I guess it's my turn.
G19_T19_SanMartino_plan_jpg.jpg

G19_T19_SanMartino_alt_jpg.jpg

the main climb
G19_T19_S02_SanMartino_SAL_jpg-1.jpg

The finish
G19_T19_SanMartino_ukm_jpg.jpg

Description:
A short mountain stage with rolling undulations in the first part, as far as the Passo di San Boldo categorised climb. The closing ascent is short, yet punchy in the final kilometres, and the last 5 hairpins are inside a tunnel. The route then descends and levels out all the way to Feltre. After an uncomplicated cat. climb in Lamon, the stage travels across the Val Cismon (with a series of tunnels) as far as Fiera di Primiero, at the foot of the closing ascent.
Final kilometres
After the Passo Rolle-Passo Cereda intersection, and past the town of Siror, two hairpins mark the actual beginning of the climb. The road, wide and well surfaced, climbs to San Martino di Castrozza in a succession of mild curves circling the mountainside, with two pairs of hairpins in-between. Gradients hover steadily around 5%, with just very short stretches sloping at 10% mid-climb. The final kilometre winds its way through the centre of San Martino di Castrozza, and eventually levels out 100 m from the finish. The home stretch is 200 m long, on 5 m wide tarmac.

TREVISO
Treviso is an attractive town in the Veneto region of north-east Italy. The town’s civic heart is Piazza dei Signori, a pleasant square with a street running along one side and cafés with outdoor tables along the other. The dominant building here is the historic town hall, the Palazzo dei Trecento.
Treviso1.jpg

Treviso claims to be the birth of Tiramisu which for listeners of the cycling podcast will know is contested.
Tiramisu-2-300x217.jpg

A family friend who I know from round there always insists on cooking this for me:
risotto-radicchio-1140x757.jpg
Red chicory (which is grown here) with risotto.

Booze - well it's gotta be prosecco. And given it is the home of prosecco, it makes sense it also hosts the annual Aperol Spritz festival.

Aperol-Spritz-3.jpg

Star ratings:
Lopez
Landa

Carthy
Nibali
Carapaz
Ciccone

Yates
Masnada
Sosa

Hirt
Nieve

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Here's a quick peek at the Passo San Boldo that Inrng posted. Shame it's 90km out as it looks like a good spot to sneak away with all those tunnels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re-GqFsvi3Q
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    With time running out those who haven't shined thus far desperation demands a throw of the die. Lack luster performances from Popovych may prompt him into action but the odds are against him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Here's a quick peek at the Passo San Boldo that Inrng posted. Shame it's 90km out as it looks like a good spot to sneak away with all those tunnels.
    pretty. Can't remember ever being on that road.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

It reminds me a little of the Lacets de Montvernier, but with hairpins in tunnels. The TV work could be a bit dodgy today, it's not easy to transmit to a helicopter from inside a mountain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    A final climb with a 6% gradient seems ideal for a TT guy like Roglic. Having said that, you never know how the cumulative tiredness will affect people now we are deep in the race.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I guess it's my turn.
    Well done, but you missed info on San Martino di Castrozza out!

SAN MARTINO DI CASTROZZA

At an elevation of 1450 m above sea level, the small cosy town of San Martino is located at the foot of the Pale di San Martino, a mountain massif in the Dolomites, is surrounded by woods and meadows, and has many buildings in the typical timber-and-stone Alpine style with generous gardens. All of this gives the town a definite mountain atmosphere in a panoramic landscape of rare beauty.
    San Martino has a long tradition of tourism, in the mid-1800s already being a destination for English and German mountain climbers, and remains a popular destination for those wanting active holidays - skiers in Winter and hikers and mountain-bikers in Summer.

