May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    I would describe myself as a "natural Tory" voter but definitely don't have any tribal baggage.

It is a very uninspiring line up but my choice would be Gove as he has intellectual ballast and over the last three years has shown signs of compromise.

Gove is even more unlikable than May. David Davis is far more reasonable, and would run rings around Corbyn.
    David Davis is, by many accounts, both lazy and dim.

Perfect.

Good for civil liberties though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Why isn't David Davis standing? I thought a lot of people wanted him in as a caretaker manager.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Guys, why are you engaging with him.

Seriously.

I understand where you're coming from but, I'll deal with the post as it stands.

The post that detailed how the candidates stood in their opinion was a post worth discussing.

I'll ignore stuff worthy of being ignored but no harm in engaging with constructive posts.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Why isn't David Davis standing? I thought a lot of people wanted him in as a caretaker manager.
    Maybe he realised how out of his depth he was when burdened with an actual ministerial role and wasn't stupid enough to take the stress and exposure to an even higher level.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    With a "stop Boris" and a "stop Raab" campaign within the party, whoever wins is going to really struggle to unify the party. They're still not done with Europe for at least the next leader.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    As one of the few Conservatives on this board and probably the one most in tune with the grass roots of the party this is how I see it.

The candidates can be put into a few groups:

Front runners(will win if they make it to the final 2):

Boris Johnson
    Only one on the list that can bring an immediate halt to the Farage express. Also has leadership experience with his 2 terms as London Mayor. These 2 things combined with his popularity with the grass roots give the best chance of reuniting the Party.

Dominic Raab
    Would be favourite without Boris in the running. If the MP's 'anyone but Boris(ABB)' plot succeeds Raab should win. If not, suspect he will get the DExEU job again.

The May v2 deal candidates:

Sajid Javid
    Strongest of this group of candidates but the grass roots will not risk a May v2 compromise deal candidate again after May's compromise.

Michael Gove
    A confirmed leaver but is tainted by his support of May v2. I personally don't trust him and I question how many of the grass roots will.

Jeremy Hunt
    Killed his chances by going down the May v2 deal route.

Rory Stewart
    Gone strong on social media too early IMO. Again has killed his chances with the grassroots by his support of a May v2 deal. Not comparable as a party leader or PM to any of the 5 above.

Matt Hancock
    As per Rory Stewart but without the strong social media start.

Too soon for another female PM:

May has killed any chance of a female PM this time as while the party wants a Thatcher, there is too much risk that they get another May!

Esther McVey
    A proper leaver but May's failure has killed the chance that the next PM is a woman.

Andrea Leadsom
    As above but also tainted by voting for May's horrid deal.

Outsiders:

James Cleverly
    The strongest outsider but I'm struggling to see where he will get the support with Boris and Raab in the running. Leavers MP's will not want to risk splitting the vote and not getting a proper Leaver in the final 2.

Kit Malthouse
    He has a compromise deal named after him and not known outside that. Looks to be entering just to raise his profile for the future.

Mark Harper
    Who? I doubt half his constituents know who he is. Again only entering to raise his profile.

Both Raab and Johnson voted for the Withdrawal Agreement including backstop.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Not one would make it through a tour of Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The idea of Boris having the ability to unify the party!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    morstar wrote:
    Guys, why are you engaging with him.

Seriously.

I understand where you're coming from but, I'll deal with the post as it stands.

The post that detailed how the candidates stood in their opinion was a post worth discussing.

I'll ignore stuff worthy of being ignored but no harm in engaging with constructive posts.

There’s no point as the reading comprehension isn’t at a level where you all know what the words mean.
  • rjsterry
    As one of the few Conservatives on this board and probably the one most in tune with the grass roots of the party this is how I see it.

Boris Johnson
    Only one on the list that can bring an immediate halt to the Farage express. Also has leadership experience with his 2 terms as London Mayor. These 2 things combined with his popularity with the grass roots give the best chance of reuniting the Party.

Dominic Raab
    Would be favourite without Boris in the running. If the MP's 'anyone but Boris(ABB)' plot succeeds Raab should win. If not, suspect he will get the DExEU job again.

Sajid Javid
    Strongest of this group of candidates but the grass roots will not risk a May v2 compromise deal candidate again after May's compromise.

Michael Gove
    A confirmed leaver but is tainted by his support of May v2. I personally don't trust him and I question how many of the grass roots will.

Jeremy Hunt

Rory Stewart
    Gone strong on social media too early IMO. Again has killed his chances with the grassroots by his support of a May v2 deal. Not comparable as a party leader or PM to any of the 5 above.

Matt Hancock

May has killed any chance of a female PM this time as while the party wants a Thatcher, there is too much risk that they get another May!

Esther McVey
    A proper leaver but May's failure has killed the chance that the next PM is a woman.

Andrea Leadsom

Outsiders:

James Cleverly
    The strongest outsider but I'm struggling to see where he will get the support with Boris and Raab in the running. Leavers MP's will not want to risk splitting the vote and not getting a proper Leaver in the final 2.

Kit Malthouse
    He has a compromise deal named after him and not known outside that. Looks to be entering just to raise his profile for the future.

