he always tries to sit on others. Incredibly passive riding.
    The guy is completely on his own.
  • phreak
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

So? Dumoulin had no team mates last year yet hasn't been as poor as Roglic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    For a late inclusion and a GT debutant, Eddie Dunbar has had a very good Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    For a late inclusion and a GT debutant, Eddie Dunbar has had a very good Giro.
    dam near won a stage. Very strong. Finishing strong too
  • mididoctors
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

this race misses dumoulin.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Dumoulin was the strongest in the race in 2017. Roglic clearly isn't.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Superman fight scene
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Spectator takes down Lopez