37801474.jpg

Local foods include:

- Strangolapreti (translates as Priests' Stranglers!) These are small dumplings made of bread dough and spinach, served with parmesan, nowadays often offered as a first course.
    - Tosela cheese, a cream cheese, which is usually cut into finger-sized sticks, gently fried in butter, and served with polenta, and maybe mushrooms and salami.
    - Canederli, which are bread dumplings like those found in adjacent Alpine areas incl Austria, and usually also containing onion, herbs and chopped-up cooked meat.
    - Gnocchi, small potato dumplings, hereabouts typically served with lightly-smoked Ricotta cheese.
    - Orzo (= barley), either as Zuppa di Orzo (= barley soup usually also containing vegetables, beans and smoked meat), or as Orzotto (= a risotto made with barley instead of rice).
    - Local deer and chamois, especially in salami, e.g. the strongly-tasting Salame con Camoscio (= salami made with 20% chamois, 80% pork)
    - Marmelade made from local berries, e.g. Giasena (= of blueberries), Garnetola (= of cranberries)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It reminds me a little of the Lacets de Montvernier, but with hairpins in tunnels. The TV work could be a bit dodgy today, it's not easy to transmit to a helicopter from inside a mountain.
    They included the San Boldo a few years ago too, I think for the first time then.

It was a pass I discovered (and rode in both directions) about 20 years ago when my employer sent me to work in Pordenone for a while.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    So this stage could be a looker.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Rick, why no Roglic in the star ratings?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    mrfpb wrote:

I'd eat my metaphorical hat if he won the stage.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    knedlicky wrote:
    - Local deer and chamois, especially in salami, e.g. the strongly-tasting Salame con Camoscio (= salami made with 20% chamois, 80% pork)

Ooof, as someone who loves a bit of Sauccisson Sanglier I have to try that one day....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mrfpb wrote:

I'd eat my metaphorical hat if he won the stage.

I have z feeling roglic is sliding out the back with no one noticeing now.. the giro is going up the road for him I am afraid.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Assuming the GC doesn't get massively shaken up between now and the ITT, what sort of mix up should that final test bring based on the current top 10? With the exception of the Nibali / Roglic gap and Majka / Yates, there doesn't look to be much which is bridgeable over a short TT?

CARAPAZ Richard
    NIBALI Vincenzo 01’ 54”
    ROGLIC Primoz 02’ 16”
    LANDA MEANA Mikel 03’ 03”
    MOLLEMA Bauke 05’ 07”
    LOPEZ Miguel Angel 06’ 17”
    MAJKA Rafal 06’ 48”
    YATES Simon Philip 07’ 13”
    SIVAKOV Pavel 08’ 21”
    FORMOLO Davide 08’ 59”
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mididoctors
    Break
    88 Serry (DQT) 34th at 1h06:17
    12 Bidard (ALM) 35th at 1h08:44
    134 Chaves (MTS) 39th at 1h13:58
    28 Vendrame (ANS) Y 51st at 1h37:36
    71 Antunes (CCC) 57th at 1h44:11
    57 Senni (BRD) 66th at 2h06:25
    33 Boaro (AST) 93rd at 3h01:24
    215 Marcato (UAD) 110th at 3h27:29
    148 Santaromita (NIP) 112nd at 3h30:33
    141 Canola (NIP) 117th at 3h44:23
    104 Le Gac (GFC) 118th at 3h48:40
  • rick_chasey
    Less firepower than I was expecting.
  • mididoctors
    6 Min gap a few riders trying to bridge with differing chances of success
  • mididoctors
    it's Bout who feels fresh now I think? Chavez may make amends for yesterday
  • mididoctors
    Serry is no slouch
  • rick_chasey

If he can.

I feel it’s gonna be a little underwhelming with Movistar strangling the race Sky style.
  • mididoctors

If he can.

I feel it’s gonna be a little underwhelming with Movistar strangling the race Sky style.
    they are no slouchs either
  • That's pretty impressive watching them up the San Boldo
  • ....so Eurosport show Wiggins' mug instead of the peloton ascending....
  • Stunning climb. So why are we watching a bloody sofa?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ....so Eurosport show Wiggins' mug instead of the peloton ascending....
    Rob Hatch may have needed a Dumoulin.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Good place/day for a bike ride ! Breakaway are believers after Peters and Cima .
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    ....so Eurosport show Wiggins' mug instead of the peloton ascending....
    Rob Hatch may have needed a Dumoulin.
    C'est le lol
  • mididoctors
    Movistar full UK postal then launch landa?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Anybody in the break ever won anything apart from Chaves?
  • rick_chasey
    Movistar full UK postal then launch landa?

Yes that's what I would be doing as their DS.
  • mididoctors
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Anybody in the break ever won anything apart from Chaves?
    would have to Google to find out