SuperSix rim and disc variants - anyone compared?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Currently have SuperSix (rim brake) as main summer bike and disc Synapse as winter bike. I really don't seem able to get on with the Synapse however, even though I've tried to replicate position etc., it just feels less "alive" somehow. I am half wondering whether to look out for a disc SuperSix frame and swap the bits over onto it. Has anyone got any direct experience of both the rim- and disc-braked SuperSix? How do they compare? I absolutely love the SuperSix, would the disc version be as sprightly or is this a disc road bike thing? The Synapse is maybe a kilo (max) heavier, but that shouldn't make that much difference i wouldn't have thought.

ps - I am aware of the different geometry of the Synapse vs SuperSix before I am told to expect them to be different, I do know :wink: this post is more a Q about direct comparison between the SuperSix variants I guess.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Not really a help and somewhat anecdotally, but an ex team mate has a System Six disc brake version and raves about.
    He previously had the rim brake version for the 6 years or so. He was given the CAAD12 disc brake as a winter training bike and strangely hated it. When he got the System Six disc he is constantly telling us all how good it is...and I mean constantly, like a new dad type proud!!
    (He also hates the synapse as well)
    I’m also a big fan of the supersix, be interesting to see what the 2020 Supersix looks like. Likely to be out end of June.
  • munkster
    Interesting. I’ve seen far less helpful replies so this is all good many thanks.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    going rim to disc isn't an upgrade or downgrade - its just an alternative.

if you fancy doing it go for it. don't think it will change your life but if it makes you hppy then deal deal ian beale.

remember also that things like wheels and tires will make a big difference to how a bike feels, so the new supersix frame with biff Synapse wheels may still feel pants.

#smiles
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • munkster
    I'm not saying it *is* an upgrade or a downgrade, just that it is "different", if my disc Synapse/rim SS comparison is anything to go by. What I'm interested in is whether anyone has compared the two SS variants like I say. I do fancy going for it, that's why I'm even considering it, but I don't want my heart to rule my head (and my wallet!!) if I am going to end up with another disc bike that feels like the Synapse does, ie. not right for me.

For info, the Synapse doesn't have stock wheels (has some Novatec 50mm carbon things, and more recently some alu handbuilt jobs from Malcolm) so can't pin it on the wheels, I know that the stock wheels would be a source of displeasure for many.

All good discussion, either way, cheers!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I don’t think the System Six will ever feel like the Synapse. In the same way my Domane will never feel like my Aeroad.....
    I honestly don’t think there will be any difference in the bike feel between the disc and rim variants. Sounds to me like you would also dislike the rim brake version of the Synapse.
    Sorry not answering your question, just my thoughts. I’d still wait until end of June / July to see what happens with the System Six. Might then be some bargains on the older model as well.
  • munkster
    SystemSix is a different bike to the SuperSix though right?

Suspect I’ll be going secondhand for a frame swap TBH...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Harder to fit proper mudguards to a SS than a Synapse - not sure I'd get a winter bike that doesn't take decent mudguards......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • munkster
    I use Raceblades (and did when my SS used to be my winter bike) so should be fine but good call.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    You are not alone.

I bought a carbon disc Synapse as a winter bike and also hated it.

I got swayed by the sales blurb of super comfortable but still stiff when you put the power down and wanted to treat myself.

It felt dead and lethargic, not only compared to my light stiff summer bike but also my old, much heavier and cheaper winter bike. A 2014 Boardman CX team.

I persevered for over 4000 miles before getting rid but never liked it.

It doesn't answer your question but it probably helps to know you're definitely not imagining things as others are almost suggesting :D
  • munkster
    It felt dead and lethargic, not only compared to my light stiff summer bike but also my old, much heavier and cheaper winter bike. A 2014 Boardman CX team.

Crikey that's pretty damning. I *had* a 2014 Boardman CX team and actively loathed every second of it, I don't dislike the Synapse nearly that much, I don't "dislike" it at all in fact, I just really honestly don't like it *as much* as my SuperSix... Maybe that's the same thing!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    You guys are too fussy... that said, if I was to buy a Cannondale, I'd get a Supersix with rim brakes
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Road cyclists accused of being "too fussy"? Surely not! :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    munkster wrote:

My Dolan Dual is fine, I am sure there are better frames out there and faster wheels and stiffer forks, but I am quite happy and can't be bothered to look for upgrades... I don't even like it :lol:
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    munkster wrote:

My Dolan Dual is fine, I am sure there are better frames out there and faster wheels and stiffer forks, but I am quite happy and can't be bothered to look for upgrades... I don't even like it :lol:

:lol::lol:

Just dialing in the fit on a new bike takes me weeks, sometimes months.
  • ugo.santalucia
    W12 lad wrote:

That's why it's best not to change... :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    W12 lad wrote:
    munkster wrote:

:lol::lol:

seriously? months?

#seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    W12 lad wrote:
    You are not alone.

I bought a carbon disc Synapse as a winter bike and also hated it.

I got swayed by the sales blurb of super comfortable but still stiff when you put the power down and wanted to treat myself.

I persevered for over 4000 miles before getting rid but never liked it.

It doesn't answer your question but it probably helps to know you're definitely not imagining things as others are almost suggesting :D

I have a similar experience but with a relatively high end trek domane with fairly decent carbon wheels on (that it came with).

Felt dull as dish water. Person who bought it off me loved it but I really didn't rate it.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    For me hood shape and length need to be considered as the hydraulic STIs on my Roubaix increase the reach considerably.
  • munkster
    Don’t think it’s to do with reach TBH...
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    I changed from a 2012 Supersix to a Supersix Evo HM Disc last year, it feels at least as alive as the old rim version with some added comfort due to the changes on the Evo. I haven't ridden a Synapse so can't compare how that feels.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    munkster wrote:
    Don’t think it’s to do with reach TBH...
    What do you mean?
  • munkster
    What do you mean?

I mean I don’t think it’s the position, it’s fairly comfortable I just don’t “feel” it, like the other respondents have suggested, I guess. It’s not awful, not to me anyway, it’s just not like my SS which I find sublime.

I may be wrong and it is some sort of fit issue but I have tried to replicate position so can’t think it is wholly that.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ive got a super six HM ive had it for years, it is by far the most enjoyable bike to ride ive had. Ive got some deeper wheels (303) and also some shallower light wheels. the 303's make it a bit faster but the shallower ones bring it alive. Really good bike.

Mine is the version before the current one, i rode a current ss with discs on and off for a few weeks, it was a different bike, same assured, flickable superbike but the didnt ever feel alive in the same way as the the rim brake version did with shallow rims.

Still a really really good bike though :)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    W12 lad wrote:

Fit should be the same, surely?

With proper use of geometry charts and measuring you should be able to set the contact points exactly the same as on previous bikes.

All my bikes are set up identically as regards saddle height and saddle setback from the BB, saddle to bar distance and saddle to bar drop, irrespective of frame geometry (and they all have the same model of saddle). That way you can make meangful comparisons!