Mark Harper
    Who? I doubt half his constituents know who he is. Again only entering to raise his profile.

Never mind that; the "Farage Express"??

In the European elections with a <40% turnout he did slightly better than the previous party he ran despite the two main parties being in freefall. With absolutely everything running in his favour he managed a third of the vote. If he gets two seats at Westminster it'll be his best day ever.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    rjsterry wrote:

Boris Johnson

Dominic Raab

Sajid Javid

Michael Gove

Jeremy Hunt

Rory Stewart

Matt Hancock

Esther McVey

Andrea Leadsom

Outsiders:

James Cleverly

Kit Malthouse

Mark Harper

Never mind that; the "Farage Express"??

In the European elections with a <40% turnout he did slightly better than the previous party he ran despite the two main parties being in freefall. With absolutely everything running in his favour he managed a third of the vote. If he gets two seats at Westminster it'll be his best day ever.

In an election we should never have had and one that lots of Leave voters dismissed voting in.

And in only 6 weeks he still managed to get over 50% more votes than the LD's, despite the LD vote being distorted by the EU citizen vote which based on turnout would be 1m votes(a very lowball figure IMO). This puts the LD vote share around 13.8% rather than the its distorted 20.3%

I would love Farage to be retired off and out of politics but for that to happen the Tories need to deliver Brexit, not delay it or deliver some sort of remainer decided BRINO.
  • rjsterry
    People feel happy to vote for Farage in European elections because despite winning the most seats in the UK his group is in a minority and will have zero impact on the way the EU runs, let alone everyday life in the UK. Winning seats in Westminster is quite a different thing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    rjsterry wrote:
    People feel happy to vote for Farage in European elections because despite winning the most seats in the UK his group is in a minority and will have zero impact on the way the EU runs, let alone everyday life in the UK. Winning seats in Westminster is quite a different thing.

Quoting this so you cannot hide how silly you will look from this as we only have 6 days for your next bloody nose from the residents of Peterborough :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    rjsterry wrote:

Quoting this so you cannot hide how silly you will look from this as we only have 6 days for your next bloody nose from the residents of Peterborough :lol:

Ladbrokes has the Brexit Party at 1/5 to take the seat with 30-40% share.
    That would be an astonishing result.

Having just taken it last time and had their MP recalled (for the first time ever) Labour had little chance of retaining the seat and won't be badly impacted - the Tories have put up a very Brexity candidate.

(also it will kill off any other brexit party - Patrick O Flynn is quite high profile as a former UKIP MEP - he's at 100/1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    rjsterry wrote:

Those 6 finger punches do hurt.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Quote away. The Brexit Party are playing down their chances but Farage's proxies have managed to win a by-election or two before then lost them at the next GE. Let's see what happens but one seat is a long way from changing anything at Westminster.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    John Bercow for pm. Obviously.

The only one who restore order in our troubled land.

Probably not stupid enough and vain enough to want the job nor dishonest enough to receive the support of his party.
  • Robert88 wrote:

Probably not stupid enough and vain enough to want the job nor dishonest enough to receive the support of his party.

This is a joke right? Not vain??? Not dishonest??? Phew, for a minute there I thought you were being serious.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Robert88 wrote:

This is a joke right? Not vain??? Not dishonest??? Phew, for a minute there I thought you were being serious.

We're talking comparatives not absolutes. The bar is so low it could be hurdled by a very not jumpy thing.
  • tailwindhome
    Ben Bradley MP@bbradleymp

Ben Bradley MP Retweeted Jeremy Hunt

To help me win in my marginal seat, you need to commit to leaving the EU on October 31st come what may. Anything else is guaranteed to put me out of a job
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Robert88 wrote:

Yeah but this is cake stop remember?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    rjsterry wrote:
    He got a lot of votes because his party has the word "Brexit" in it, which is easy to understand. By and large Leave voters are at the stupider end of the population (the demographics don't lie) and so this has been helpful for them because they know where to press the crayon in the voting both.

The generally more intelligent remain voters or "soft" leavers (if by "soft" you mean with a modicum of common sense and numeracy) did things like vote on the basis of at least one actual policy.

More or less the same happens in Scotland, because the SNP has the word "Scottish" in it, stupid people think they must be acting in their best interests.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Your post is towards the stupider end of comments on bike radar.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Your post is towards the stupider end of comments on bike radar.
    Have I touched a nerve?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Anybody else think Donald Tusk would be a much better candidate?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "Tell you what mate, I know this Polish guy that can come in and do a way better job than anyone local. Probably cheaper, too"
  • surrey_commuter
    bompington wrote:
    "Tell you what mate, I know this Polish guy that can come in and do a way better job than anyone local. Probably cheaper, too"

We certainly seem to have a shortage of appropriately skilled political leaders.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Be careful what you wish for. Tusk will merely quote an obscure piece of UK law and then declare we are a rules based organisation so nothing can be done. This is the EU way.
  • surrey_commuter
    john80 wrote:
    Be careful what you wish for. Tusk will merely quote an obscure piece of UK law and then declare we are a rules based organisation so nothing can be done. This is the EU way.

Would you not rather have him in your tent...?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    john80 wrote:

Would you not rather have him in your tent...?